Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor?

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #21  
Only OP can actually determine how much work he can accomplish and how many hours he will put on another tractor, and make a judgement about his proposed purchase from that. I purchased my Deere 4210 with FEL, RB, and MMM having a good idea of how much I would use them, tried to justify buying a $6000 backhoe as part of the package and although I WANTED one and could AFFORD one, I figured it would just sit idle 99.5% of the time and take up space. I now WANT and can AFFORD a snowblower, but how many hours would I actually use such an item? Might be just that I am getting older, but I try to base my spending on needs vs. wants.

Suppose you NEED a vehicle to commute to work, you can buy a 20 grand econobox or a 60 grand one ton 4X4 truck. If you don't actually need that 60 grand truck to commute 10 miles one way to work, you just WANT it. It's as simple as that...define your needs vs. your wants.

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor?
Suppose you NEED a vehicle to commute to work, you can buy a 20 grand econobox or a 60 grand one ton 4X4 truck. If you don't actually need that 60 grand truck to commute 10 miles one way to work, you just WANT it. It's as simple as that...define your needs vs. your wants.

JD Green. That reminds me of my current situation, I drive a 2002 Ford Escape with 240,000 miles on it because I don't care about what I drive. I don't 'enjoy' driving a vehicle (aside from my motorcycles) and the old Escape is all I NEED to get around. I don't NEED a new or more powerful tractor, but I certainly WANT one :laughing:

You guys all have good points and some good advice for me, especially....
family and home first
toys and tools second

Don't sell your L4610 short.
Singlemalt,
I'll be putting the ole girl to the test in a couple weeks, I'll give her another chance to prove herself. Actually, aside from FEL lift capacity, it's never let me down. I've only maxed out the lift capacity because I've tried doing things that this tractor isn't meant for. Then again, I maxed out the lift capacity of my 410 on a good sized oak log as well, so like someone mentioned, I'll never have something that 'does it all'

how long do you plan to live on the property...
...Hopefully for the rest of our lives.

what do you plan to do once you are settled...
Good question... Haven't actually thought too far into that. Once we are moved in up there, I plan to slowly thin the forest and make some small fields, mow the fields, make small trails, snowblow my driveway, move/handle logs for my portable sawmill, gather firewood, and overall just "manage" the forest.
Everything I do with the tractor is purely hobby, sure it's a tool and I do use it that way, but my I certainly don't make a living with it.

can you actually work the cost of a new and bigger tractor into your finances...
Yes... but...
without screwing up your budget?
No :laughing: I don't want have a loan because I want my credit to stay as perfect as possible since I'll be applying for a construction loan and then a standard mortgage.

Piston - I have a score to settle with you. One thing lead to another and your grapple picture thread caused me to buy a brand new tractor. So, if I can get you to buy a cab tractor we'll be even.
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Rackluster,
I was laughing the whole time reading your response :laughing::laughing:
I'm just glad you bought the grapple before reading my thread :thumbsup: :D

Piston, Kubotas have great resale and you have made other improvements on the tractor. How much would it really cost you once you sold your current tractor? You don't have to go back with another Kubota.
Brian,
That's actually what got me thinking about this. I looked up some larger framed tractors on tractorhouse and they weren't nearly as much as I thought. I don't know what I could get for my tractor but I saw some Kubota M6800's on there for right around 20k. I know I can't get that for mine, but I would think I'd be less than 5k away from there.
I am not at all brand loyal to Kubota, I just happen to know them best because that is what I have. If I could get into a bigger tractor for similar money, then I would think more about it. The problem is, what I really WANT, and know I will eventually have (even if it's after the kids are through college :laughing:) is a cab tractor. So I'm starting to think it's better to just wait and buy the one I want, rather than buy another one as a stepping stone. But I won't buy the big cab tractor I want now, not for a long time unfortunately.

I'm going to pay close attention over this coming year to see how many times my current tractor can't do what I ask of it. I'll revisit the idea of trading up as the months go by. As mentioned, I'll be putting it to the test in a couple weeks. I just found out I won't be able to truck the 410 up to my land this time so the 'Bota is all I'll have.
When I really think about it, my reason for upgrading is because I think of the implements I want to use, and a lot of the times my tractor is not rated for what I want to do with it. It's not that it doesn't do what it's designed for, it's that I try using it for more than a compact tractor is supposed to do.

You guys have all given me good advice and I like to see the different sides. It's nice to read other peoples opinion and it makes me think outside the box a little bit. :thumbsup:

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #23  
RTII said:
Yeah, hence my qualifier:

For the record, I concur with your perspective. Most people would not advise going into to debt for a tractor, but there have been many things I have been able to enjoy and accomplish by financing/purchasing my tractor. It boiled down to realizing that I could wait and pay cash or buy now and enjoy and make the note. No regrets on my part.

