Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #191  
The easiest thing to do would be to check for spark at the plug. Did you get the tune up kit on?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Thanks. I will get up early tomorrow morning and try to run some quick tests before work.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #193  
I am confused. If it was turning over why are you messing with the new solenoid?

I was thinking the same thing. If the engine cranks, the only remaining problem should be the ignition system. Some questions that come to mind are...

1. Is it timed correctly?
  2. Are the points gapped correctly?
  3. Is it wired correctly?
  4. Is there a ballast resistor? If so, is it good?
  5. Is there power going to the coil?
  6. Are the new coil and condenser good?
  7. Are the new coil and condenser the correct parts?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Thanks Massey, good questions. Here are my answers for some of them.

I was thinking the same thing. If the engine cranks, the only remaining problem should be the ignition system. Some questions that come to mind are...

1. Is it timed correctly? I didn't adjust timing, but it ran after I cleaned the points/distributor/etc.
  2. Are the points gapped correctly? I used the 0.15 shim that came with the overhaul kit. The seemed gapped just fine and the previous points where roughly 0.15 but it ran in this configuration.
  3. Is it wired correctly? I think so!
  4. Is there a ballast resistor? If so, is it good? This is a good question. Where would I be looking for this on a 12V conversion? Inline with the coil?
  5. Is there power going to the coil? Yes, 12.7ish voltage last time I checked.
  6. Are the new coil and condenser good? The tractor ran with the new coil and old condenser. I have not gotten the tractor to run with the new condenser yet.
  7. Are the new coil and condenser the correct parts? Yes. I bought an overhaul kit for the front mount 8N and everything fit together as it should/did when it was working.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #195  
Thanks Massey, good questions. Here are my answers for some of them.

If it has a ballast resistor it should provide power to the coil, but since there is good voltage going to the coil it's probably safe to say this is not the problem. Your answers lead me to believe that the new condenser may be the problem. I've got new ones that were bad right out of the box, so it's a very real possibility. Since the tractor ran with the old condenser, it might be a good idea to try using the old condenser as a test to see if the new one is bad.

Massey -- good point but it stopped igniting before I changed over to the new condenser. It was igniting but the starter was sticking, replaced the alternator and solenoid and then no more igniting. I then got the overhaul kit in the mail and changed out the spark plug wires, points, condenser, rotor, distrib cap... and it still would not ignite.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #197  
Check for spark at each plug. If no spark, I would change out the condenser. They're cheap and you should be able to get one while out for work today or on the way home. It doesn't hurt to have a spare anyway.

quick update, I got the solenoid working. It was not fastened and secure enough to the starter so I did not have a ground. I tightened it up and it worked.

I pulled a spark plug wire, hooked it up to it to the old spark plug, and there was no spark. Is there a way to to test the whole distributor with coil and points off of the tractor? Say on a bench? Would I just need 12 volt power?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #199  
This has got to be frustrating for you, but I think you are very close.

I don't know about testing the ignition on a bench. Maybe. I have had a 6 volt coil tested on a bench by a New Holland dealer. I don't know what the method was.

I've lost track, do you have a new coil installed? If so, I suspect the condenser. This assumes you have correctly installed the new points with proper gap. Do the points open and close when you spin the distributor shaft by hand (when you have the distributor uninstalled)?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #200  
New or not, my money is still on the condenser.