914A Mowers

/ 914A Mowers #1  

krmunson

For those that have the 914A mowers, do you have a rear or side discharge? I've been looking at the side models, but I plan to mulch so I was wondering if the rear would be better? I have no plans, now or future, to bag as long as the mulching deck does a good job. So I am unsure if I really need the side discharge? I'm looking at the 72" models for a TC29DA.

Let me know what you all think!!

/ 914A Mowers #2  
I do not believe NH makes a mulching deck, just side or rear discharge models. However, some TBNers have installed mulching blades on their decks.

My personal preference is for rear discharge decks because;
1. I think they are safer than side discharge
2. It doesn't matter which direction (clockwise or CCW) you travel, you won't be blowing clippings into planting beds
3. You can trim close with either side of the deck.

/ 914A Mowers
Ok, I assumed that the 72" rear discharge was a mulching because the NH spec calls out "high lift" blades sorry for the confusion.

But either way, do you end up with more clumping on a side discharge vs. rear? Clumping is what I am trying to avoid. I know that if I try and mow too tall of grass it will happen, but what about normal weekly mowing?

/ 914A Mowers #4  
From reading here on TBN the clumping is more evident on the rear discharge. My side discharge did some until I raised the chute a bit and now along with my gator blades I have no problem.

murph

/ 914A Mowers #5  
My experience is different. The rear discharge decks do a better job of dispersing the clippings than the side discharge. My guess as to why... with the rear discharge, the opening where the clippings come out is bigger.

/ 914A Mowers #6  
Mike,

You could be right. I know that when I bought mine my dealer wouldn't sell me the rear discharge under any circustances as he had to many complaints. But I still wished I would not have listened to him and got the rear discharge as I believe if you keep up with your grass you would not have any problems with either. But I also thought some had complained here on TBN about their rear discharge. I put some real thick washers under my side chute and now my grass blows out a good ten feet or so.

murph

/ 914A Mowers #7  
I have the 914A 60" rear discharge mower on my TC18. When I asked for it, the salesman said "Oh, you want the mulching deck." So maybe they do "consider it a mulcher".
Here in my area you mow when the rain allows during the spring, early summer. If the grass gets too tall, I have a problem with the clippings loading up under the deck. I have to stop and push in the clutch and let the "boogers" get thrown out. Of course that leaves a large area of clippings piled up which you'll have to mow over at a later date. Keep in mind, the grass is tall and sometimes damp, so that has a lot to do with it. And I do not scrape the underside clean very often during the season. That may help too.
I do prefer a rear discharge because I can cut close on either side and not worry about the chute.
Others here have complained of the same thing I have. Some have changed to different blades, including the Gators, and have had success.

/ 914A Mowers #8  
I have a 72 inch on a 33 and if you let the grass get high or wet you might want to consider a smaller one on a 29. My 33 can have a hard time keeping up with it when it is wet and long "5 inchs"

/ 914A Mowers #9  
i have the 914a with rear discharge. if you cut the grass more than once a week it doesnt clump. otherwise what you need to do is cut it twice. the big problem with the 914a is that it breaks belts. you should expect to buy a new belt every 10 hours or so.

/ 914A Mowers #10  
I bought a used 84" 914A rear discharge (about 10 years old) last year with my tractor (TC40D). That model has four blades whereas all the other 914A have three. The blades appear to match what the manual shows so I believe they were probably original. I sharpened the blades at the beginning of the season and I've found that the mower cuts best if I have it set at the lowest setting (2 inches). As far as clumping, there is minimal and my grass has gotten a little taller than I would actually prefer a few times.

I have yet to have any issues on breaking belts and my belt has plenty of hours on it. If you're having belt issues, I would check to make sure you have proper tension and that all the pulleys are alligned properly.

Regarding the clumping, my neighbor has a one year old Kubota BX2660 with a 60" side discharge that clumps much more than my rear discharge.