Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger
I'm not attached to the manual idea at all really, and I do understand why the hydrostatic is popular. The same reason automatics are popular in cars - ease of use, and the fact that most people have no clue how to work a clutch. :) I only mentioned it because I'm used to working a manual and figured it would give a bit better control over the ground speed. A few of the Kiotis do come in gear drive but that's about it.

I'm going to talk to the Kioti/MF dealer today after work, and I have emails out to the Kubota and JD guys as well.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #32  
I only mentioned it because I'm used to working a manual and figured it would give a bit better control over the ground speed.

You have that backwards. You have way better control of speed with a hydro. If you are running a gear tractor at 540 PTO RPM you are stuck with one speed. With a hydro you have anything from nothing to full speed ahead.

Kubota and JD have gear tractors.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #33  
I'm personally partial to green, but that's not what prompted me to chime in.

I've been to Rochester in the winter. I would think seriously in terms of a front mounted blower rather than a blade...or maybe both. The blade is great for dinky little October snows...but you don't want to try and move a lake effect 3 footer with a blade.

JD makes a very nice blade to fit on the FEL for the 1XXX, there are a couple of blower options, and what would tip the scales for me is the drive over deck. If I could swing the money, I'd trade my 455 for a 1026 to get that deck. They have it for the X7XX, too, but the price difference between the X7XX and the 1XXX makes the 1XXX very appealing.

I've only been here for 13 years, but I have heard from several lifetimers that we just dont' get the snow we used to and the snow we have the reputation for. I can think of precisely one time this past winter when I had a beast of a time clearing my driveway - and even that was only because I let the snow go for 18 hours since I was so sick I couldn't even get off the couch.Every other time, though, I was able to keep up and do it every 4-6 inches at a time.

Regarding the FEL vs the blade...the sales guy yesterday did his job and sold me on the FEL. He said you can use it for just about anything and that the cost to get it later would be very high. So based on that I'm going with the FEL.

I still need to call the Kubota guy back and haven't heard from the JD dealer.

The MF/Kioti dealer priced me right around $17000 with a loader and 60 inch deck. The MF was a GC1700, and the Kioti was a CS2410. Does that sound about right for this class of tractor?

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #36  
You have that backwards. You have way better control of speed with a hydro. If you are running a gear tractor at 540 PTO RPM you are stuck with one speed. With a hydro you have anything from nothing to full speed ahead.

Kubota and JD have gear tractors.

But with long use of a hydro for a few hours gives you a sore foot. Pushing down all day. I prefer gears much more. If you are working the PTO, you can always choose a different gear. :eek:

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #37  
But with long use of a hydro for a few hours gives you a sore foot. Pushing down all day. I prefer gears much more. If you are working the PTO, you can always choose a different gear. :eek:

What are you wearing, flip flops? Hydro tractors do have cruise. Usaully with gear tractor (mostly compacts) one gear is to slow and the next one is too fast.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #38  
What are you wearing, flip flops? Hydro tractors do have cruise. Usaully with gear tractor (mostly compacts) one gear is to slow and the next one is too fast.

:laughing:

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #39  

No I don't wear flip flops. I set my self up for that one :laughing:

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #40  
(the smaller) McCormick tractors also have the Kioti engines