"Budget" Barndominium Build Begins

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #21  
That metal for the framing had to be expensive...

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #22  
I bet the foam insulation is necessary due to condensation of the metal?
Did you have someone spray it on for you with equipment, or did you order a kit?
I'm doing a metal quonset hut home and am at the point of deciding what to do

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins
That metal for the framing had to be expensive...

Not too bad. My helper's brother works for a metal supply company....:)

I bet the foam insulation is necessary due to condensation of the metal?
Did you have someone spray it on for you with equipment, or did you order a kit?
I'm doing a metal quonset hut home and am at the point of deciding what to do

It's so dry where the barn is that condensation will likely never be a problem.
I had the foam sprayed in by a contractor. Foam has a long pay-out but I don't intend on selling in my lifetime....

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #25  
I might be too late in some areas, but if you use cheap felt paper behind the barn boards all the seams will disappear. I like to use recycled boards for wainscotting and it works very well.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #26  
It's so dry where the barn is that condensation will likely never be a problem.
I had the foam sprayed in by a contractor. Foam has a long pay-out but I don't intend on selling in my lifetime....

I hear you on the long payout, but I'm in the same boat, dont plan on selling ever....

Now, I heard that metal sweats easily when the inside space is air conditioned/heated. If it is really hot outside, and you run a/c inside, that the metal will sweat?

I'm planning on painting the outside with Coolseal from lowes, then use closed cell spray foam on the inside...

can you tell me how much it cost you to do that amount of space?

keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

OK time for an update. Deer season and work-related travel and holidays slowed down progress a bit but things are ramping back up now. The HVAC unit is installed and works like a champ. The foam insulation really is doing it's job. The other night we went out and it was 53 in the BB and we turned the heat on. It took about 5 minutes to reach 65 and then shut off. We stayed out there planning/looking/talking for 30+ minutes and the temperature held- the unit never came back on. We had the simple spiral ducting used and it works just fine.
DSC_0006_zps898b93e0.jpg

The living area is complete now except for some outlet/switch covers. All the fans are up and the wiring is ready for the big-screen tv.
DSC_0004_zps53de42c1.jpg

Bedroom is ready- fan up, closet painted.
DSC_0012_zps81dbacad.jpg

Shower will be tiled in this week. We found some 67 cent tiles on sale and so that's good to go.
DSC_0010_zps242a424d.jpg

Used OSB board with a couple of coats of paint in the kitchen area.
DSC_0009_zpsdcf0608e.jpg

Had some old feed sacks laying around so they were used to wallpaper the dining area wall. Going to add a few more pieces and then seal it in this week.
DSC_0008_zpsc3f78248.jpg

TIme to start building in the cabinets/sinks/etc.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #28  
That's quite the guest room you're building. Love the wallpaper!

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #29  
It looks fantastic. Love all the old wood and feed sacks on the wall. Did you use Hodge Podge to put it up? How are you going to seal it?

Eddie

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #30  
Barn is looking great! Question: why did you frame out the back wall w/ 2x4s (especially on a budget? I will be doing a similar build and was planning to use nailer boards on the inside in lieu of 2x4s since there is no real wall load.