Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #31  
And 4Shorts, I'm sorry, my geography of your area is pretty lame, but I hope this is close to you.
You are about to get some very wild weather coming at you. Stay safe.
Wonder how your lights will work in a squall, could be blinding. Give us a full report please of your adventures. Drew

Channel-Port aux Basques and vicinity
5:41 AM NST Thursday 07 February 2013
Snow squall warning for
Channel-Port aux Basques and vicinity issued

Snow squalls will develop this afternoon giving near zero visibility along with locally rapid accumulation of snow.

A low pressure system over the Gulf of St. Lawrence will quickly track across Northern Newfoundland today. A sharp frontal trough associated with this system will sweep across the island and bring with it a brief but intense burst of wind. These winds will coincide with a short period of intense snowfall for areas of the Northeast Coast from the Bonavista Peninsula to White Bay. Visibility will drop to near zero for a few hours tonight as the front tracks eastward. Winds are generally expected to gust up 80 km/h for most of the island except in the Port aux Basques, Cape Race and Bonavista areas where winds expected to gust to 100 km/h.

Over the Northern Peninsula winds are expected to increase this afternoon and remain strong enough to reduce visibility in blowing snow until after midnight.

In the wake of this system a steady and cold northwesterly flow will develop over the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Snow squalls will develop across most of the west coast this evening and persist into tonight. Snowfall accumulations could reach up to 25 centimetres in the heaviest squalls and combining with the strong winds will reduce visibility to near zero at times.

In regions under a snow squall watch: the potential for near zero visibility in snow squalls exists tonight.

Drew I'm on the other side of the island. Here's our forecast. Not what your going to get. Eventually it will end up here. I'll let you know how the lights work out in a now squall. I do know the snow do melt off of them but they may be blinding in a squall and that's why I kept its original lighting on the machine. It's nice to have choices :D
Stay safe own there guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 184
   / Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #32  
Thursday 5:38 PM

Nearly 54 million people are under winter weather advisories in the Northeast, 23 million are under a blizzard warning.

Meanwhile, in Midwest, up to 7 inches of snow has fallen on parts of WI/MI, with more to come.

This is the kind of dangerous weather that sends your local emts and firemen to their stations to sleep over, and work crazy long days.

Our first truck out when I was active was my favorite, a small "tactical" truck built on a Chevy frame similar to a gas station wrecker. 250 gallons of water, not
much, but enough to put little stuff out before it got bigger. And man did that thing handle like a pig, jacked up 4wd chassis, that water sloshing around, it made for
some palpitations going around turns. And you never wanted to hit the brakes too hard, got really squirrely. Peirce's finest, what a marvelous Imron paint job. We got about fifteen years out of that truck.

And when the snow came down, then you had to balance going fast enough to get up the local hills vs. sliding around. Luckily it had
very good traction with the equivalent of six snow tires on it. Sometimes the big tankers had real problems on bad icy roads, no matter how
carefully you drove. Scratch the truck, might as well tar and feather yourself.

So tomorrow night when your power is off and your gen is keeping you warm, tip a glass to the emergency folks.

Just hope the wind doesn't knock too much down. A gentle two feet of snow is one thing, a howling blizzard is something else.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #33  
forecast in my area is 6-10 inches and 8-12 inches depending on who says it. Boston is to get 18-24 in. We'll see what happens. Snowsledders will be happy with a big one.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #34  

Well, not for a real blizzard or monster storm. The skid steer should be backed into a garage with an overhead door, or if not that, then parked, pointed in a useful direction, somewhere near a house door that has a shovel handy :D

It won't be too useful sitting on that trailer pointing the wrong way in the case of serious snow and drifting.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #35  
Evening news says 1 to 2 feet with 30 to 40 mph winds. Eeek! anyone got a spare cab?

IMG_0512.JPG

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #36  
Well, not for a real blizzard or monster storm. The skid steer should be backed into a garage with an overhead door, or if not that, then parked, pointed in a useful direction, somewhere near a house door that has a shovel handy :D

It won't be too useful sitting on that trailer pointing the wrong way in the case of serious snow and drifting.

It's getting towed to the commercial property I maintain. It will be there tomorrow long before it is actually needed. And I bought the wife a shovel......just in case.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #37  
I'm watching the news and weather channels. I'm very amused by the level of hype over this storm. It wouldn't surprise me if the one to two feet predicted ends up being just six to eight inches but the busty news babe out there in a wind breaker will be telling us about how dangerous this storm is and how unprecedented. That's OK by me. "Have tractor, Will plow".

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #38  
I'm watching the news and weather channels. I'm very amused by the level of hype over this storm. It wouldn't surprise me if the one to two feet predicted ends up being just six to eight inches but the busty news babe out there in a wind breaker will be telling us about how dangerous this storm is and how unprecedented. That's OK by me. "Have tractor, Will plow".

There is nothing wrong with a busty weather babe...nothing at all!

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #39  
Evening news says 1 to 2 feet with 30 to 40 mph winds. Eeek! anyone got a spare cab?

View attachment 301848

from reading this, you might be lucky to only get 40mph winds. Sounds downright dangerous along the coast.
Not a night for boating...

A potentially historic Nor'easter is brewing for the Northeast U.S., where blizzard watches are up for much of eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. The storm, dubbed "Nemo" by the Weather Channel, is expected to bring heavy snows of 1 - 2 feet, coastal wind gusts over hurricane force, and moderate to major coastal flooding. During the peak of the storm, Friday night into Saturday morning, snowfall rates of 2 - 3" per hour can be expected. These intense bursts of snow may be accompanied by lightning and thunder. The cites of Boston, Hartford, Providence, Portland, and Burlington are all likely to get more than a foot of snow, and two feet of snow will probably fall along a swath from the western suburbs of Boston to Southwest Maine. With the Nor'easter generating these heavy snows expected to bomb out with a central pressure of 972 - 976 mb, the rapid flow of air around this low pressure center will generate ferocious sustained winds near 50 mph at the coast, with wind gusts in excess of hurricane force--74 mph. The combination of heavy snow and high winds will make travel extremely dangerous or impossible, with near-zero visibility in white-out conditions. Total snowfall from the storm is likely to rank in the top ten for Boston since weather observations began at Logan Airport in 1936

any of you guys live in that "swath"?