Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #71  
Those beams look incredible. I really like the rough look of them and being able to see where they cut it to make it square. The notches for the joists are just perfect looking. It's really amazing that they are in such good shape. Do you know what the wood type is? and where they sitting on the ground for all those years or elevated?

Eddie

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder
Those beams look incredible. I really like the rough look of them and being able to see where they cut it to make it square. The notches for the joists are just perfect looking. It's really amazing that they are in such good shape. Do you know what the wood type is? and where they sitting on the ground for all those years or elevated?

Eddie

I originally thought the timbers were resting on the ground which is why I figured they would be rotted. Looks like they are actually sitting on some square stone blocks. A lot of the notches and cuts are really neat to see on this building, especially since they were done without power tools. Not sure yet what type of wood it is.

I'm hitting the home stretch with my business as we approach July 4th so I doubt if I have time to get back out for the next 3 weeks. I'll post some more pictures once I get a chance to start working on it again.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #73  
It's nice when history like that gets preserved. The amount of work that went into them is amazing.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #74  
I keep looking at all the timber framing from your barn and think of all the decorative work you could do with those joints if incorporated as architectural features or maybe even furnishings like tables, lamps, desks.

Also, I had Silestone countertops installed in my kitchen back in 2002 when the company was not well known. I've been thrilled with the performance of that material and its seal is far superior to granite. One of the new features they've added is that they can mold in a kitchen sink of the same material right into the countertop. Their colors range from traditional that looks like granite to marble and even metallic patterns. The countertops come with a 15 year guarantee.

Jim,

I'll take a look at the Silestone countertops - thanks. As far as the old barn I'm really hoping we can use some of this as accent pieces in the new home as you suggested. The build date getting pushed back will give me a little more time to work on salvaging what I can from it and planning for its use.

Jeremy

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #76  
Once a client tore down an old cabin and we built her a new, to modern specs, house.
She wanted to incorporate as much of the old place for nostalgic reasons.
Not much of the old place could be used, however there had been some old hand hewed beams that we'd salvaged.
I had the salvaged beams ripped at a sawmill into 5/8 X 3" strips and used the strips to trim out the windows and doors. The look was very nice and added that rugged country look without being overbearing.
Just a thought.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #78  

Is Silestone similar to Corian?

No, Silestone is a silica glass (quartz) composite material. It is completely sealed just by the nature of the bonding resin and silica glass. You can cut right on the surface without doing any damage or marking it. The silica also transfers heat so well you can sit a hot pan directly on it without doing damage. It's just easy to maintain and durable while being a completely sealed hard-as-glass surface. When I installed mine, it was similar in price to Corian and a bit cheaper than granite.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #79  
Sorry to hear about the time setback. Those old timbers are amazing. It's pretty mind-boggling to think about the amount of physical work that went into placing them, it's great that you could save 'em.

Pictures 47-52

Excavation for the basement started a few days ago. Concrete forms should get set this week. Nothing real exciting about pictures of a hole in the ground but it was exciting for us to see the start of the build. The kids had a blast playing on the dirt piles.

Here's a view looking toward the front of the house.

One more looking from the front of the house back. We laid gravel for the remaining 700' of driveway last week.

Here's the small pond we had dug out a couple of years ago. It's downhill about 200 yards from where the house will be. I think once we do a little work to divert some runoff we should be able to get it completely filled.