New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #2  
Looks interesting. 2014 will show if they can compete with Ford. I may just be a Ram buyer in 2014 if the can put the right mix of GVWR, tow rating, transmission, ect in a 3500 4x4 SRW package.

Chris

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #4  
I have to admit, it does look impressive. Even the fan is more like one in a big truck. I don't know that I could justify that kind of pulling capability these days what with my needs shrinking.

Just to fuel that flame going on in the other thread about the new Dodge's weight pulling capacity and license requirements, I thought I would post this quote from the article.

"We had the chance to tow several trailers weighing more than 28,000 pounds at Chrysler’s Proving Grounds in Chelsea, Mich. (it’s illegal to tow that kind of weight on public roads without a commercial driver’s license), and found it to be much easier than we expected."

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #5  
Like they haven't or can't :rolleyes:

In just the last two model years GM and Ram have caught up, can't argue that. This Ram looks impressive but the article basically stated don't buy this year and wait for next years, it will be better.

As of right now as in the past only Ford makes a truck for me. SRW 1 ton with 4000# payload. I need big GVWR and hate duallys.

So what I stated was I will be a Ram buyer if they offer the truck that fits my needs. They have came light years since my kast Dodge in 2005.

Chris

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit.
What I don't understand about these towing wars is this, why didn't we need this much truck 10, 15, 20+ years ago? Have trailers gotten heavier? Not from what be seen. Equipment built heavier and stronger? Nope. So what's the deal here?

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #7  
What I don't understand about these towing wars is this, why didn't we need this much truck 10, 15, 20+ years ago? Have trailers gotten heavier? Not from what be seen. Equipment built heavier and stronger? Nope. So what's the deal here?

Maybe people are buying more tractors to have to haul around:D

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #8  
from the article:
As noted, the 6.7-liter inline-six Cummins will come in three different flavors: Those optioned with the six-speed manual transmission will get the 350-horsepower engine with 660 pounds-feet of torque; the regular Chrysler 68RFE six-speed automatic transmission will be paired with the 370-hp Cummins offering 800 pounds-feet of torque; and the maximum towing package gets a brand-new six-speed automatic Aisin AS69RC matched with the high-output Cummins that is rated at 385 hp and a class-leading 850 pounds-feet of torque.

in 1974, i drove a kenworth w900 tractor with a cummins 335 turbo-charged engine. this cummins engine was rated, if i remember correctly, at 850 lb-ft of torque. so, not quite 40 years later, a pickup truck with 409 cubic inches (6.7 liters) has essentially the same power output as the 855 cubic inch cummins 335 that i used hauling 60,000 pounds of crude oil around central wyoming. pretty amazing.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #9  
Typical, I buy a 2012 2500 4X4 Cummins and now they are supposed to be making leaps and bounds over the next few years. I'm happy with my '12 though because some of those leaps are at the same time making the systems more complicated and probably much more prone to problems down the road.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #10  

Amen!

I don't get it either, with any of the top 3...they're just pickup trucks for gosh sake. Keep raising the GVW and pretty soon you'll hook up a single axle trailer and be in CDL range.

The new Ram is more complicated...cost more to run...two radiators?

As far as Ford goes...they did a bang-up job of turning their diesels into a worldwide joke. There's no running away from that. I'll stick with my old 7.3 until it dies and look for another one, or a 5.9 Cummins or a Duramax LBZ.