Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #41  
My original Subaru EH65 wouldn't start below 40 without being warmed up with an engine heater. The EH72FI I swapped in starts below freezing without issue. I don't yet know how cold it will need to get before it starts complaining....

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #43  
I would guess all PT owners ''unload'' the hydraulics on their machines, mine starts in the high 20's (temperature) if the hydraulics are unloaded but if I forget its lucky to start at high 30's, our skid loader on the farm was the same way.

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #44  
How can you unload them? All three pumps are directly coupled to the engine.

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #45  
maybe I should rephrase my earlier comment, I cycle everything on the PT that is hydraulic, to release residual pressure in the system, IE: joystick control, treadle for forward and reverse, and also turn the steering wheel back and forth. Frequently I have seen the loader arms or bucket jump/twitch when cycling the controls, and also experienced the PT start to roll after cycling the treadle

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #46  
maybe I should rephrase my earlier comment, I cycle everything on the PT that is hydraulic, to release residual pressure in the system, IE: joystick control, treadle for forward and reverse, and also turn the steering wheel back and forth. Frequently I have seen the loader arms or bucket jump/twitch when cycling the controls, and also experienced the PT start to roll after cycling the treadle

Im a going to try that out.

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #47  

O.K. Yep! I do that after I shut off the engine. Put the joystick in float. Cycle the aux PTO lever and stomp on the pedals in both directions. Don't know if it does any difference in cold weather or not but surely can't hurt.

I keep a trickle charger on my battery in the winter. And I have been slowly adding Mobil1 to the hydraulics at each filter change over the last 11 years.

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #48  
Does the engine spin easily with the starter, but will just never ignite the gas?

It turns over, but certainly not as quickly as when it's warm. I think Tim_in_CT (Now in Vienna Va) called it; it's the hydraulic oil that creates a load on the engine (and battery), which slows the starter. The faster the engine cranks, the better the magneto is going to perform. My guess is that it comes down to getting a spark when the engine is cold--the engine turns just a little too slowly. I had another failed start tonight. I didn't warm it up enough before attempting. The tractor's on the charger now. I'll try again in the morning....

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #49  
Have you ever used starting fluid before your first attempt to start it in cold weather?

Starting fluid works really well, but it can be overused.

Remove the air cleaner. Open the choke fully. Spray a two second shot of stating fluid in the carb. NO MORE. Close the choke. Set the throttle to 1/2 and give it a crank for no more that 5 seconds. If it doesn't at least pop on the starting fluid, you probably have a weak spark or ignition problem.

/ Robin Subaru Engine Problems With Solutions #50