Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Out here now fixing it.

Battery voltage is high, have 12.7 volts to coil with key on. None when off. Switched lugs on the new solenoid to see if I had it backwards... no... would not respond to trying to start. Going to swap back to the old solenoid now test. Temp is dropping!

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #182  
Perhaps I missed it, but have the coil and condenser been tested and/or replaced?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #183  
he has multiple problems.

ignition AND starting.

starting is SUPER easy..

I'd test the solenoid out using jump cables and a test battery.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Soundguy, you are right, 2 issues. Massey -- both of those have been replaced.

So I tried starting the tractor before I made any changes and it still had the same behavior -- engine turning over but not firing. I switched the new solenoid around to swap poles and the tractor would not even try to start start. So I put on the old solenoid, again it would not even try to start, and it was in the previously working configuration. This is not good, so now a starting problem. I will look into that later...

I used some channel locks to bridge both sides of the solenoid and it tried starting. Still the same behavior -- coil getting power but not firing. Ugh.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #185  
Soundguy, you are right, 2 issues. Massey -- both of those have been replaced.

So I tried starting the tractor before I made any changes and it still had the same behavior -- engine turning over but not firing. I switched the new solenoid around to swap poles and the tractor would not even try to start start. So I put on the old solenoid, again it would not even try to start, and it was in the previously working configuration. This is not good, so now a starting problem. I will look into that later...

I used some channel locks to bridge both sides of the solenoid and it tried starting. Still the same behavior -- coil getting power but not firing. Ugh.

I am confused. If it was turning over why are you messing with the new solenoid?

I guess I was being stupid. it fired up before I changed the solenoid and once I switched to the new alternator it didn't start up. I figured taking out the new and swapping out to the old would be a good test.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #187  
your changing to many parts at one time.

Agreed murph. I shouldn't have replaced all of the parts until I figured out the ignition problem, which for some reason appeared after changing the alternator.

Any other good tests besides seeing if get power at the coil to test ignition? I am getting strong voltage at the terminal on the coil.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #189  
I guess I was being stupid. it fired up before I changed the solenoid and once I switched to the new alternator it didn't start up. I figured taking out the new and swapping out to the old would be a good test.

The alternator does not have anything to do with it starting. When you say start do you mean the engine actually running or do you mean the engine turn over?

Sorry, it's late. I switched the alternator and solenoid at the same time. Prior to this the tractor would fire up and run (although sometimes the starter would stay on... hence changing the solenoid). After switching those items out the tractor will turn over but not ignite and fire up. I've checked for power at the coil and it is there when the key switch is 'on' and not present when the key switch is 'off'. Any other test stuggestions would help.

Thanks for the patience.