BX25: Fill rear tires or not?

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #22  
When I bought my BX25 2 years ago I asked the dealer about filling the tires. He stated as long as the tractor was in warranty he would not do it and if I had it done elsewhere it would void the drive train and engine warranty. He said the reason is on the 25 the tire side walls were too weak to withstand the extra pressure especially with the BH or a heavy implement attached. I discussed with my local Schwab tire dealer and thay do it all the time on SCUTS. They have a Yanmar dealer down the block and they fill their SCUTS before selling. They have tires similar to the BX. I am on the fence. I need to lower my COG as I am now working on hilly terrain a lot. Wheel weights sound like a PIA and suitcase weights are very expensive and you never see them used. I may just resort to making hang on concrete weights of various weights. I would make brackets so they hang as low as possible. I will be watching this thread to solidify what action I will take.

Ron

Another classic case of misinformed understanding of forces. Tell me - why does the kubota manual says NOTHING about having filled rears when using the 3 pt to the max like a bush hog lifted up or any implement? Wouldn't this exert the EXACT same forces but more perhaps on the sidewall tires?

Come on guys -- like I said before, something is not kosher with that statement on the manual.

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #23  
When I bought my BX25 2 years ago I asked the dealer about filling the tires. He stated as long as the tractor was in warranty he would not do it and if I had it done elsewhere it would void the drive train and engine warranty. He said the reason is on the 25 the tire side walls were too weak to withstand the extra pressure especially with the BH or a heavy implement attached. I discussed with my local Schwab tire dealer and thay do it all the time on SCUTS. They have a Yanmar dealer down the block and they fill their SCUTS before selling. They have tires similar to the BX. I am on the fence. I need to lower my COG as I am now working on hilly terrain a lot. Wheel weights sound like a PIA and suitcase weights are very expensive and you never see them used. I may just resort to making hang on concrete weights of various weights. I would make brackets so they hang as low as possible. I will be watching this thread to solidify what action I will take.

Ron
Pound for pound, water ballast puts less strain on the power train than wheel weights. As for more power to turn a wheel with water than wheel weights, think of it this way, how much power does it take for water to run down hill.(think how much friction does water have on the tire) For sure there is some friction of the water to the tire to overcome but that would almost be impossible to measure it would be so small. The water would put more weight lower to the ground also. As for not filling the tires with a backhoe, I can only think of one reason and that would be the extra weight put on the tires and stabilizers trying to lift it, HOWEVER, the BX tires are so small that it wouldnt be adding any appreciable amount of weight for the hydraulics.

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #24  
Another classic case of misinformed understanding of forces. Tell me - why does the kubota manual says NOTHING about having filled rears when using the 3 pt to the max like a bush hog lifted up or any implement? Wouldn't this exert the EXACT same forces but more perhaps on the sidewall tires?

Come on guys -- like I said before, something is not kosher with that statement on the manual.

Unless their concern is the weight hanging off the axle when the stabilizers pick the rear of the machine off the ground...

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #25  
Unless their concern is the weight hanging off the axle when the stabilizers pick the rear of the machine off the ground...

But if that's the case, then wheel weights should also be of concern, yet they are not. And why are wheel weights ok to use, filled tires are ok to use (in most cases), but not the combination. If the concern is lifting, then it shouldn't matter what type of weight it is. Or are they assuming nobody would ever load a BX wheel with more than 75lbs? I know somebody here had his BX weighted with 200lbs per wheel. That's more than my 100lbs of fill and 50lbs on the hub. (Now, mine isn't a BH model, but I would think the rear axles would be pretty much the same).

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #26  
. As for not filling the tires with a backhoe, I can only think of one reason and that would be the extra weight put on the tires and stabilizers trying to lift it, HOWEVER, the BX tires are so small that it wouldnt be adding any appreciable amount of weight for the hydraulics.

Thank you. My point exactly.

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #27  
W/O the BH on, the BX25 is desperate for as much weight as it can get.
W/ the BH on there is no need at all for rear wheel weights unless one wants
a lower COG.
I too am kinda bumfuddleducked as to why exactly they say no rear wheel
weights when BH is loaded but when I hit 2 years I will load the rear AND put
on weights for when the BH is not attached, but run weights 24/7. I see o issue's.
I "hope" it is just a tire issue. Here is a novel idea, how about a letter asking why
to Kubota Inc?

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #28  
Maybe it puts the weight over what the ROPS is designed to support in the event of a rollover?

Kubota is a pretty smart company, employing smart engineers (and lawyers). There must be SOME reason to spend the effort to print the line in the manual.

/ BX25: Fill rear tires or not? #30  
I have offered this theory before, and nobody saluted. I will offer it again, but I don't expect any salutes this time either. :D

Air is compressible and fluids essentially are not. If you hit a bump of the proper shape under the right circumstances, perhaps that could be problematic if the tire is filled. Problematic to what? The tire, the axle, the bearings, who really knows. Fill the tires, put on the backhoe, and hit the right speed bump at the right speed, and send in the video and we will all have our opinion I reckon.

When I was looking at possible backhoe additions to my BX2200, the backhoes were well beyond what the lift could handle, which is ONE of the reasons they were sub-frame mounted.

My BX2200 has no backhoe, I decided to buy an additional tractor. But my BX would be nothing without filled tires. Were it me, I would fill the tires, but I would be a truly slow mover with the backhoe on.