Hot water heater in attic = insane

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #41  
Amen to the drain valves. A full heater in the attic is about as bad as it gets. Lucky for me, the owner is the Lumber Yard owner and he is furnishing his own heaters and has agreed to putting the new ones up there and getting the old ones out. I wasn't born yesterday.

Does he charge more if you watch?:laughing::laughing:

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #42  
With a spray foamed house havac in the attic is fine since the attic is essentially conditioned space. All the ductwork is operating in the same temperature as what is in the living space. To each his own on the placement of the water heater in the attic, but it seems like a good use of space to me if a proper drain pan is installed. And again, with a spray foamed attic there is no chance of freezing pipes associated with the water heater.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #43  
A guy I knew a couple of years ago said he had a heat stroke and passed out while servicing a HVAC unit in an attic. There were other guys on the job who pulled him out of the attic. If he had passed out without anybody around to pull him out, he might have died.

Summer attic heat is a pretty good reason not to put any plumbing or HVAC equipment in an unconditioned attic space.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #44  
A guy I knew a couple of years ago said he had a heat stroke and passed out while servicing a HVAC unit in an attic. There were other guys on the job who pulled him out of the attic. If he had passed out without anybody around to pull him out, he might have died.

Summer attic heat is a pretty good reason not to put any plumbing or HVAC equipment in an unconditioned attic space.

True enough...

In my area, none of the homes have A/C and climate is mild... the copper water lines are exposed and never freeze.

I can see where in harsher climates the temps will fluctuate to a greater degree... it would be problematic

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #45  
Our outdoor temps hovered near 100 degrees for a couple of months in Middle Tennessee last year. Factoring in humidty, the heat index was worse. No telling what the attic temps were. I can't imagine what they would be in Texas.

But I suppose you could live in a climate where the attic temperatures aren't dangerous.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #46  
Our outdoor temps hovered near 100 degrees for a couple of months in Middle Tennessee last year. Factoring in humidty, the heat index was worse. No telling what the attic temps were. I can't imagine what they would be in Texas.

But I suppose you could live in a climate where the attic temperatures aren't dangerous.

Very mild in Oakland CA...

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane
Here in VA, the attic is unbelievably hot in summer, and you just can't go up there for more than a couple minutes. God forbid if I had to replace the water heater in summer -- I guess I should be thankful I did it in February. But that tells me that it's a stupid place for the HVAC ducts to be in summer when you're running cool air through them.

It would be the opposite problem in winter, with the cold temperatures working against the heat flowing through the ducts. I measured attic temperatures during the winter last year, and they dropped to within a couple degrees of ambient temperature. I was trying to figure if we could install a humidifier on the furnace. But since the overnight temperature up there would routinely drop into the teens, and rarely single digits, that was a no-go. Based on that, I think even having water lines up there is marginal.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #48  
I had never heard of water-heaters being in attics.. Dosnt seem right.
If i were to build a custom home the Washer/dryer would be on a cement slab 1/2 inch below the floor level with a drain, Water heater something similar.
Mom and dad had a custom house built in 1979; the Contractor who took over from the architect was a wise man. As the house was being built on a hill, he suggest cutting into the bank a bit and creating a area under the house to put the hvac and both water-heaters. They set on a cement slab, but if anything leaks it runs to the ground. no way they can harm the house.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #49  
I built 2 custom homes and remodelled a few including a 2 vacation homes.

I've put in 5 main floor laundries, put a water heater in the attic of one vacation home (it had been on the main and only floor) and put a water heater on the main and only floor of the other vacation floor.

Sure, things can go wrong, pipes can burst, appliances can go toes up, and an airplane can fall out of the sky and hit your house.

But in each of my projects I considered the risks and advantages and took precautions I thought were needed.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #50  
I guess this one those to each his own. Sometimes that's what the plans call for & sometimes it's the best place for it. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's stupid. I've never had an insurance claim for water damage caused by HVAC or W H that I installed in an attic.