New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #11  
I never understood why Dodge can't sell trucks around here. There's more Tundra's driving down the road than Rams. It's like Dodge is missing something when it comes to getting people onto the lot or maybe it just that the Oval and Bowtie crowd just refuse to go there.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #12  
Your kenworth could do that for a million miles, the light truck motors can't run at high hp numbers all the time or their lifespan falls dramatically. Some couldn't live more than a an hour or less at peak output. Don't have the radiators to do that even.

from the article:

in 1974, i drove a kenworth w900 tractor with a cummins 335 turbo-charged engine. this cummins engine was rated, if i remember correctly, at 850 lb-ft of torque. so, not quite 40 years later, a pickup truck with 409 cubic inches (6.7 liters) has essentially the same power output as the 855 cubic inch cummins 335 that i used hauling 60,000 pounds of crude oil around central wyoming. pretty amazing.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #13  
It is called history. In the past their cars and trucks have been junk. I would guess it has taken them 10 years to get this this point. I would have never looked at a Dodge truck/car until the last4-5 years. Their cars and Heavy duty trucks are a world of difference than they were 10-15 years ago. Let the comments come, but that it just my opinion.

As for Toyota, I came from a Toyota family, would buy one in a heart beat.

Like I said history.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #14  
Very nice trucks. Won't be long before a fully loaded dually will have a list price of $90,000. My '12 F-450 pickup has a GCWR of 33,000#'s and has no problem handling a large load but I'm not sure I would want to try and handle a 30,000# trailer with a pickup, no matter how well it's equipped. If you're hauling that kind of load I think a medium duty truck is the better way to go. Much bigger brakes, tires and drivetrain.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #15  
are the big 3 all running variable geometry (vane) turbo's?

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #16  
I never understood why Dodge can't sell trucks around here. There's more Tundra's driving down the road than Rams. It's like Dodge is missing something when it comes to getting people onto the lot or maybe it just that the Oval and Bowtie crowd just refuse to go there.

Well, I'm not digging anyone, In fact I owned a ram years ago. In the salt belt, they rust. This is no secret up here. Look over the rear wheels and bottom of the doors on all 3 and the ram's are the ones rusted. I want to take a hard look at the new 1/2 ton diesel ram in the fall, but the rust issues are always in the back of my head.

The cummings engine is amazing. I've towed with all 3, let me tell you, on a long grade, the cummings is hard to beat. Everyone will argue thier own brand. I always said MY dream truck would be a chevy with the old 5.9 cummings..... Lol.....

Any opinions on how the new 1/2 ton ram diesel will do?

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit.
Well, I'm not digging anyone, In fact I owned a ram years ago. In the salt belt, they rust. This is no secret up here. Look over the rear wheels and bottom of the doors on all 3 and the ram's are the ones rusted. I want to take a hard look at the new 1/2 ton diesel ram in the fall, but the rust issues are always in the back of my head.

The cummings engine is amazing. I've towed with all 3, let me tell you, on a long grade, the cummings is hard to beat. Everyone will argue thier own brand. I always said MY dream truck would be a chevy with the old 5.9 cummings..... Lol.....

Any opinions on how the new 1/2 ton ram diesel will do?

The fact that the 1500 diesel won't be a Cummins is enough to turn me off from it. Never been crazy about Fiat made vehicles or farm equipment.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #18  
Your kenworth could do that for a million miles, the light truck motors can't run at high hp numbers all the time or their lifespan falls dramatically. Some couldn't live more than a an hour or less at peak output. Don't have the radiators to do that even.
there is no question that the heavy duty truck engine is designed for longevity and duty cycle in a way that the pickup engine is not. there is also no question that the price differential between the two engines is very large. all i was saying is that the sheer power output of the newer pickup engines is quite remarkable.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #19  
The fact that the 1500 diesel won't be a Cummins is enough to turn me off from it. Never been crazy about Fiat made vehicles or farm equipment.

I know VM Motori were owned in the past by Detroit Diesel, Daimler, and Penske. I don't think Fiat entered the equation until 2010 or 2011? From what I read the engine appears to be of sound design, putting out over 400 ft lbs of torque and has a good emmision rating, without the urea nightmare (I think)???

Cummings engines ARE solid. Can't argue that. Many in Case IH tractors around here.

/ New Ram HD's look like they'll be a hit. #20  

The local dealer here sells quite a few Rams. It's a good dealership, which helps. The Ford dealership across the street from him has been going downhill since it changed hands a couple years back.