AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch #242  
Ken, I just picked up my plans from the county again. More corrections! I'm thinking that they just don't want me to build it and are hoping I will give up. I need to get my logs graded, and more detail for the roof. And a Blaze King wood stove is not acceptable for heat. I need to get a thermostat controlled propane furnace. I'm thinking about contacting an attorney that specializes in permits.
Other than that it has been raining, raining, and raining. The roads are all washed out and it is constantly a challenge to get in and out. I was trying to rotate my logs this weekend but I gave up after I slipped and fell in the mud. :)
Other than that, not much happening.

Mr Fuller maybe time to re-read Ecclesiastes 3:22 It works when I get bogged down in delays.

When I was working in that area the muddy truck was normal .Used Co. fire hose to wash.
Why is the building permit committe concerned what type of heating is to be used?
The delay allows the logs to be drying inside so less warpage after being stacked.I'm assuming there stacked off the ground.
Did you get the solar cell bank installed. reliable gen. back up working.
ken

/ AZ ranch
mjncad said:
I hope your friend reciprocates and helps you with your house build.

He probably will, but that's never been my criteria. If someone needs help, I help. If they choose to reciprocate, that's a bonus.

/ AZ ranch
Ken said:
Mr Fuller maybe time to re-read Ecclesiastes 3:22 It works when I get bogged down in delays.

When I was working in that area the muddy truck was normal .Used Co. fire hose to wash.
Why is the building permit committe concerned what type of heating is to be used?
The delay allows the logs to be drying inside so less warpage after being stacked.I'm assuming there stacked off the ground.
Did you get the solar cell bank installed. reliable gen. back up working.
ken

That's a good verse, Ken. Thanks.

Who knows why the Bldg Dept wants to know the type of heat? Same reason they want to know the amount of insulation around my windows, or the amount of grading I do around the site, or how big the opening is for my crawl space. I don't think any of it is any of their business, but what can you do?

Actually my logs were only 12-14% moisture when delivered (dead standing trees), but I am sure it is much higher now, after being out in these monsoons for several months. And yes, I have them up off the ground, laying on sacrificial logs.

Solar setup is working great! I haven't had to run the generator for 92 days now, except one day I wanted to run the A/C.

Time to go out and rotate a few more logs.

/ AZ ranch #245  
A Blaze King wood stove is not acceptable.....WHAT?????? That is one of the finest, most efficient wood burners on the market. Are all wood burners forbidden??? Bo, don't let them get away with that, having a propane back-up is fine, but I think you want to have wood heat as the primary. Please fight them on this, they have gone too far.

/ AZ ranch #246  
I find it incredible that the inspection department is getting into what make woodstove you can have. You need a revolt in that county, they are out if control. I' m surprised they don't tell you what kind of dog you can have.

Last edited:
   / AZ ranch #247  
I have heard of areas where they are banning wood heating due to the smog created by them. I have driven thru areas of northern California, Oregon and Washington state where every house had smoke from a wood stove or fire place rising from it and they had more smoke pollution than L.A. ever had due to wood burning heaters. Perhaps that is what is driving the permit process.
I certainly am not a proponent of big government but days are numbered for smoke producers in highly populated areas unless the manufacturers get a handle on smoke pollution by installing a particulate scrubber like the coal burner powerhouses have to have. Unfortunately those arent cheap and would likely put the wood burner out of business due to cost alone.

/ AZ ranch #248  
In my opinion you need a face to face meeting with the county commissioners and let them know exactly how much you have been jerked around. It borders on ridiculous. One of the big problems in this country is people just bend over and take it. They do not even bother to protest. If you don't and we don't then whatever they do to us is our fault.

I do not know exactly where your property lies but from the pictures it appears it is far from a highly developed area. I would schedule the meeting and tell them legal action was your next step. Sh-t like this just drives me crazy. It is all about more and more government control. (Call it communism if you like.)

Last edited:
   / AZ ranch #249  
Bo,
I would drop Blaze King a note asking them why their stove isn't approved for your county. I would include a copy of the notice you recieved denying the stove and perhaps the manufacturer would have something to say to the building department about it that would help you get it approved. I am sure they don't make those stoves just for looks!

/ AZ ranch #250  
I have heard of areas where they are banning wood heating due to the smog created by them. I have driven thru areas of northern California, Oregon and Washington state where every house had smoke from a wood stove or fire place rising from it and they had more smoke pollution than L.A. ever had due to wood burning heaters. Perhaps that is what is driving the permit process.
I certainly am not a proponent of big government but days are numbered for smoke producers in highly populated areas unless the manufacturers get a handle on smoke pollution by installing a particulate scrubber like the coal burner powerhouses have to have. Unfortunately those arent cheap and would likely put the wood burner out of business due to cost alone.

Gary, I get the heavily populated area problem, but Bo is very rural......that can not possibly be the issue.