Ham Radio installs in newer pickups

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups
This is what I had been searching for with Google but couldn't locate.

Mobile Install – 2010 Ford Super Duty 6.4L « KC8QVO

Nice write up and the truck is pretty close to mine so should be very helpful. I am not fond of the HF mount, I need something neater than that and I have a bed cover so have to work out something else. Maybe a screwdriver or a whip on the rear bumper like I did on the hummer.

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #12  
This is what I had been searching for with Google but couldn't locate.

Mobile Install – 2010 Ford Super Duty 6.4L « KC8QVO

Nice write up and the truck is pretty close to mine so should be very helpful. I am not fond of the HF mount, I need something neater than that and I have a bed cover so have to work out something else. Maybe a screwdriver or a whip on the rear bumper like I did on the hummer.

yeah that antenna and tuner combo.. not so good. a coax to coax tuner is not the way to go from all I have read. Leads to the antenna need to be kept under 3 inches and bare, large conductor, not a piece of coax. A screwdriver would be a better deal.

James K0UA

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #13  
remember them oil potted 'coffee can' bummy loads for testing rigs out.

I know guys that used to use light bulbs.. untill they found out they were getting out on them still.. ;)

ratschacke still sell SWR meters?

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #14  
remember them oil potted 'coffee can' bummy loads for testing rigs out.
I know guys that used to use light bulbs.. untill they found out they were getting out on them still.. ;)
I know of a case where someone was testing a college radio starion transmitter (the college had restricted hours when they could transmit and this was outside of them) with a dummy load and they were still getting out far enough for everyone in town to hear them and their conversation in the studio...

Aaron Z

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #15  
i believe it!

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #16  
Be sure to ground the hood to the body well - also measure the resistance from the motor to the body and make sure it is well grounded. And I would recommend running both the hot and ground wires to the radio inside a shield grounded at one end.. Put a few ferrite beads on it as well near the radio. Put fuses on both the hot and ground wire and take the power directly off the battery or as close to it as you can get. Use a large enough wire. Best place for the antenna is on the top center of the vehicle. Use good quality low loss coax. Make sure you have a good ground at the base of the antenna especially if you do a rear bumper mount.

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #17  
heck with the radio. im jealous you have the h1 hummer

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #18  
Yuck.... I hate installing ANYTHING in line with ground path.

never see good end results with that.

ground is ground.... an open ground is a bad thing. means something else could be a path to ground. not so critical on low volt dc.. but in general principle.. not good IMHO..

No, There are different kinds of grounds. I really recommend that you read the section on grounds in KØBG.COM . Modern vehicles have many computers that monitor levels throughout the vehicle and an improper or badly located ground could cause ground loops that could damage your vehicle. Best ground for the power of a transmitter is either the battery connection (with fuse in line) or at the point where the battery is grounded to the body/motor (no fuse required). Most modern vehicles do not use just any point on the body as grounds for their electronics. They are grouped in specific places so as to prevent errant paths and ground loops.

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups
heck with the radio. im jealous you have the h1 hummer

Had. I enjoyed it for 14 years then decided to sell it as I did not use it off road as much the last couple years and it was a waste to have it as a street queen. Sold it and put the money toward the F-350. I had a lot of fun with that Hummer. Never left me stranded and I went through snow, mud, and water, climbed mountain pipeline roads, and drove it from NJ to South Bend twice to attend the Hummer Homecoming events in 2000 and 2002. But NOT a cheap vehicle to maintain. Parts are expensive (and probably even more so now that they are out of production) and some special tools needed to service some components. It was the only vehicle I ever bought an extended warranty on and I got paid back 5 fold. So while I said it never left me stranded (on the trail or road) it did give me problems and they were common ones that many owners experienced not just my truck. The 6.2 NA diesel was enough to move it and was good offroad since it was non-turbo but as stated in the manual "DO NOT EXCEED 63 MPH FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES" or you could damage the tranny. The beast has great capabilities but is not a good everyday driver, its the cabin noise that is the biggest problem. Of course if you drive alone anad don't use your cell while driving its not a problem. On a long drive you better bring earplugs (the later versions had better noise insulation than my 95 did).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9FPs40VUM&list=FLi53KhwgRSf6fymd51DRp2A

AMG Hummer H1 Movie - YouTube

/ Ham Radio installs in newer pickups #20  
No, There are different kinds of grounds. I really recommend that you read the section on grounds in KリBG.COM . Modern vehicles have many computers that monitor levels throughout the vehicle and an improper or badly located ground could cause ground loops that could damage your vehicle. Best ground for the power of a transmitter is either the battery connection (with fuse in line) or at the point where the battery is grounded to the body/motor (no fuse required). Most modern vehicles do not use just any point on the body as grounds for their electronics. They are grouped in specific places so as to prevent errant paths and ground loops.

you either didn't read my post.. or you misunderstood what I said.

I'm advocating a perfect ground with nothing else in line with ground. nothing biasing ground like a bad connection.. and nothing that lifts ground.. like an OPEN fuse would.

you've managed to vehemently agree with me by telling me i'm wrong. quite odd..... :(

I had my engi9neering degree before i got my ham ticket. i knew about radio propogation and ac/dc circuits long before i ever had a rig..