Hot water heater in attic = insane

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #21  
How many of these houses are built on slab with no basement or crawl space? If this design you either have to run the lines under the concrete, through the walls or in the attic. Any of these three are bad when something breaks.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #22  
A lot of you guys think putting HVAC in the attic is crazy so please help me out. I am planning on putting central AC into my ranch style house which has hot water heat (no air ducts). My contractor wants to put the air handler in the attic with ductwork going to each room with registers cut into the ceiling.
This seems like a simple way to do the install. What are the downsides?
Thanks

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #23  
What are the downsides?
Thanks

As described already: Serviceability and likelihood of extra damage from leaks.

My fan coil / furnace and tanked water heaters are in my attic. Although they were installed by a builder's sub-contractor, I demanded some design input and redlined their HVAC and Plumbing drawings to get equipment locations and pan installations that made me happy. All units have stand-up and working room around them, was well as adequate decking around them and back to the attic hatch. So while replacing any of them would have the extra work of moving them up/down the attic ladder, otherwise they would be no more difficult than any other reasonable installation.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #24  
How many of these houses are built on slab with no basement or crawl space? If this design you either have to run the lines under the concrete, through the walls or in the attic. Any of these three are bad when something breaks.

Yep, nearly everything built in this area in the last 50 years was built on a slab foundation. I bought a new house in 1972 and another in 1977 in which the air handler, and the water heater, were in a closet on an outside wall at the end of the hall. The closet had a raised floor so the return air went in through louvers below the closet door. And yes the freon lines went through the wall to the outside unit. The blower sent the air up into a plenum and out through insulated ducts to each room. Very short freon lines, instead of the longer ones to get up into the attic like I now have. Easy access to change the air filter or to do any other service (I had to replace a blower motor once in the the place I bought in 1972). I realize builders can get a few more square feet of living space by putting that stuff in the attic, and the HVAC and plumbing folks can make more money by charging more for servicing and/or replacing stuff in attic.

I also bought a new double wide mobile in 1997 that had the same arrangement (closet) for the air handler, a plenum, and ductwork in the ceiling.

I know some say that putting the stuff in the attic is more efficient for the homeowner because it's shorter lines or ducts for the air to get to the rooms, but honest people in the building trades will tell you it's to make more money. And that's the name of the game after all.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #25  
Not really. Supply air duct under the slab and return air in the attic. Plumbing under the slab poly pipe sleeved.

Where the problem is, contractors don't like having to build a house around HVAC and plumbing systems. That takes too much planning. They would much rather build the house and then HVAC people and plumbers install their equipment where ever they can find a place to put it.

My house is slab with pvc ducts under the slab, boots grouted and plumbing sleeved. Been that way for 28 years and that's the only way I'll have a slab on grade house. It makes for very efficient heating and cooling. If I ever built again the only change I would make is I would like the return air in a fir down rather than in the attic.

As far back as the late 1940's to way up into the 1960's or later galvanized duct pipe was put under the slab and completely grouted in the ditch. I suspect some of that is still in operation.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #26  
I installed central air/heat at my brother's 60 year old ranch style home on slab and the only option turned out to be the attic.

Had a custom made pan with two drains go under the entire unit... it is piped to the outside inside one of the walls to a drain... the overflow or backup is stubbed out over a window so leakage would be clearly visible.

Pull down steps with an attic light make service a snap...

I was skeptical and was pleased with the results...

Running the gas line, power and vent was very easy with the attic location.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #27  
Wish me luck, I have TWO water heaters to replace in an attic tomorrow. One on each end of the house.

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #28  
A lot of you guys think putting HVAC in the attic is crazy so please help me out. I am planning on putting central AC into my ranch style house which has hot water heat (no air ducts). My contractor wants to put the air handler in the attic with ductwork going to each room with registers cut into the ceiling.
This seems like a simple way to do the install. What are the downsides?
Thanks

I do trusses for a living what I seen a lot these days is if you have a garage Have the bottom of the truss run flat for about 1/3 then step up about two foot then flat again for about 1/3 back down and flat again. Naturlay this all depends on the pitch of your roof

Then the havc can be hung in this space and is easy to get to and out of the way

HVCA is not too bad in the attic if you plan ahead and leave the correct room in the truss webs and good access. Oh yea and a ac guy that does not want to drop it right at the access

Saw one the other day the gable end had a big built in vent the ac was right behend this vent and the vent was removable

100s of ways if you just think smart in the planing/ building stage and have a good ac guy that understands

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #29  
Thanks

/ Hot water heater in attic = insane #30  
Wish me luck, I have TWO water heaters to replace in an attic tomorrow. One on each end of the house.
I wish you all the luck in the world. And here is hoping the drain valves aren't full of calcium and will drain well or at least drain a little.:thumbsup: