Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #11  
Kioti is owned by Daedong equipment and how long does it take to hook up a Snow blower and do you have to crawl on the floor to install it?
Chances are 100% considering the 'front nount' blower would be operated from the mid-mount PTO, and that is only accessible from underneath on the CS2410............which is what the OP appears to be looking at as far as size.

That wouldn't be any different than the other brands mentioned in this thread.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #12  
I would have had the Kubota, but for 2 problems(IMHO) 1) was the brake, which they switched to the left side........a very good thing IMHO, and 2) the full floating deck............Kubota recommends that you don't allow the wheels to touch the ground, and depending on your ground/yard............that could be a bad thing. A friend of mine isn't happy with his at all.

Sounds like your friend does not have the gauge wheels adjusted properly.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #13  
Sounds like your friend does not have the gauge wheels adjusted properly.
He claims that the gauge wheels are not supposed to touch the ground. :confused3: So his deck floats, and makes an uneven cut on his bumpy yard.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #14  
He claims that the gauge wheels are not supposed to touch the ground. :confused3: So his deck floats, and makes an uneven cut on his bumpy yard.

You are supposed to have a 1/4" between the wheels. I don't own a level peice of ground and mine cuts great.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #15  
Three years ago, when I moved to my house with 3 acres and a big driveway, my wife and I bought a Deere X320. See thread here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-lawn-garden/171486-best-deere-my-2-acre.html

We also bought a 30" Troy Bilt snow blower from Lowe's to do the driveway.

Well fast forward to now. I have the following issues with the equipment:
  • The X320 does the job, but man does it take a long time. I'm at ~2 hours to cut the lawn. We now have a 1 year old in the house and I would rather spend time with her than cut grass.
  • The snow blower is atrociously slow. It is frustrating to work with and does not do well in deep snow. Takes a good amount of time; see previous comment about the little girl.

My initial instinct was to go for a ZTR with a bigger deck, and get a plow contract for the snow (with the blower for backup when the plow guy doesn't show). But, lately I have been looking at sub compact tractors instead.

I'm looking at two classes of tractor: the Deere X7xx series, and the Deere 1 series/Kubota BX/Mahindra/Kioti equivilants. Probably with at least a 54" deck, and maybe a blade also.

Is this overkill, or does it sound about right for the job?

Also, any insights on the import tractors (Mahindra and Kioti) in terms of cost/features set vs Deere? For full disclosure, I have dealers for all of these brands within 30 minutes of my house (Kubota and Deere are the closest, the Kubota guy is so close I could drive to my house haha).

I recommend you look at the Deere x758 with 54" snowblower and 60" deck. Perfect for what you describe imo. I have an x749 I am very satisfied with.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger
And to the OP.......You didn't mention Massey Ferguson. I love mine, dunno if there is a dealer close to you or not. Try them all, cause they are basically the same, it's just that the ergonomics of one might be better for you than the others.

I would have had the Kubota, but for 2 problems(IMHO) 1) was the brake, which they switched to the left side........a very good thing IMHO, and 2) the full floating deck............Kubota recommends that you don't allow the wheels to touch the ground, and depending on your ground/yard............that could be a bad thing. A friend of mine isn't happy with his at all.

Yes, I didn't think about them. DOH. Anyway the Massey Ferguson dealer is the same as the Kioti dealer, so I will check them out too. They sell a bunch of stuff and are the one of the biggest on the east coast for heavy equipment (American Equipment, LLC in Farmington, NY).

I recommend you look at the Deere x758 with 54" snowblower and 60" deck. Perfect for what you describe imo. I have an x749 I am very satisfied with.

I thought about that, but when I started pricing them I noticed they go for as much as the compact tractors so I discounted it. Any reason one is better than the others?

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #17  
What is the general color of mowers you see in your area?? I wonder why?? In my area it's "green" 4 to 1.

While you're at it, get out of the lawn tractor business and step up to a SCUT. Lot's more versatility later on when your needs grow,,,, as they will..... :)

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #18  
I got the X300 with the house (2.5 acres overall, 2 acres pasture) and upgrading to B2320 was one of the better moves I've made. I just bush hog the pasture now and then but it is painless and fast with the Kubota. This thing has proven so useful for so many other things with the FEL etc. that is like having an additional family member that is willing to work, does not complain, and has no issues. I am not saying the B2320 is the best choice for your situation but upgrading has been a total win. I still use the X300 around the house but if one ever had to go, it would be that little green mower, not because of the color, but 'cause it just can't do so much. Wish I had gotten the orange backhoe but I am making-do.

The mower is a decent little machine but it's just a mower. If you're into projects or they get into you, a tractor is just about the coolest thing, ever.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #19  
What one guy or gal may see as a need andother may see as overkill. Everyone has different needs, wants, or even perception. Wifey is a farm girl and refers to my "L3200 as a "garden tractor". Last year about this time we bought an L3200 / HST / FEL / R4 / 6' Landpride RFM to replace a B7500. At that time we owned a little over 2 acres. Since then we picked up another 1-1/3 or so acres along the east side of our property. Sill need to grade and plant that in grass. It takes me an hour to mow 2 acres with the new rig, which is about a 20 minute improvement over the 5 footer on the B. The new tractor walks around uphill and down with the 6' deck in 3rd range. The loader picks up anything I need to move and there are more than enough horses to make the wheels spin on dry ground if I try to drag something that is bolted to the center of the earth. Perfect for me.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #20  
I thought about that, but when I started pricing them I noticed they go for as much as the compact tractors so I discounted it. Any reason one is better than the others?

I suggested the x758 because I think it is better for mowing. Often the people with the subcompacts feel the low range is too slow and the high range is too fast for mowing. The 0 to 8.5mph single range hydro works well on the 700 series. Now if you want a fel then the 1000 series is a better choice, both the x700 series and the 1000 series are poor choices if you need a real larger tractor. Be careful what you choose and pick according to your needs, I suggested the x758 because it met the uses you described. Good luck with it.