The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #921  
What is the pitch on the deck roof. Looks flattish in the pictures. Your moving along. This weather has helped I'm sure. I cut a bunch of battens this morning and spent most of the day installing them.

I really lucked out at the junkyard last week. Got some 250 foot rolls of 12/2 romex still in the wrapper for sixteen bucks a roll. Oh happy day

Your big windows came out great. You cannot beat natural light. Congrats on the 100k views. Speaks for itself.

Last edited:
   / The Log house Project begins........
Mike, it's a 2/12 pitch, any steeper and it cuts into my view too much. All the rafters are up and I am picking up a bundle of seconds from the big mill today. I hope they have Poplar again since I am going to use it to deck both porch roof's...oak will be quite the workout if that's all they have as you well know.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #923  
If you do get oak I highly recommend the red Diablo blades they sell at Home Depot. They are very thin and cut it like butter. Other blades I had on hand struggled.

I don't need it anytime soon but I'm hoping to talk you in to getting me another pack of that lumber one day. What a deal it is.

I picked up the "cull" lumber from our local sawmill, 1,000BF of White Oak for $135:
NorthPorch001-1.jpg

NorthPorch003-1.jpg

NorthPorch002-1.jpg

I have bought 4 bundles over the years, and really most of what they call cull is good usable lumber for siding and roof decking....

North porch rafters:
NorthPorch004.jpg

I decided on this side to go with the High Tensile 14 gauge aluminized steel Horse wire. 4' tall with a line every 5". I will drill holes through the 6x6's for the wire:
NorthPorch005-1.jpg

NorthPorch006-1.jpg

I didn't like the bulky tensioners that are used for this wire, so I will have to make my own. This "railing will be on the North side only and as the porch ends and the deck begins on the West side I decided to go with the log/random branch type. Now I'm off to start decking the roof..........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #926  
I picked up the "cull" lumber from our local sawmill, 1,000BF of White Oak for $135

I wish I could find a deal like that on lumber. I'm hoping to start a small shed/shop soon.

I wish I could find a deal like that on lumber. I'm hoping to start a small shed/shop soon.

I know...it's way more than a cord of firewood, and it's cut 4/4....amazing deal:thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #928  
There is more pitch than I thought. The other picture was an illusion Looking good.

You gonna be around the jobsite Friday morning?

Well, I was working on decking the roof(got almost half way. Then that little voice said, "it might be a good idea to put a railing up so you don't step {off} the porch". I try and listen to that little voice...he is usually right.

Ok, so the tensioners at Tractor supply are little ratchets...for $4.95 ea. I need 18 of them, so I thought a deep socket would do the job and give me a way to ratchet the wire around them....off to the pawn shop this morning. I bought 20 deep sockets for $22, about half china stuff, the other Craftsman(still china, but better china). I then put them on my drill press and drilled two holes in them, one for the wire to go through, the other for a screw to hold it in place.
I made up a template to drill the holes every 5" shich I screwed to each post:
NorthPorchrailing001.jpg

Then a high tech level for my drill so I could keep the holes reasonably straight:
NorthPorchrailing004.jpg

NorthPorchrailing005.jpg

I was wrong, it's not 14 gauge, it's 12.5 and really stiff. The tag on the 1,000' reel say's it's 180,000 psi(whatever than means). Lot's of thwaaning and twannging as it came off the reel and a few tangles.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #930  
Rick I'm gonna say something you are not going to like. If it were me and based on what I have seen in my career as a wood chuck, I'd take that oak that you notched the planking for next to your porch down before it can cause any headaches should it fail either up top or down below that winds or an ice storm could influence. In my opinion it is too close to the house to take chances with.