"Budget" Barndominium Build Begins

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #41  
That makes sense.

Eddie

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #42  
Could someone explain those indoor plumbing vents to me?How do they keep gasses out of the house?My mother recently had to have her bathroom sink re-plumbed,and the installed an under sink vent.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #43  
Could someone explain those indoor plumbing vents to me?How do they keep gasses out of the house?My mother recently had to have her bathroom sink re-plumbed,and the installed an under sink vent.

They use a "Spring Loaded" check valve that opens under vacuum to let air into line when the water is going down and spring closes it when there is no vacuum or when pressure in the pipes.

Mark

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #44  
Congratulations on completion of your barndominium. That is a swell lookin' place. There'll be times you wished you had a full sized oven or maybe end up getting a hotplate to use in place of oven burners, but for 90% of the the time, a microwave and toaster oven is all you need. Your refrigerator looks identical to the refrigerator I put into my cabin years ago. Is rainwater your only source of water? I'm surprised your county let you put in a septic tank without a well, but maybe it's not required or rainwater is just a supplement. It will be interesting to see how the tax assessor values the place without a well too. I'm not trying to bring up taxes as a downer, but they will find you. After all the work you've put into the place, they make you feel like it's theirs instead of yours.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #45  
I'd love to see more pics and hear more detail on the construction of the table/island. How did you join the boards? Just glue and a clamp? They turned out pretty well for just being a bunch of 2x4's.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #46  
They use a "Spring Loaded" check valve that opens under vacuum to let air into line when the water is going down and spring closes it when there is no vacuum or when pressure in the pipes.

Mark

Thanks.It's basically a check valve or one way valve. :thumbsup:

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins
Is rainwater your only source of water? I'm surprised your county let you put in a septic tank without a well, but maybe it's not required or rainwater is just a supplement. It will be interesting to see how the tax assessor values the place without a well too. I'm not trying to bring up taxes as a downer, but they will find you. After all the work you've put into the place, they make you feel like it's theirs instead of yours.

The barndominium septic system is a 900 gallon tank that, when full, pumps down the hill to the house septic system. I intentionally had the house septic system oversized when we put it in in 2010. We do have a well, but the water is not fit to drink- too salty.

The county appraiser and a lady that works in the office with him both live in the closest neighborhood. They drive by twice a day! So yes, they have already "found" me....

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins
I'd love to see more pics and hear more detail on the construction of the table/island. How did you join the boards? Just glue and a clamp? They turned out pretty well for just being a bunch of 2x4's.

The 2x4s were doweled, then glued and clamped. It would have been better to run the sides through a planer first, but we got ahead of ourselves a little. Hence the bar-top plastic to level things out without sanding for eons...

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #49  

They are also called air-admittance-valves.