Looking for best cordless drill to purchase

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #1  

JD 4520

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520
I am looking for a new cordless drill as my last one has lasted over ten years with some pretty good use. I am looking for a middle to high grade. I'm not a contractor but generally use a drill on a weekly basis and want something that will last ten years or more, handle the load and demand of average to above average shop use.

What is your experience and recommedations?

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #2  
12 volt class or 18v? There's also 20v with Dewalt. Hammer mode or just a drill driver? Hex drivers and Impacts are popular now too. What's also new are brushless motors...but more expensive though. Milwaukee tools come with 5 year warranty's, Hitachi offers a lifetime warranty, Dewalt and Makita are 3 year. Rigid is also 3 year with a lifetime service agreement free batteries for life of the product. Of course there are other brands like Bosc and Porter Cable. Many great deals being advertised for the holidays. I just picked up some of the Milwaukeee 12v options. My first lithiums. I still use Nmh Makita in both 12 and 18v. Have had them for a long time. Makita's LXT 18v series is what I really like! We have some Hitachi 12v drills at work.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #3  

I would say to pick the one with the features you want and go get it. Most name brand modern manufactured cordless drills are of good quality and may be made at the same manufacturing facility. Back a few years ago, I was the director of quality at a very large company and a member of a quality management association that toured facilities to grade them on best practices for awards the association gave out yearly. I was supprised to see that one hand tool manufacturing plant we visited had Milwaukee tools, Porter Cable and Black and Decker on the same manufacturing line. BTW- they won best in manufacturting process quality almost every year and I have many Porter Cable products (my wife gets me a new cordless tool every Christmas), but I may be biased. I would have no problems buying another brand if it had the features I wanted, but being able to use the same bateries is nice.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #4  
most are made in China so zero difference I would by German made if available

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #5  
I have had good luck with Ryobi. Yes I know it is low end but my original is still going after about 25 years. It had went thru several battery packs. I would highly recommend something with lithium batterys as they seem to last much longer in all respects and do not self discharge like nicad and NiMh. I have one DeWalt now inoperative, the batteries are too expensive and I am not convinced the drill is any better. I also have a Rockwell thrill and though I would not have bought it myself, I must admit it is a good little tool. It is lightweight and powerful.

James K0UA

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #6  
I am looking for a new cordless drill as my last one has lasted over ten years with some pretty good use. I am looking for a middle to high grade. I'm not a contractor but generally use a drill on a weekly basis and want something that will last ten years or more, handle the load and demand of average to above average shop use.

I think a lot of the trades use Dewalt so they can exchange batteries on the worksite - not my profession so I really don't know. For home use, you do not have this restriction. Likely as one person said you should stick to one brand and go with it for battery commonality?

I am partial to Makita as they have been around for awhile and have large repair centres. This is important to me for some reason. Support is good.

Most John Deere guys lean towards Hitachi - they make John Deere electrical tools. I just bought a Hitachi cut off saw. They are really good as well.

When I look at Consumer Report, they rate cordless drills as follows:

-Hitachi DS18DSAL
-Makita LXFD01CW
-Ridgid R86008K

So, as a previous poster indicated, perhaps warranty should be taken into consideration. Based on the above, I would try for Hitachi. Way I feel my future is going as much as I like Makita which I still would really like.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #7  
Agree about many of the brands being made in the same factory -- that was true even before production moved to China. My dad's spring company would sell parts used in about four brands produced in the same line (and that included Craftsman too). So I think they are all about the same in terms of production quality. Features and warranty set the brands apart.

I bought Ryobi years ago when I stumbled on a Black Friday sale at Home Depot, and have stuck with it since, replacing batteries every 4-5 years. Never had a single problem with the drills themselves. Two years ago, I found it was less expensive to buy a whole new kit than to simply buy new batteries, so now I have two 18V drills, an 18V impact driver, and an 18V jig saw that all share batteries. All have been great.

The latest kit came with LiIon (lithium-ion) batteries, and they are so much better than the older NiMH batteries. They are smaller and lighter, and hold a charge longer.

If there is a downside to the LiIon batteries, it's that they go strong and then quit suddenly when they need a charge. Older batteries would gradually slow down and you could tell when it was time to plug them in. I was hanging off the side of a 35' bank building stairs for my dock recently, and found it annoying when the LiIon batteries would quit minutes after I just shimmied down the rope.... I got in the habit of charging and rotating more frequently, before they died, just so I wasn't making extra trips. For that project, I was driving thousands of 3" and 4" timber screws, and the impact driver was a lifesaver.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #8  
as one person said you should stick to one brand and go with it for battery commonality?

One of the things that will keep me with Makita is that I can get an adapter to use the new 18v lithium batteries on my old stuff. And I think with Ryobi 18v you can use their lithium battery in any previous tool. Maybe with some other brands you can do that that too I don't know.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #9  
Agree about many of the brands being made in the same factory -- that was true even before production moved to China. My dad's spring company would sell parts used in about four brands produced in the same line (and that included Craftsman too). So I think they are all about the same in terms of production quality. Features and warranty set the brands apart.

I bought Ryobi years ago when I stumbled on a Black Friday sale at Home Depot, and have stuck with it since, replacing batteries every 4-5 years. Never had a single problem with the drills themselves. Two years ago, I found it was less expensive to buy a whole new kit than to simply buy new batteries, so now I have two 18V drills, an 18V impact driver, and an 18V jig saw that all share batteries. All have been great.

The latest kit came with LiIon (lithium-ion) batteries, and they are so much better than the older NiMH batteries. They are smaller and lighter, and hold a charge longer.

If there is a downside to the LiIon batteries, it's that they go strong and then quit suddenly when they need a charge. Older batteries would gradually slow down and you could tell when it was time to plug them in. I was hanging off the side of a 35' bank building stairs for my dock recently, and found it annoying when the LiIon batteries would quit minutes after I just shimmied down the rope.... I got in the habit of charging and rotating more frequently, before they died, just so I wasn't making extra trips. For that project, I was driving thousands of 3" and 4" timber screws, and the impact driver was a lifesaver.

I have that 18 volt Ryobi impact too and let me tell you that thing is the cats meow for driving big deck screws and disassembly of machine nuts and bolts. I share the batteries across several Ryobi tools

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #10