BX25: Fill rear tires or not?

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #11  
When I bought my BX25 2 years ago I asked the dealer about filling the tires. He stated as long as the tractor was in warranty he would not do it and if I had it done elsewhere it would void the drive train and engine warranty. He said the reason is on the 25 the tire side walls were too weak to withstand the extra pressure especially with the BH or a heavy implement attached. I discussed with my local Schwab tire dealer and thay do it all the time on SCUTS. They have a Yanmar dealer down the block and they fill their SCUTS before selling. They have tires similar to the BX. I am on the fence. I need to lower my COG as I am now working on hilly terrain a lot. Wheel weights sound like a PIA and suitcase weights are very expensive and you never see them used. I may just resort to making hang on concrete weights of various weights. I would make brackets so they hang as low as possible. I will be watching this thread to solidify what action I will take.

Ron

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #12  
Forgive me........what's a SCUTS??????????

When I bought my BX25 2 years ago I asked the dealer about filling the tires. He stated as long as the tractor was in warranty he would not do it and if I had it done elsewhere it would void the drive train and engine warranty. He said the reason is on the 25 the tire side walls were too weak to withstand the extra pressure especially with the BH or a heavy implement attached. I discussed with my local Schwab tire dealer and thay do it all the time on SCUTS. They have a Yanmar dealer down the block and they fill their SCUTS before selling. They have tires similar to the BX. I am on the fence. I need to lower my COG as I am now working on hilly terrain a lot. Wheel weights sound like a PIA and suitcase weights are very expensive and you never see them used. I may just resort to making hang on concrete weights of various weights. I would make brackets so they hang as low as possible. I will be watching this thread to solidify what action I will take.

Ron

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #13  
idaho181 said:
Forgive me........what's a SCUTS??????????

Sub Compact Utility Tractor

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #14  
I say fill them. The tires are filled on my BX. If you take the loader off you will be glad to have the weight. The Kubota weights are concrete covered in plastic just like a lawn mower set. The ones off of the Cub Cadet I had would have fit the BX. The weights will stick out past the tires some. Fluid filled tires will give you more traction and stability.

My BX owners manual says you can either fill the tires or use wheels weights but not both or you will damage the trans.

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #15  
Fill them and don't look back!

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #16  
I had my BX23 rears foam filled because I was tired of flats at the most inopportune times.

As a benefit, I noticed stability improved as did backhoe operation.

I don't mow with the BX...

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #17  
My BX owners manual says you can either fill the tires or use wheels weights but not both or you will damage the trans.

Yeah. Though I have mine filled and hung another 50 lbs on them this summer to handle my hills. Why would either one be ok, but the combination be a no-no? I can't imagine why that would put more wear on components than the same weight all in one form or another. I figure my 11 gallons must be somewhere around 100 lbs in each wheel plus the 50 lbs on the wheel. Yet I've seen one of the guys here put somewhere around 200# in weights and that's acceptable?

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #18  
Yeah. Though I have mine filled and hung another 50 lbs on them this summer to handle my hills. Why would either one be ok, but the combination be a no-no? I can't imagine why that would put more wear on components than the same weight all in one form or another. I figure my 11 gallons must be somewhere around 100 lbs in each wheel plus the 50 lbs on the wheel. Yet I've seen one of the guys here put somewhere around 200# in weights and that's acceptable?

I don't if the extra rotating mass woul be hard on the trans or what their reasoning is for not filling the tires and adding wheel weights.

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not?
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. After reading them over and pondering a bit more, I think I'm going to stick with the plan to have the rears filled. In my case, the decision is driven by the uses to which I intend to put the machine. While I do have several backhoe projects lined up, and will obviously have the hoe on while doing them, I expect that the hoe will be off and stowed in the garage at all other times, e.g., mowing, miscellaneous loader work, snow removal, etc. I know I could get the same or better ballast effect by hooking up my box blade or rake, but that adds length, reduces maneuverability, and takes extra time. Given that several people have described their own long term, trouble-free use of BX TLBs with loaded rears, and that my machine is likely to spend most its life with me imitating a BX2360, I feel pretty comfortable taking my chances.

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #20  
Fluid in the tires is not a replacement for a ballast on the back.