Ballast Box Upgrades

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #11  
Spoke with local welding shop and they can make a box for $350 using 3/16 steel. It'll be $100 more than the JD box but will definitely be solid. Am I spending unnecessarily?
Also, anyone using hooks on their box to pull shrubs or are you attaching chain to the back of your tractor?

Having a box allows you to change the amount of weight easily. If that's what you want then no, your not spending unnecessarily. If you don't need a box, and can use just a weight like mine, it may be cheaper depending on what kind of junk your welder has lying around. I assume he would be buying the 3/16' stock, so you would be paying "new metal" price. He may only charge you scrap price for otherwise useless pcs. he has lying around.
With my design, it isn't hard to increase the weight, just weld on more scrap. I now have a larger tractor, so I do intend on adding some.Reducing the weight however would be a PITA. Cement blocks are pretty fixed also.

I never put chain hooks on my weight. If I want to tow something I connect using the 2" receiver with a ball or shackle. Hooks arn't a bad idea though. I think they would be handy. If I was going to pull shrubs I would use the drawbar.

Bill

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #12  
Having a box allows you to change the amount of weight easily. If that's what you want then no, your not spending unnecessarily. If you don't need a box, and can use just a weight like mine, it may be cheaper depending on what kind of junk your welder has lying around. I assume he would be buying the 3/16' stock, so you would be paying "new metal" price. He may only charge you scrap price for otherwise useless pcs. he has lying around.
With my design, it isn't hard to increase the weight, just weld on more scrap. I now have a larger tractor, so I do intend on adding some.Reducing the weight however would be a PITA. Cement blocks are pretty fixed also.

I never put chain hooks on my weight. If I want to tow something I connect using the 2" receiver with a ball or shackle. Hooks arn't a bad idea though. I think they would be handy. If I was going to pull shrubs I would use the drawbar.

Bill

I don't have any pics now, but I built a weight box using worn out grader blades which are pretty heavy. Designed it so tractor suitcase weights can be racked. Need more weight, add more suitcases, need less, remove some. Also serves as a great place to store my suitcase weights I use on the front of the tractor when the loader is off. I take no credit for thinking that out. Just kinda happened.... :)

/ Ballast Box Upgrades
As I continue to research and learn I'm noticing that 99% of the ballast boxes I see do not have any pulling capabilities with the exception of a tow receiver. (I have seem some heavy hitches with clevis shackles.) The concern seems to be that pulling is designed for the drawbar which keeps the weight low. Since a 3PH is capable of many tasks including dragging a plow, is it equally capable of pulling shrubs and logs and such as long as I keep the weight low? Or am I going beyond that which is necessary? Would hate to pull the BB apart!

Scan 131020003-1.jpg

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #14  
As I continue to research and learn I'm noticing that 99% of the ballast boxes I see do not have any pulling capabilities with the exception of a tow receiver. (I have seem some heavy hitches with clevis shackles.) The concern seems to be that pulling is designed for the drawbar which keeps the weight low. Since a 3PH is capable of many tasks including dragging a plow, is it equally capable of pulling shrubs and logs and such as long as I keep the weight low? Or am I going beyond that which is necessary? Would hate to pull the BB apart!

View attachment 312889

I think the problem with pulling stumps with the 3PH is that it's in float, with no down pressure. If the front wheels come off the ground the 3ph will go up too. The drawbar is in a low fixed position and would tend to keep the front end down. This would hopefully prevent a flip.
I'm sorry if I have done a poor job explaining how this works.

I put a hitch on my counterweight so that I could move my trailer, or drag my chain harrow without having to remove the weight. Things that are well anchored to the ground I generally try to dig out with the loader.
I have a stump bucket for stumps (duh) and rocks. Brush or bushes I usually remove with a rock bucket, or the standard loader bucket.

Bill

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #15  

View attachment 312889
I can only relate from the two tractors I have but after replacing the rockshaft seals ,you get a good look at the top of the 3 points internal construction , and although fairly strong it is in no way as strong as pulling down low and more solid mounting thru the lower arms and stablizers , at a minimum

plus if your tractor employs draft control are you willing to load test that part of your rockshaft ,when towing or pulling a (shock load) is not out of the question. pulling really should be done thru the
tow bar or some thing that applies the force thru the part of the tractor designed for it down low if you mount it high it will put the force thru the top link and rockshaft -draft control my 02 cents

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #16  
Not sure if you guys have seen this but based on most of the talk being about flexibility, it may meet your needs with the 72# suitcase option. No affiliation with the company just have been doing a lot of research for myself. http://heavyhitch.com/

Category1hitch-illustrated_1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ballast Box Upgrades #17  
Not sure if you guys have seen this but based on most of the talk being about flexibility, it may meet your needs with the 72# suitcase option. No affiliation with the company just have been doing a lot of research for myself. Compact Tractor Attachments & Lawn and Garden Tractor Hitches

Category1hitch-illustrated_1.jpg

Interesting idea and very flexable. I like the fork attachment. The only down side I see is the cost of weights. If you have a small tractor and use suitcase weights now it should work great.

Bill

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #18  
Interesting idea and very flexable. I like the fork attachment. The only down side I see is the cost of weights. If you have a small tractor and use suitcase weights now it should work great.

Bill

So all the creative energy can now be spent making weights in a configuration that hang on this. :)

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #19  
Some great ideas here.......I have a small tractor....needed some weight in back.....added ballast by taking an old washing machine tub....running a bar through it and filling it with rocks. The tub drains well because of all the holes.....guessing it weighs about 300 lbs. Easy to put on and remove. I don't do any pulling with it. Cheap solution to my problem. Don't have a picture.....good luck!:thumbsup:

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #20  
Speaking of flexibility, this one had the most options when I was looking, notice the receiver at the top.
P1300002.JPG P1300005.JPG

The Carry All on top.
P2100013.JPG P2100014.JPG

The Carry All on the bottom.
P2100005.JPG P2100008.JPG

They have one for suitcase weights.
More options here. OMNI Mfg LLC