Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,801  
Here is a picture of one of my horse shot just before sunset.. This horse name is "smoke" sure miss him.. but the old saying.. money speaks louder than feeding a horse all winter.:confused:. or something like that.:). Lou

View attachment 338013

My last horse was a dappled grey mare named Smoky. But of course, it's been 58 years since I had a horse.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,802  
GOOD BOOZE?!?! Only Lou drinks the good stuff. I drink the cheap stuff. Lou and I agree on one thing though, have to stay stocked up, so they don't send us to meetings! :laughing:

FG-- Out here in East Texas you sure don't want to run out, 'cause here in the Bible Belt it can be a long way to the Liquor or beer store, so we try to plan ahead. When heading back from the big city it's a good idea to stock up. Some more places are going wet so the shortest round trip for beer & wine is now 28 miles. Even farther for some Scotch or JD. So it's best to keep some back-up medicinal product in case of snake bite.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,803  
talking about that yummy food.

Kyle,
My wife informed me at lunch that the real secret to making good pie crusts, biscuits, etc. is keeping the grease cold and cutting it in with a pastry cutter till it is like little peas.
She said before 5-6 years ago Crisco was hard as a rock at room temperature. She still put chunks of ice in the cup with it to make it cold. Since water and grease don't mix, as the ice melted and brought the grease down to a low temperature for cutting in, she just poured off the water from the melted ice and cut the grease into the dry flower with a pastry cutter.
When Crisco changed the formula/process to make it soft and get rid of the hydrogenation process, there is no way to make it really hard by using ice. It remains soft even with ice in it. ( Try it).
So she started storing the unused Crisco in the frig to at least make it cold for cutting in and adjusted her recipes accordingly.
Crisco is all vegetable oils. The only bad one is some amount of Palm oil, which they don't reveal.
The polyunsaturated 6 grams and the Monounsaturated 2.5 grams is actually said to be beneficial to human hearts according to many medical theories. The truth about fats: bad and good
The theories change before the ink is dry, depending on who is selling what.

My theory, and I am not a doctor, but my doctor is amazed at my blood work every 6 months, is to eat in moderation, have a well balanced diet, and get some exercise. I use a home treadmill in the winter and am out doing
real physical work in the other seasons.
I don't follow my theory to the letter, but like rain, it averages out. The scales say it all.:D

Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,804  
FG, I didn't drink till I retired,, Now I don't have a lot to do but set and watch the leaves fall off of a tree in the afternoon.. I don't go to bar, unless I am in Vegas.. then I can walk to it and walk back,, maybe.. I like Scotch.. but some people have told me that, that's the last thing they would drink,, I guess a good whiskey or scotch or wine or beer is one you like,, So I guess I am like Will Roger,, I Never tasted one I didn't like,, Will was talking about men..hum I wonder,,

Yea Ron that is my avatar.. Smoke,, If y'all keep talking about biscuits.. I may put one of those as my avatar..

Bird I got one horse left on the farm,, I use her to round up some cows every now and then.. but she getting to fast for me.. most time she going right and I am leaning left.. it's the easiest way I found to get cows out of the trees.. other than getting someone else to do it for you..

Charlie I will drank to that.. I keep me a bag of snakes just in case I need a drink.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,805  
Native; My area was dry when I first moved here. One could go 18 miles to get beer or wine, or go 30 miles in the other direction to get to a liquor store for anything else. I learned to stock up then!

Lou; I actually do skip drinking several days in a row, sometimes, but it is usually that I am too tired to bother pouring it. I have had nights that I get home, and pour a glass, and then have no energy to drink it, so put it back for later. I have more time indoors at home in the winter, so drink more, and a larger variety of stuff then. I love my booze, but sometimes, work gets in the way of my fun.

On another note; I didn't even get online yesterday, and have done very little online today, but received a notice a few minutes ago that I had a post pulled, for being inappropriate. Everything I remember posting today is still there. :confused3:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,806  
Weather looks great this week, Houston bound, so maybe get something done:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,807  
farmgirl19;3476864[B said:
Lou; [/B] I actually do skip drinking several days in a row, sometimes, but it is usually that I am too tired to bother pouring it. I have had nights that I get home, and pour a glass, and then have no energy to drink it, so put it back for later. I have more time indoors at home in the winter, so drink more, and a larger variety of stuff then. I love my booze, but sometimes, work gets in the way of my fun. QUOTE]

That's because you're not a pro yet.. Unlike myself,:confused:, I pace myself and save up the energy during the day.. I only have one real job that is watching trees and listen to music on the patio,, Talking about work it's getting close to leaf falling time.. All of my trees are trained.. They need my approval before they can drop a leaf.:shocked:. Dropping here boss,:cool:, go ahead.:confused:. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,808  
:laughing:
Brandi, first you talk of you and FG meeting then you show pics of cows????

Kyle,
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Your the only one that caught that. Yes, I met Farmgirl19 yesterday. Yes, we took photos. No, those photos of the Longhorns are in fact.............Longhorns and not us.:D The photos FG and I took yesterday are in for special processing and handling. Your gonna have to wait to see them.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,809  
On another note; I didn't even get online yesterday, and have done very little online today, but received a notice a few minutes ago that I had a post pulled, for being inappropriate. Everything I remember posting today is still there. :confused3:

FG,
Must be that darn chit chattin' thread.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,810  
Actually, I am one of those cows! :shocked: