snapping turtles

/ snapping turtles #21  
Snappers can leap vertically from the ground to around 36"-42" depending on how big he is and how warm it is.

I do not believe turtles can jump three and a half feet off the ground. Someone show me a video of this, please. :)

/ snapping turtles #22  
I do not believe turtles can jump three and a half feet off the ground. Someone show me a video of this, please. :)

Apparently, you've never seen the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

/ snapping turtles #23  

I frankly couldn't give give a rat's az$ what you believe, but do your own research!;)

/ snapping turtles #24  
Never ate turtle but its worth looking into.

Don't know about turtle soup, but turtle sauce piquant is some gooood stuff. I've got a turtle population problem too. Usually just thin them out with the 10/22. Don't eat those though, since they live in an oxidation pond.

/ snapping turtles #25  
When I was just a kid, I heard about turtle soup. I can't remember who told me you used soft shelled turtles for soup, but Dad & I occasionally caught both soft shelled and snapping turtles on our trotlines. So one day when I had caught a couple of soft shelled turtles, not much bigger than saucers. I dressed them out and took the meat home. Mother refused to have anything do with it, but allowed me to make turtle soup and it was quite good. So later I caught a much bigger soft shelled turtle. I still remember weighing it and think it was 8 pounds, so I dressed it out and made soup with it. The soup was good, but the meat was so tough the dog was the only one in the family that could eat it.:laughing: So I never made turtle soup again.

And I was in my mid-20s when I learned that people also eat the snapping turtles.
My Father and Grandfather use to have turtle and fish traps on the Holston River in East Tennessee when I was very young. They would eat the turtle eggs scrambled with pork brains. The eggs are very small in diameter and are about the size of small marbles. I wouldn't eat them because of the smell, or perhaps better described as a "stench". But they loved them.

/ snapping turtles #26  
Snapping Turtle When I was working and living in Florida, I saw an alligator snapping turtle only one time. But it left a lasting impression on me. They look like a relic or survivor from the age of dinosaurs.

/ snapping turtles #27  
My father in law and I caught the snapping turtles in our pond on three different occasions...made soup all three times ...the first two times the soup was great and meat was tender...the last time was the last time for a reason...the soup was awful and the meat was tough..same recipe...but must have been a mad turtle...we never made anymore soup..it was that bad...These were big turtles by the way...I mean big..I have on turtle shell in my shop and it is 14 inches across - that was from the last one that tasted so foul.

/ snapping turtles
WOW, thanks for all the stories and advice. I know I have seen at least 50 turtles (or turtle heads) in my small pond. I have not seen any large ones but my very large Peking duck was missing one leg and the other leg was broken at the hip and skinned when I pulled it out of the pond. Not sure if those injuries occured before or after death but I saw no other injuries on it's body so I believe it was the turtles as opposed to a land preditor. I did set a live trap testerday to see if I catch anything and I have several young men who will be happy to shoot the turtles. I am hoping that I just need to reduce the population and attempt to remove the largest ones to protect my ducks. I have heard that having some turtles keeps the pond clean. I am keeping the ducks away for now until I feel the population is reduced. Anyone whant to purchase turtle meat?? I will give you a good deal!!!!! LOL

/ snapping turtles #29  
I personally hate turtles shoot everyone I see in my pond they will try to eat anything they can get there bony beak on including toes if you swim in your pond , kill em all is my moto

/ snapping turtles #30  
I frankly couldn't give give a rat's az$ what you believe, but do your own research!;)

You really shouldn't get mad, smart alecky, etc. just because you have no evidence for something silly that you posted, and got caught being silly.