Kobalt or Craftsman

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #11  
Our local Sears closed, but the one in Lexington which is about 25 miles from our farm simply gives you a new ratchet, no questions asked. I have some Kobalt tools as well and find them comparable to craftsman.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman
Are these on sale in certain stores only? I checked on Lowes site and the 227 piece set is $199.98 for my nearest store.

That $99.00 is what it is at my store. They had a Dewalt cordless drill 100 bucks off a week before Black Friday. I guess it depends on the stock they have.

I'm quessing the Kobalt didn't sell very well and they want to move them.

Better make a phone call to your store and ask.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #13  
Obviously some folks are very satisfied lowes and (kobalt) tools but...
The only kobalt tool I have is a pair of slip joint pliers I needed in a hurry... from day one they are crappiest brand name tool I own...nothing like the 'Channel-Lock' brand...
Every time I pick them up I renew my vow to never buy another kobalt tool.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in lowes for something (more convenient) and end up going on out to HD or paying a premium and going to ACE or another general hardware store...
I got so disgusted with lowes that I sold all my stock in the co.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #14  
Didn't Lowes at one time take any brand (broken) tool and replace it with a Kobalt at no charge?

Last edited:
   / Kobalt or Craftsman #15  
Most of my tools are Craftsman, but I do have a few Kobalt. Some of our local ACE stores now sell the Craftsman brand. I just purchased another adjustable Craftsman wrench (even made in the U.S.A.) this past weekend with a 50% off coupon. You said the Kobalt was cheaper in price. I would go with them.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #16  
I don't know for sure but I believe Home depot and Lowes buy their branded products from the same suppliers. Their tool kits are very similar and packaged almost identical. Same with their lights and other house brands. They all look the same with similar packaging just different names. I've been happy with husky brand and have no doubt kobalt will be just as good.

Their pliers do leave a lot to be desired though.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #17  
Some tools can never be copied & be as good as the original. Channellocks, Vise Grips & Crescent wrenches are 3 that come to mind.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #18  
Timm250 said:
Some tools can never be copied & be as good as the original. Channellocks, Vise Grips & Crescent wrenches are 3 that come to mind.

I agree, personally Id rather buy the original and leave no doubt that I am getting a quality product.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #19  
I haven't been all that impressed with Sears. I was reading about how they basically copied a US made wrench (the Loggerhead) and outsourced it to a Chinese company. It sounds like Sears did it simply because they could make the wrench in China cheaper and yet sell it for the same price at their stores. It just seams like when they ran into financial problems they decided to sacrifice some of what made the company what it once was.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #20  
I still buy tools at Sears. Call me old-fashioned but I like to buy tools there. Not blindly so, but that is my first stop. I will not darken the doorway at HF. I do not support those that take tools back to Sears and demand service yet toss those bought at HF when they go bad and buy more there.