Kobalt or Craftsman

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #21  
I used to love craftsman wrenches. I have noticed in the past years that the ratchets aren't as smooth as they use to be, and I have busted a few knuckles lately when the gear slipped on the ratchet.
Now I just pick up tools whichever store I'm at other than Sears.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #22  
My vast tool supply is largely Craftsman with 35 years of work. Kobolt is likewise good. Happy with both.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #23  
I used to love craftsman wrenches. I have noticed in the past years that the ratchets aren't as smooth as they use to be, and I have busted a few knuckles lately when the gear slipped on the ratchet.

Take the snap ring out with a pair of needle nose pliers and put a dab of grease on the ratcheting part. Works great for me and i've been doing it for decades.

There is a website about Craftsman tools out there. Interesting reading.

How do I find this site?

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #24  
I just took a 1/2" ratchet to my local Ace for replacement, and they ordered me a new ratchet. I wish they had just rebuilt it- the replacement is made in China, and although the casting looks identical, it doesn't sound the same. The gear and paw action sounds cheap, compared to my other 1/2" Craftsman ratchets (I have 3 others that I have accrued over the years). I also have some Kobalt stuff, and it has been fine. Myself, I have no problem with Kobalt, although Sears has a much more extensive line of tools, and the Ace Hardware is closer than Lowe's. And, the Ace is locally owned. So, that decides it for me, not the tool itself.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #25  

I have a Craftsman 3/8 ratchet that is slipping. It's not that old and is not the first Craftsman to do this.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #26  
Craftsman will honor it. Or, you could open it up, clean it, and give it some lube. I found an older 1/2" ratchet in with a 3/4" Snap-on set that my dad bought years ago for $20, and it slipped. I pulled it apart, cleaned and lubed it, and it works great. I would rather put a little elbow grease into the USA made ratchet, than get another China-made replacement.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #27  
I think they both are nearly equal now. The problem is when it DOES break or have issues, will they honor the warranty? I dunno, I can tell you this much- most of my tools are already a mix of stuff. mostly old stuff from 10-30 years ago and a few withing last 5 years or older then me that doesnt get much use but its right tool for the one time job that might be needed again. I have sears, snap-on, challenger,kobalts, husky, HF,alltrade and few others. Like others said - I had tools from sears that cracked or broke or worn out that was replaced with a reburbished one and sometimes new due to fact they have no refurb on shelf at the moment. they are still working today. the lesser known brands that broke or wore out, I never took it back for warranty due to fact it wasnt all that great as a tool. I just got better replacements.

So having said all that - if you dont already have a decent set, and dont know the direction you want to go- chances are you will/might change your mind as time go on and you will have a better idea what you want based on what you already have to build on. Most people always needs to build on whatever set they just got because it didnt have something or you need a better way of wrenching something more often. I wouldnt sweat the details which brand except go with the well known brands.both sears and kobalts are well known.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #28  
Looking at a 220 pc tool set from Lowes/Kobalt and Sears Craftsman. Both are Metric and Standard sockets and three ratchets 1/2, 1/4, and 3/8. Some wrenches, allen set, and other small stuff.

Been back and forth between the two. Both on sale for $ 99.00. Kobalt is made in Taiwan. Sears is USA, China, and Taiwan.

I noticed that Sears had their lifetime return policy with restrictions while Kobalt has the lifetime nohassle/any reason return policy.

I have a couple of Kobalt sockets and extentions which seem to be equal to some of the Craftsman tools I have.

I can get 5% off the Kobalt using my Lowes card so that makes them a bit cheaper. I don't use my tools enough to wear them out but I would like a dependable set.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Go to the post office and ask for a moving packet (addy change) inside is a 10% off coupon.

Saving 5% on your Lowes card costs you 22% interest.

Cash.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #29  
I still buy tools at Sears. Call me old-fashioned but I like to buy tools there. Not blindly so, but that is my first stop. I will not darken the doorway at HF. I do not support those that take tools back to Sears and demand service yet toss those bought at HF when they go bad and buy more there.
HF tools have their place and I have several sets of their tools. A year or so ago they had their large 1" drive socket sets on sale for $49 each metric and SAE. I got the wife to pick up a set of each that I use occassionally for the large nuts on equipment. No way would I have bought a set of those from anywhere else due to price. Heck one 2" socket would cost nearly that much. They are also guarantteed for life and HF does honor that so why not use them when you need a seldom used wrench set. Maybe you are made of money and have it to burn but not me. Sure some of the stuff there is junk but some of the Kobalt and Craftsman stuff is no better either.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #30  
i have tried both and like the feel of craftman over kobalt...don't know why just do.