Diesel truck with best MPG

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #31  
Here's mine: Late 2004 Ram/Cummins 3500 single rear wheel crew cab with A/T and 3.75 rear gears. Bought used with 100k on it. Totally stock except for a Smarty Jr. on the 70 hp tow setting. And I've used the Smarty to adjust the speedo to match my GPS exactly. I hand figure every tank of fuel and it currently will get 22.5 mpg with the cruise set at 75 mph. Around town driving drops to 14.5 mpg. Pulling a 16' trailer with a Massey 135 and cutter doesn't seem to affect the mileage by more than 1 mpg since I drop my speed to 65-70 mph. And never believe the overhead display on a Dodge when it comes to mileage. They lie worse than a 2 year old child.

One other item... I changed to Rotella T synthetic 5w40 a couple of years back just because I would rather have a synthetic in it. I didn't expect it but my mileage immediately improved by approximately 10%. I actually thought it was just an anomaly but it has stayed up.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #32  
Why is MPG such a big deal. Your obviously not aware of diesel repair, maint. costs. The first time you change oil and they hand you the bill for the materials your in for a big surprise. The average person doesn't even come close to spending the added costs of owning a diesel truck. I know for some it is a big ego trip. Buy a used one and save money.............. and when you get done with the updates and repairs you will wish you never saw it.
Bottom line, if you are worried about a couple miles per gallon, don't even go there.
Empty MPG really isnt a factor for me, but loaded mileage is... Oil change intervals really arent a factor... I do mine cheaper than most quickie lubes charge for a 5.7L HEMI...
I used to have a 4:10 geared gas truck before the current diesel... not only did I have poor fuel mileage, I had poor pulling performance for the weights I pull. My diesel pulls 10x harder while gettting better fuel mileage...
Does side is repair costs... yes, they can be more expensive... but, I consider that as part of the liability I assumed by needing to pull heavier loads than the gassers can comfortably do.
Just my .02 and I expect change back!

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #33  
I wonder what happens when you guys get to pay the same fuel prices than us, somewhere in the future... ;)

i know i've seen you comment on the difference in fuel prices between our countries before, and i would like to pose one question: why are your fuel prices higher than ours? i know that in some countries everything can cost more, but i'd be willing to bet that a lot of the difference in cost is based on taxes levied on the fuel. those taxes may or may not go toward something useful, but you have to figure that in. i don't know if your country has some sort of nationalized medical care, but i know that some countries do, and their fuels are generally higher priced. i'd gladly pay double what we pay for fuel if i didn't have to pay for health insurance. as i said i don't know if you get any benefit like that, but i'd be willing to bet there might be something that is subsidized by the increased fuel cost.

to put it in perspective, i could drive about 750 miles per week in my 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 truck for what my health insurance costs for that same week when compared to a good policy through an employer. the health insurance premiums also are climbing way faster than the price of fuel.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #34  
I have a 2004 Dodge, 3/4 ton, quad cab, auto, 4.10 gears. I get about 15 mpg around town, and around 17 to 18 mpg on the highway. This is running empty. One problem I have is that I have yet to run a tank of fuel threw it with nothing but highway miles. I don't know how people are getting that kind of mileage, but I'm not. Mine are all hand figured, my trip computer shows 22 mpg.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #35  
The best stock trucks mpg-wise are going to be the older Cummins powered Dodges with the 5.9, hands down. The 12 valves and the early 24s, followed closely by the 3rd gens up to 2007.

The 6.7 Cummins, when properly set up, is on par with the newest 5.9s. I have a 2007 6.7 and get 20 mpgs on the highway at 60 and 18.5 at 70. I tow a 10k gooseneck horsetrailer at 60 and get 14 mpg highway. City driving I get 14-15. This is all hand calculated.

It did cost me about 2k in mods but I am sure happy with it. Eventually the mods should pay for themselves because I am keeping it for a very long time. The power is incredible.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #36  
I have a 2004 Dodge, 3/4 ton, quad cab, auto, 4.10 gears. I get about 15 mpg around town, and around 17 to 18 mpg on the highway. This is running empty. One problem I have is that I have yet to run a tank of fuel threw it with nothing but highway miles. I don't know how people are getting that kind of mileage, but I'm not. Mine are all hand figured, my trip computer shows 22 mpg.

My early '04 is about 1-2 mpg better than yours, also with 4.10s, but a 6 spd manual. Yours is an early '04 right? The '04.5-'07 trucks lost a bit of mileage due to the cam shape (commonly referred to as the 'in-cylinder egr'), and also the triple shot injectors, compared to two shot in the early common rails.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #37  
question: why are your fuel prices higher than ours? i know that in some countries everything can cost more, but i'd be willing to bet that a lot of the difference in cost is based on taxes levied on the fuel.

Thats close and may be partially responsible, I am an operator in an oil refinery that makes diesel fuel and much more and here is my take on it. Normal USA ULSD is less than 10ppm sulfur and 40 cetane, European diesel is less than 2ppm sulfur and 50 cetane, the costs of refining to remove sulfur is extremely expensive and the cost of raising octane numbers is not as expensive. Prior to EPA regulating the sulfur content of diesel fuels, 500ppm diesel is super cheap to make. There are a few more differences in European diesel fuel such as cloud point, pour point, flash point, and IBP (initial boiling point), but none that are directly related to cost.

Now back on subject..I have a 2002 F250 PSD, with lots of modifications to exhaust, turbo, injectors, high pressure oil pump, and computer module. I get 21 MPG on the highway unloaded and driving the speed limit. I tow a good bit with it and under 10000 pounds it hangs around 17, when it is loaded beyond the max. that drops to about 12 to 14.

Last edited:
   / Diesel truck with best MPG #38  
Mud Mechanik said:
Thats close and may be partially responsible, I am an operator in an oil refinery that makes diesel fuel and much more and here is my take on it. Normal USA ULSD is less than 10ppm sulfur and 40 cetane, European diesel is less than 2ppm sulfur and 50 cetane, the costs of refining to remove sulfur is extremely expensive and the cost of raising octane numbers is not as expensive. Prior to EPA regulating the sulfur content of diesel fuels, 500ppm diesel is super cheap to make. There are a few more differences in European diesel fuel such as cloud point, pour point, flash point, and IBP (initial boiling point), but none that are directly related to cost.

Gosh, feel free to tell us more! Inquiring minds want to know. I read in the trade magazines that regular unleaded is sold at cost and the profit is made on the rest of the distillates. And what about the types of fuel oil, i.e., some posters here say ULSD is all that there is anymore but others claim they can get LSD for off-road use. Where is the lubricity added? At the refinery or further down the supply chain?

Finding out about fuel or gasoline is harder than it should be. It's not like it used to be when some retailers were claiming their gas would give you better mileage or 'clean' your engine.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #39  
I used Alot of LSD in the 70's. Good times. The ones I can remember.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #40  
Why so much negitivity... Just enjoy the vehicle you like and well MPG isn't the main thing, just enjoying it all.... Drop the negitivity Moiarity.......

You should take a spelling course before you try those big words. Try negativity.... unless your French and it means something different.
When god makes you Queen you may pass judgement on others posts. My opinion is strictly mine and free advice is usually what it is worth.