Frustrated with myself and tractor.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #31  
If it cranks over you can pretty much forget the safety switches. Its a fuel issue, on my jd 2320 I don't have to bleed after a fuel filter change. Is it possible the filter isn't seated correctly or the bowl not sealing. Possibly the o-ring at the top of the filter bowl.

The part number for your manual is OMRW15455 , I look for an electronic version. I couldn't find it. You or someone else might though.

As a newb, I would not sugest using ether. Unitl you know enough about the risks IMO you don't want to use it. IMO its typically used in very small amounts on old tractors that are sitting real cold and are normally hard starting anyway. I think its like giving your tractor cocain, once they're on, they will want more. So far you're are chasing a fuel problem, get that resolved first.

Having blown a head gasket using either I agree with your caution but I thought it was a realistic option the original poster should be aware of, and I tried to give her a heads up that a little works good but too much breaks engines. If I could have communicated it's advantages and disadvantages better I would have , but just putting it out on the thread brings in all the positive and negative feedback and usually that is as good or better then an experts dissertation.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #32  
I think the fuel filter is in upside down :2cents:

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #33  
I think the fuel filter is in upside down :2cents:
At first I thought this was silly, but not knowing what a JD750 looks like and where it fits in the fuel line it becomes a real possibility. Anybody got pictures and or specs to clear it up?

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #34  
I owned a 750 in the past and what I'm going to say is based on memory. The only time I had difficulty starting is when the fuel was contaminated with algae. The algae restricted fuel from the fuel tank. After purging all the old fuel and cleaning the tank a specific sequence was needed to purge all the air from the system.

First off make certain the fuel cutoff lever located on the filter bowl assembly is in the on position. Use the bleed screw (also located on the filter housing to purge) any air in the filter bowl. Fuel should run pretty good from the bleed screw. (The bleed screw had a hex head with a Philips cross in the center. I always used a Philips screw driver)

The fuel fitting at the injectors need to be cracked open enough to allow air and fuel to pass, but still supply the injector. I believe I could only access the outer two injectors with a wrench and couldn't get the middle injector loose. The repair manual detailed a specific sequence as to which injector to do first. Wish I could remember the details. Kind of remember allowing the engine to run a bit before tightening the injector fuel line nut. Following the procedure outlined in the manual and the tractor started rather quickly. I gave the manuals to the new owner, so I cannot reference directly.

Diesel fuel can be finicky. If there is any question as to its condition/age, I suggest changing it with fresh.

There is definitely a neutral safety switch, but can't remember if there was one for the PTO or clutch. If it is turning over this is a moot point.

Added in edit: I don't think the filter can be installed incorrectly (upside down) as suggested earlier.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / Frustrated with myself and tractor. #35  
Excellent post moship.:thumbsup: I have never put my hands on a 750 in my life but after reading your post I think I could bleed a fuel line no problem. Good luck Karmakat, I foresee you getting this JD running in no time a all.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #36  
You can buy an additive to kill algea. Can't remember the name, but you can find it with a google. I bought some for a friends dozer. It turned out his filter wasn't on tight enough. after tightening it he has not had any trouble.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor.
The newb comment fine. I have a thicker skin than that. I laugh at myself more than others do.=]

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor.
Thanks. And no upside down isnt a possibility with this one(don't know on others). I wasn't able to crank and bleed atthe same time;so probrally still have air trapped. Will try this afternoon.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #39  
I have at least one spare fuel filter for my JD870. My tractor has one filter by the tank and another by the fuel pump on the engine. The parts catalog only shows one for the 750. In any event if things got mucked up once there is a chance it will get mucked up again. Hopefully be good for a few years assuming the tank doesn't have a bunch of growth.
John Deere - Parts Catalog

I like to keep my tank as full as I can over the winter. I need to top it off today as mine sits most of the winter. We rarely have snow and no mowing.

/ Frustrated with myself and tractor. #40