Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,311  
If you don't glue the rectangular to round transition piece to the top of your soil pipe it is very easy to unscrew the downspout screws from the hangers and remove the downspout for a more direct access to the elbow in the ground...
Ron

I do this on mine. The adapters are not glued to the underground pipe, there's no pressure so they don't leak or come undone. When it's time to clean them I just pop the adapter off and can easily stick in a hose or snake. It is a cleaner look than the 'Y'. As a preventive measure I stick a hose down each one every spring, I've got gutter guards though and barely ever get anything inside the gutter or pipes.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,312  
Got a shot of the paint buckets. I don't know how they come up with those paint color names. :D

day87-5.jpg

I think they go to the ice cream store, liquor store, and the spice rack at the local supermarket to write down names for paint. They used to just buy a big box of 48 Crayolas, but they've exceeded the limits of that method long ago. Of course, those tints only mean something to the company that sells the paint. If you go into another paint store and ask for 'olive martini' or 'sorbet', they will look at you like you are goofy. I have a tint on my wellhouse called 'rocky coast' that's only available from a Sherwin-Williams paint store. The generic color is beige.:D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,313  
I blame Martha Stewart for all the paint color crap. :laughing:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,314  
I blame Martha Stewart for all the paint color crap. :laughing:

I like the color of your wooden privacy fence along the road. Is that beige or "rocky coast"?:D
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,315  
I like the color of your wooden privacy fence along the road. Is that beige or "rocky coast"?:D
Ron

It used to be Rocky Coast...it's faded to "just beige". :laughing:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,316  
I think they go to the ice cream store, liquor store, and the spice rack at the local supermarket to write down names for paint. .:D

And where do the ice cream manufacturers etc get the names for their new ice creams or liquor ?? They go look on the paint shelves .:)

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,317  

Jay,
Great looking property, and wow, so neat and well groomed.
I bet this is reflected in the work you do for your clients.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,318  

Jay:

I see you are having the same issue with your wooden entry gates as do most people - they warp like crazy over time. Even Peter has this problem at his own property (not the one being discussed here). The only solution I can think of is to have steel or aluminum entry gates on steel posts all wrapped in a wood facade. Does anybody have any better suggestions?
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,319  
I envision making the gates out of aluminum channel and welding them up like small walls - channel 16" on center. Attach them to sturdy metal posts and then using wood to match the fence to cover them with so as to make it look the same as the rest.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,320  

Jay,
Great looking property, and wow, so neat and well groomed.
I bet this is reflected in the work you do for your clients.
Ron

Thanks Ron, this was from 2010.

And Stu, yeah there is some "warpage", there is a metal frame on the backside of the gates, but the pressure treated wood has a mind of it's own once in awhile. You should have seen some of the pieces that I replaced a few weeks after the fence went up and it had a chance to totally dry in the sun...they looked like spaghetti. :laughing: