New Cat 299D XHP

/ New Cat 299D XHP #12  
Well just got my bubble popped salesman just informed me they won't be able to get there hands on a 299d xhp til the end of may first of june. He thought there was one at the birmingham store but sold by the time it came off the lowboy.

/ New Cat 299D XHP #13  
If Cat fixed those few things from the C series that annoyed me when I was mulching, then they will have a heck of a machine. I miss my 272c for a lot of things but I don't miss the air filter/dust in cab issues and the debris in the engine compartment. Aside from that the c series was a fine machine. Put in the bigger motor and up the flow and it's making me want to go back to Cat.

/ New Cat 299D XHP
Cat, That's when I first heard mine would be available, was suprised when the call came in early.

/ New Cat 299D XHP #15  
If Cat fixed those few things from the C series that annoyed me when I was mulching, then they will have a heck of a machine. I miss my 272c for a lot of things but I don't miss the air filter/dust in cab issues and the debris in the engine compartment. Aside from that the c series was a fine machine. Put in the bigger motor and up the flow and it's making me want to go back to Cat.

Waiting on my CAT sales rep to give me a quote. I think they may have finally listened to there customers. We will see! Good looking restructuring the best I can tell from spec sheets and photos anyhow. Seat time will tell the truth.

/ New Cat 299D XHP #16  
For the last few months we've had the privilage to run one of the 299D XHP prototypes for Cat. We have been running a HM 312 mulcher mostly on this machine but we also did run a 7' bush hog type mower and did some dirt work.The extra horsepower and the additional hydraulics are noticeable. Cat is saying 106 HP and 40 gal flow. We did check flow and it was 40 gal as they say.

After a short time I knew we wanted to upgrade to one of these machines when they hit production, so I put my name on the list early and as of last Friday our new 299D XHP is in our possession. The new mulcher for this unit will be a HM 415, it's ordered but not in yet.

Here's a few things, Cat rearranged the some of the components in the engine compartment, the air conditioner condenser is mounted on the back door plenty of air flow now. When the proto was delivered it was early August last year,at that time temperature was 95deg+ with humidity about the same. I had the air on the coldest setting with the fan on high and had the bottom 12" of glass fogged up. I actually had to turn the temp setting up after awhile. The fuel filter, oil filter, hydraulic filter and battery are at the back where it's easy to get to. The hydraulic oil level is easy to check and fill, it's mounted in the same area as before but below the arms for access. The fuel tank is larger 31 gallon now (I think). When we were mulching we were using around 3.5 gal of fuel per hour. The engine never ran hot, we did blow out the radiator every day.

I had the debris kit installed on our unit, you can see in the pics some of the guarding and the precleaner location, big improvement from before. The proto we started with did'nt have the precleaner but was installed later, we went from cleaning the air filter every hour in very dusty conditions to once a week.

I'm sure there are alot of things I'm forgetting so questions are welcome. I would rather not talk about the price, I feel you should talk with your local dealer or pm me and I'll give you my dealers info. My replies may be slow, I do use one finger from each hand so I am faster than some.
Thanks, Russ
Hey,
Just wandering, If it's not to much trouble to ask,could you upload a pic of the engine compartment? The CAT Territory Rep is supposed to be getting me a quote and hopefully a factory tour in Sanford N C(About an hour away from my home) but haven't heard back from him yet. Thanks.

/ New Cat 299D XHP #17  
Timberwolf, there is a video on you tube of the new 299d at a trade show over seas gives a good look inside the engine bay.

/ New Cat 299D XHP
Timberwolf, first three engine compartment, fourth hydraulic tank fill area. Another thing I forgot to mention is the decelerator. When the engine speed control knob is turned all the way up your foot pedal becomes a decelerator. I forget it's there sometimes. I've been using it when I cross ditches, hook up attachments, pulling into the shed, and there's no more cable for the foot pedal it's electronic now.

Attachments

• DSCN1226.jpg
    DSCN1226.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • DSCN1227.jpg
    DSCN1227.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 942
  • DSCN1228.jpg
    DSCN1228.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 925
  • DSCN1229.jpg
    DSCN1229.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 792
   / New Cat 299D XHP
Fourth one not hydraulic tank fill area let me try again:thumbsup:

/ New Cat 299D XHP
I won't quit until I get or something's broke.

Attachments

• DSCN1230.jpg
    DSCN1230.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 1,441