Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU?

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #91  
In this Massey video, they clearly state position control. In there own brochure, it is called 'rate of drop' control. For the Massey 1500 series, it clearly states 'position control'. I had asked the question before, but the thread got off topic.

What it is for sure is beyond me. I know what John Deere means when they compare a 1026r to a 1026e. Plus, I've watched the propaganda video of the Kubota squashing an egg :)

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #92  
In this Massey video, they clearly state position control. In there own brochure, it is called 'rate of drop' control. For the Massey 1500 series, it clearly states 'position control'. I had asked the question before, but the thread got off topic.

What it is for sure is beyond me. I know what John Deere means when they compare a 1026r to a 1026e. Plus, I've watched the propaganda video of the Kubota squashing an egg :)

The rate of drop control is the valve below the front edge of the seat that controls the rate of drop of the 3pt arms depending on the weight of the implement you have on the 3pt and the setting of this valve to allow the fluid to return to the tank. All tractors I have seen have this valve. Whether they have position control or not.

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #93  
Singalo posted in the Massey forum, for me to post here about the GC series 3pt. I'm including a pic of mine. It is up/nuetral/down. I can stop it anywhere in it's travel(by moving the lever back to the center position), but getting the exact same spot is a one-in-a-million shot. Sorry it took so long for my response, Singalo. I'm an over the road trucker and just got home a little while ago.

Attachments

• 3pt..jpg
    3pt..jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
   / Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #94  
Something that I feel compelled to mention, even though one is taking life in their own hands while posting here, is that position control is just that--position control. The actual cutting depth of an implement is controlled by other factors also. Examples would be soil density, soil moisture, groundspeed etc and these can all vary within the same field within a few feet of each other.

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #95  
Something that I feel compelled to mention, even though one is taking life in their own hands while posting here, is that position control is just that--position control. The actual cutting depth of an implement is controlled by other factors also. Examples would be soil density, soil moisture, groundspeed etc and these can all vary within the same field within a few feet of each other.
Yep. Position control controls the position of the 3 point arms in relation to the tractor, noting else.

Aaron Z

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #96  
Nope. Read your manual. :laughing:

On our old IH2500b we had the lever that raised and lowered the 3pt hitch. Where ever you stopped it, it would stay at that height until you moved the lever again.

Then there was a lockable stop so you could set the depth (how far down the lift would drop) and return to that depth each time with ease. So, you get to the end of your row, raise the implement, turn around, lower the implement back to the same depth and continue.

I considered the lever the position control and the adjustable stop the depth control.

Then there was the draft control.
If the implement in the ground started to gain resistance, the rear tires would start digging in, which would make them go down, which would make the implement push against the top link. The top link was connected to a rockshaft, which would activate the draft control, which would raise the implement, which would decrease the resistance to the ground from the implement, which would make the tractor not have to pull such a load, so it would gain some traction, stop digging in and move forward, which would make the top link stop pushing on the implement, which would stop pushing on the rockshaft, which would turn off the draft control, which would lower the implement back to the depth in the soil that the depth control was set to and off you go.
There was a sensitivity adjustment on the draft control, which you had to adjust for implement and soil conditions.

I have always thought of the draft control as responding to draft of the implement rather than the tires slipping and "digging in". An example would be when bottom plowing where the draft force is several inches below the pivot point between the lower 3PT arms and the implement. The torque produced results in a line of action which compresses the spring to which the upper link is attached. (or electronic sensor for that matter) The draft control then reacts by slightly raising the implement. This will result in a controlled reaction under the right conditions and with the sensitivity adjusted to a happy medium.
I do see, on the other hand, where the tire slippage and diggin in would generate the same torque and reaction. Again this depends on the happy sensitivity adjustment otherwise a pogo stick effect can be introduced into the operation.

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #97  
Singalo profile has sure changed. The dealer must of told him to go fly a kite and send him back to the white house where he can debat over a large soda. They like debaters there.

Last edited:
   / Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #98  
Position control is a control for position, How's that for a fat kid!:laughing:

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #99  
Singalo profile has sure changed. The dealer must of told him to go fly a kite and send him back to the white house where can debat over a large soda. They like debaters there.

How did he change his join date? it was 2-?-2013

/ Debating POSITION CONTROL. What is it to YOU? #100  
How did he change his join date? it was 2-?-2013
Perhaps he had another username which he had created in the past, but lost access to and after finding it, asked Muhammad (or another admin) to merge the accounts?
His user number (190599) is still higher than that of trktrman (184383) who joined in Dec 2012, so is that happened, the Singalo account remained the active account.

Aaron Z