Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor?

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #11  
Old man has a washing machine that doesn't work, so he calls repair man. Repairman shows up, looks at it for 5 minutes, and kicks it. Washing machine starts right up. Repair man hands old guy a bill for $100. Old man says he wants an itemized bill because he doesn't see why so much. "Kicking washing machine =$5; knowing where to kick it=$95"

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #12  
farm call here is 75-100$ for local, plus 35-50$ an hour for labor.. plus supplies.

In that cost range , I'd NEVER patcha tube. i'd spend the 15-50$ for a new tube.

then again.. I'm cheap.. I do my own tires. :)

I had a rear flat tire the other day on my Case backhoe , so I call the garage to come and fix it. He came over and took the wheel of and brought it at the shop and repatch the tube and returned and installed the tire.
The bill came to 275.$ wich was mostly labour ,( 3 hours), I live about 2 miles from his shop.
In order to make 275. clear , I had to work 2 and 1/2 days, that's when I was working, now that I am retired it is almost a full week of my pension.

Is there something I don't get here, why is it so expensive for a tractor mechanic to work on my tractor, like 80. $ /hour, he works out of his shop, with no big overhead, no big investment, he didn't go to university.

He does something that I cannot do myself , due to lack of the equipment. I do most of my smaller repairs.

I guest, it would be easier if I was making money with my tractor , but I am not.

Last week , I sold the backhoe, cause I cannot afford any other repairs like this one.

The same garage quoted me $ 600. + labor( +300.) , to change a rim on my John Deere 2030 that is rusted at the stem and leaking badly. Close to 1000. $

Will I have to sale my tractor to ? , it is getting very expensive to own old tractors.

I guess I feel better now.:cool2::cool2::cool2:

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #13  
Old man has a washing machine that doesn't work, so he calls repair man. Repairman shows up, looks at it for 5 minutes, and kicks it. Washing machine starts right up. Repair man hands old guy a bill for $100. Old man says he wants an itemized bill because he doesn't see why so much. "Kicking washing machine =$5; knowing where to kick it=$95"

Exactly, there comes a point in a mechanics career where he starts getting paid more for what he knows than what he does.

As far as overhead, being an independent mobile equipment mechanic in can tell you the overhead is steep. Nobody gave me the $150,000+ worth of tools and equipment I roll down the road with. Not to mention the truck, associated maintenance and fuel costs. For every hour I bill at $100/hr there is another hour of work behind the scenes, ordering parts, picking up parts, doing paperwork, etc. Then start deducting tools, fuel, maintenance, insurance, taxes, there isn't much left. Oh and don't forget chasing customers to get paid who are also waiting to get paid. Some days it's getting paid from one job to buy the parts for the next job.

Brian

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #14  
Changing a rear tractor requires special equipment to pump fluid, break the beads and it is not inexpensive. There are not many men in that business around here because so much physical labor is involved and the bad weather environment they are usually required to work in. Ken Sweet

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #15  
A GOOD mechanic is worth his money, but I have found that I can screw up my own truck for half the price the dealer/chain shop will charge to screw the same repair up. I had a non english speaking shade tree guy fix some electrical problems in a 95 dakota that had the dodge dealer stumped for a week. The small guy charged me $50 labor, $5 for wire splices, and told me he would change fuel filter for free if I would stop and pick it up. The dealer had replaced hundreds of dollars worth of parts. Tires Plus, in Gainesville fl actually beat a torx head bit into an allen caliper bolt, and put it back in. That was fun trying to get back out....

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #16  
Changing a rear tractor requires special equipment to pump fluid, break the beads and it is not inexpensive. There are not many men in that business around here because so much physical labor is involved and the bad weather environment they are usually required to work in. Ken Sweet

drill pump, tubing and a drum.. have done it plenty on the farm.

tire hammer makes a good bead breaker.. somtimes a 2x4 is needed as well. that and a few irons and or spoons...

I keep telling myself I'm gonna stop messing with them and become less cheap. each time i still drag out the spoons and hammers though.. :)

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #17  
Problem with labor rates is that your not just paying the mans paycheck, your paying for his investment in equipment, his shop cost, his travel, his materials... While his labor is a big chunk of the labor cost, the overhead on that cost pays the bills to keep his shop open so hes there when you need him. People go out of business when they can't charge enough on labor to pay for all those "other" costs. As a management consultant, I get hired to see "why am I loosing money" all the time. The biggest cause is that folks forget to include all those "little things" in their labor rate. These things cost money and if your not charging for them your loosing money. You can only loose so much money before you have to go out of business.

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #18  
yep.. overhead....

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #19  
Problem with labor rates is that your not just paying the mans paycheck, your paying for his investment in equipment, his shop cost, his travel, his materials... While his labor is a big chunk of the labor cost, the overhead on that cost pays the bills to keep his shop open so hes there when you need him. People go out of business when they can't charge enough on labor to pay for all those "other" costs. As a management consultant, I get hired to see "why am I loosing money" all the time. The biggest cause is that folks forget to include all those "little things" in their labor rate. These things cost money and if your not charging for them your loosing money. You can only loose so much money before you have to go out of business.

You bring a valid point. For example, has anyone ever noticed the computer in the patients rooms in hospitals. These are used to keep the nurses from forgetting all those little things charges associated with patient care. Ken Sweet

/ Why does it cost so much to repair a tractor? #20  
. Nobody gave me the $150,000+ worth of tools and equipment I roll down the road with. Not to mention the truck, associated maintenance and fuel costs. Brian

Brian
I'm curious what type of company you work for or type of equipment you repair that requires $150,000 + worth of tools & equip. and that doesn't even include a truck???? Thanks,Jim