Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,011  
Peter:

This is starting to look really good, beyond really good actually. Let me get my 2 QQ's in before everybody else chimes in.
1) Have you decided on how to top the wall - will it be slate?
2) Are you still dead set on running stone veneer around the facia of the garage or will you make it all the same level?
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,012  
Yes, the block/stone wall will be capped with slate pieces (the stone guy will make them just like he is making the rocks).

I think NOT running stone veneer around the facia of the garage would look nice, but I'm trying to give the builder a break and not keep changing stuff on him. They already redid the hardy trim today from lowering the block walls and caulked it in preparation for repainting the entire house tomorrow.

I might play around with the new stone sample and see what the different options look in semi real life. The corner post supporting the extended roof will be hardy and not stone.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,013  
Everything's looking good Peter :thumbsup: I think the slightly darker paint will look better too. It's nice to see some "real" stuff after all the playing around we've doing since your last posts. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,014  
I think NOT running stone veneer around the facia of the garage would look nice, but I'm trying to give the builder a break and not keep changing stuff on him. They already redid the hardy trim today from lowering the block walls and caulked it in preparation for repainting the entire house tomorrow.

After knowing you for about 25 years now, I sense some sarcasm in the comment. I understand your delimma about asking the builder for another change. However, if you are EVER going to change it, now would be the time. I suspect the builder is getting into change requests costs which is understandable. However in this case, the labor and materials are actually cheaper without the full garage facia wrapped in stone veneer.

Just my 2 cents. Folks on the forum can either agree with me or argue the points I made. That is the beauty of a forum like this - the exchange of ideas:2cents:
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,015  
Are the sonotubes in the slab outside the garage man door for stabilization, anchoring?

#1,016  
So this:

day77-100.jpg

Or this:

day77-101.jpg

That is the question. :D

#1,017  
Are the sonotubes in the slab outside the garage man door for stabilization, anchoring?
They are dug down to the untouched dirt. If you look closely, you will also noticed that they have drilled holes for rebar rods into the basement wall where the patio will meet the house. All this is in an effort to prevent the patio from settling over time.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,019  
I like the second pic, full facia wrap above the OHD.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,020  
They are dug down to the untouched dirt. If you look closely, you will also noticed that they have drilled holes for rebar rods into the basement wall where the patio will meet the house. All this is in an effort to prevent the patio from settling over time.

I figured that must be the plan. I think it is a really good idea and necessary. The house is coming along nicely. I know time is short and such, but I wouldn't rush the interior work. I think the builder has given it a very good effort. Time for Plan B maybe.