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #24  
For the record, I concur with your perspective. Most people would not advise going into to debt for a tractor, but there have been many things I have been able to enjoy and accomplish by financing/purchasing my tractor. It boiled down to realizing that I could wait and pay cash or buy now and enjoy and make the note. No regrets on my part.

I'm with you now. A very good reason. Life's too short to pass up an oportunity to enjoy it.

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #25  
I am just going to tell you guys somnething from my perspective:

I moved to my 11 acres back in late '88, I needed something that would mow 4 acres and clear snow from a huge driveway, so I purchased a Deere 318 with a MMM and front blade. Since I was working at the time, I COULD have afforded a larger tractor but didn't think I would use one that much more than the 318. Well, in mid 2002 we began building on an addition as well as doing serious landscaping, and I retired at the end of that year. Sold a rental property and went out a purchased my 4210 with a cash deal. And after owning the bigger tractor for a month or two, I wanted to KICK myself for not buying it sooner, when I realized how many tasks I could have used it for that I didn't imagine doing until I had it. I would have been way ahead buying a CUT originally even if it cost me 2X the monthly payment the smaller machine did.

Piston, since you have clarified your expected uses more clearly as well as saying you hope to remain on the new property the rest of your life, perhaps you should consider buying another tractor after all. Since you are thrifty enough to drive an older vehicle with nearly a quarter million miles on it, that in itself shows financial savvy. Now, if you were driving a nearly new one-ton 4X4 truck....:laughing:

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #26  
If I was you, I wouldn't put my signature on the line for a new tractor at this time. You are looking at a loan (for the property) and a mortgage (for the house)and a money pit (kid) on the way. I think that IF you buy the tractor right now you will overextend yourself and wont be able to get the mortgage. What about your job? Is it guaranteed? If you were in an accident and had no money coming in, what then? Bye, bye new tractor, bye, bye older tractors and eventually bye, bye house.:(

Just something to think about.

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #27  
I recently upgraded from an older 15 horse SCUT to a 28 horse CUT. I've got to tell you that I was madly in love with the Kioti--good dealer nearby, good local history with the tractor...; but would have needed to finance about half the cost. I bought what I had the cash to buy and don't regret spending that money. If I'd borrowed, I'd feel guilty every time it wasn't running.
Get into your new house, get nicely established and work within the abilities of your current tractor. If you really NEED a bigger machine, you can likely rent one for a couple days, pay that with cash and still use your machine for the day to day chores.

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #28  
I can totally understand wanting a bigger cab tractor. It will likely allow you to do more, faster (although a smaller cabless tractor is more nimble in the woods). I have a 7040 and love it, but...

I definitely would wait to buy the one you want after your child is born (congrats by the way) and your house is complete. I have three kids 6, 3, and 1. On top of it, I also bought my property 2 years ago (a rundown 93 acre farm) and am just finishing the construction of my home (I just remortgaged to a standard loan). My six month construction "guarantee" from our builder is now at 13 months. I am happy to say that our home is almost done and we are very happy in it - but it has been a long, draining (financially and emotionally) process.

I can guarantee that you will spend 10-15% or more over what you budget on your home (I did) and remortgaging can be tough (we had to fight to find comps for our house since we live in the middle of nowhere). Keep your money in the bank for now - wait till things calm down - and then become the proud owner of your dream tractor. You'll never regret saving, but you might regret spending.

Also, if your house plans arent done yet - think seriously about adding a steam shower. My wife and I have never been happier and it will relax you after a day of screaming kids. Although, child #2 might come sooner than you want:D

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor?
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess deep down I do know that it wouldn't be a smart move to buy a new tractor right now, but I wanted to post this to hear some feedback.
I sometimes find myself reading through TBN and finding things that I didn't know existed, I was perfectly happy before, but then I find some new tool that I didn't know was even around, and all of a sudden I NEED something else! :laughing:

I am going to hold off on buying the tractor for a while. I do have the backhoe that can take over where the 'Bota leaves off.

Congrats on getting your house built (and thanks for the congrats as well:thumbsup:) I'm really really hoping to start construction with ours in one year from now, hopefully that will work out, we're in the planning stages now.

I will certainly put the "steam shower" on the list of things to consider :thumbsup:

/ Can someone explain to me why I do NOT need another tractor? #30  
I sometimes find myself reading through TBN and finding things that I didn't know existed, I was perfectly happy before, but then I find some new tool that I didn't know was even around, and all of a sudden I NEED something else! :laughing:

Very true, I sometimes spend time reading on here and thinking to myself, I need (insert whatever) or a bigger tractor, etc. Then I go out and use my tractor and think, "oh yeah, this is why I bought the one I did, it works perfectly fine for my needs."

This is a dangerous place for your wallet I tell ya :laughing: