Cheaper oil filters

/ Cheaper oil filters #1  

hal2001

Tractor
Kubota b7800
Just an FYI for those of us not fanatical about only using Kubota branded oil filters. Several years ago I was grousing about the fact that the oil filter price had risen from$5 to $12 when I noticed a 4 digit number on the filter that looked familiar. Sure enough it was the same filter number from my 1995 Saturn station wagon. It's an identical filter made by Fram. Since I change the oil and filter at half the suggested interval, the savings are about a wash, but I just think the dealer overprices things like that. Don't know if this would hold true for all brands but it's worth a try. 600 hours later...no problems. Changing the oil and filter more often than recommended is something I've done with all my vehicles for 50 years and have never had even one internal motor problem. And I usually put at least 150k on all the vehicles I've owned.

/ Cheaper oil filters #2  
Changing the oil and filter more often than recommended is something I've done with all my vehicles for 50 years and have never had even one internal motor problem.

To each his/her own,but it sure sounds like you're wasting a lot of oil time & $$$ doing this. I change my oil long after the recommended oil change mileage has passed and, I,ve never had an engine failure

/ Cheaper oil filters #3  
At least buy a decent filter....fram is absolute garbage..I wouldn't put that filter on anything I or my friends family or customers own...

/ Cheaper oil filters #4  
Happen to like fram and use them on many things. But given that most people change there oil once a year why not buy what is reccomended? I put about 400 hrs per year on my units and change the oil every 100 hrs. I use the OEM filters and trans oil with castrol engine oil. Put 11,000 hrs (thats right eleven thousand hours) on my 1983 B6100 before replacing it and feel that giving my essential units (2005 B7510, 2300 hrs; 2010 L 3400 hst, 1160hrs) the suggested protection is money in the bank. I can't afford to have one of these units down between May and November. It's not about the cost of repair but rather the lack of use of the unit that has caused me to make this choice. History says the protection of the OEM filters work so I'm not prepared to risk failure to save a couple of bucks!

/ Cheaper oil filters #6  
At least buy a decent filter....fram is absolute garbage..I wouldn't put that filter on anything I or my friends family or customers own...

I agree, I would step up to a better filter. A wix filter would not be much more than a fram.

/ Cheaper oil filters #8  
As has been discussed many times here Fram makes 3 grades of filters at 3 price points. $3, $6, & $9. The last two rank among the best in many test beating out many $20 filters.

Chris

/ Cheaper oil filters #9  
Which of those 3 grades compare to Donaldson, Fleet guard, napa gold (wix)

/ Cheaper oil filters #10  
I used to be an oil change fanatic but have now evolved in my thinking. Using a good oil filter and synthetic oil and going the distance is really just fine. In my trucks, for example I now go maybe 7,500 miles and while I still feel a little guilty It's really OK. There is no harm and numerous tests verify it. Just my two cents.