Diesel truck with best MPG

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #21  
Have no truck (European ;) ), just a trailer behind the Volvo. Does 40mpg without, and 25mpg with trailer on a round trip, one way empty trailer, and back with a 4400 pound tractor on it at 60mph...

With Euro fuel prices, driving a 2.5 ton truck for some peace of mind for the few times a year i pull something heavy, just isnt worth it... :)

I wonder what happens when you guys get to pay the same fuel prices than us, somewhere in the future... ;)

Oh, and definately true: With all the emissions crap, we'll never get the fuel economy back as we had in the late 90's in heavy vehicles like trucks and tractors... only the light engines are improving, because they get 6 speeds and more torque to cruise at lower rpm... At work the parts warehouse has a VW Caddy delivery van, it runs at 3000rpm at 120kmh because its the basic 90hp diesel with short gears, though it has never pulled a trailer in its life. Getting the 140hp with torque to drive tall gears would boost the fuel economy a 15 to 20%

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #22  
:D I have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 2500, 5.9 Liter Cummings, automatic, all factory but MBRP exhaust, no tuner, no chip, no computer nuttin, other than whats under the hood. LEER Fiberglass topper. MPG to and from work; 22.5 consistantly, Long drives on freeway: 25.2; Hauling 30' Travel trailer with double slides: 14.5 to 15.5 consistantly. Enjoy the helluva out my Dodge, had Ford 2004 Crew Cab Super Duty with 8' box and Fiberglass topper 100% stock and ran low 20's in that truck and mid teens with travel trailer attached. All trucks are driven at 70 mph and always run AMSOIL syntheic oils. Just the word from my bit of the world... Take care :cool:

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #23  
Why is MPG such a big deal. Your obviously not aware of diesel repair, maint. costs. The first time you change oil and they hand you the bill for the materials your in for a big surprise. The average person doesn't even come close to spending the added costs of owning a diesel truck. I know for some it is a big ego trip. Buy a used one and save money.............. and when you get done with the updates and repairs you will wish you never saw it.
Bottom line, if you are worried about a couple miles per gallon, don't even go there.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #24  
Why so much negitivity... Just enjoy the vehicle you like and well MPG isn't the main thing, just enjoying it all.... Drop the negitivity Moiarity.......

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #25  
Renze said:
Have no truck (European ;) ), just a trailer behind the Volvo. Does 40mpg without, and 25mpg with trailer on a round trip, one way empty trailer, and back with a 4400 pound tractor on it at 60mph...

With Euro fuel prices, driving a 2.5 ton truck for some peace of mind for the few times a year i pull something heavy, just isnt worth it... :)

I wonder what happens when you guys get to pay the same fuel prices than us, somewhere in the future... ;)

Oh, and definately true: With all the emissions crap, we'll never get the fuel economy back as we had in the late 90's in heavy vehicles like trucks and tractors... only the light engines are improving, because they get 6 speeds and more torque to cruise at lower rpm... At work the parts warehouse has a VW Caddy delivery van, it runs at 3000rpm at 120kmh because its the basic 90hp diesel with short gears, though it has never pulled a trailer in its life. Getting the 140hp with torque to drive tall gears would boost the fuel economy a 15 to 20%

I envy all the Diesel options you have on the other side of the pond.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #26  
Why is MPG such a big deal. Your obviously not aware of diesel repair, maint. costs. The first time you change oil and they hand you the bill for the materials your in for a big surprise. The average person doesn't even come close to spending the added costs of owning a diesel truck. I know for some it is a big ego trip. Buy a used one and save money.............. and when you get done with the updates and repairs you will wish you never saw it.
Bottom line, if you are worried about a couple miles per gallon, don't even go there.

Someone can buy a diesel truck that gets 8 MPG or they could buy one that gets over 20 MPG. Of course I care about that kind of difference. Absolutely. Who wouldn't?

It's not about buying a honda civic vs. a Dodge Cummins. It's about which diesel will serve you the best, and mileage is one of the considerations. Reliability is another. My truck has 250,000 miles on it and has had zero engine problems. Safety is another. I'd much rather be in a 3/4 ton truck in a wreck, than a small car. I drive a Passat TDI too, but people cut me off a lot more in that car than they do my truck.

So I'd say it's not just an ego trip with hidden costs. Not at all.

Last edited:
   / Diesel truck with best MPG #27  
I would love to take a new diesel truck from any manufacturer making 800lb-ft and de-tune it to the 5-600 needed. I bet it would get 25+ mpg's WITH the emissions stuff.

What ever happened to this little gem coming to the states? It has a four cylinder 2.5-liter common rail diesel engine that's rated at 105 horsepower and 182 pounds-feet of torque and coupled to a five-speed manual transmission, up to 30 mpg, 1.3-tons of payload and 5,000 pounds of towing ability

mahindra-truck.jpg

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #28  
Amen to that.. Ok, I am off this soap box.... I love my diesels, love my trucks...

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #29  
Currently drive 09' GMC gets 17 on HWY. 06' pre DPF got 19. 06' ford 6.0 got 15. Heard rumors of 20+ think it is downhill with a tailwind. My foot is heavy and I generally have 75 gal diesel in the back and enough tools to get the job done.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #30  

In america if you drive a volvo pulling a 6000 pound load you are asking to be sued for everything you have if you get in an accident!! How do your spindles not get sawed off pulling that kind of load, it must be 3-4000lbs overweight??