Search engine

/ Search engine #11  
AVG used to be great, but be careful now. They've lost some of their integrity and allow all sorts of crap to download with your anti-virus. I'm an IT guy and when a colleague suggested an AVG download to solve a problem I took the advice but unfortunately since I had not had any troubles with them in the past I did not take time to read all the verbiage on each window and wound up with a potfull of crapware. Tried and tried to remove it all, but couldn't get it all out. Bits and pieces left on the machine reloaded apps I had removed. Eventually I just wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Win7 and all the other programs required by my job. Microsoft's malware removal tool works fine keeping me safe on my home machines and no worries about crapware getting loaded. My $0.02

PH

I don't disagree with their hawking some other stuff that if one isn't wary might cause some grief; on the other hand didn't you justly describe why that happened to you? Quote:...I took the advice but unfortunately since I had not had any troubles with them in the past I did not take time to read all the verbiage on each window and wound up with a potfull of crapware." And being an IT guy shouldn't that be the first thing you do to prevent additional stuff you don't want being loaded onto any pc?
I'm not looking to bruise you, only looking to help J_J get out of spyware he666.:confused3:
I'm not aware of any current better anti virus type software out there these days, unless one likes the bloatware of Norton or Mcafee :thumbsdown::yuck:

To J_J, have you considered you might have to slick your drive to get rid of what you currently have been plagued with? Often this is the last resort, but the only sane way of not busting your head open pounding it on the wall or desk in frustration...
just saying, if it is BROKE, then fix it...

/ Search engine
To answer your question, it is not broke, just an irritant , this is a big problem with a lot of people.

Some people think they know how Yahoo is getting in and switching, but no body seems to know how to avoid it.

I have tried all the tricks I know, but I think it will take a computer techie with a lot of savvy to fix it.

I have sent Google a bunch of trouble reports asking for help, but absolutely no answer back.

I am not even sure they know how to fix the problem.

When you download a program, how would you even know if some small malicious program,was piggybacked to it.

Yahoo may be a good search engine, but it should not be there if I don't want it there .

I have selected Google as my default search engine lots of times, but Yahoo knows how to circumvent the default setting.

An analogy might be you order apple pie, but when the order comes, it is blueberry because somebody wants you to have blueberry.

I simply delete the Yahoo search for a day, but it sneaks back in whenever.

Some sorry bastard is doing this Yahoo thing on purpose.

Although it might be good search engine, it is not what I want.

/ Search engine #13  
I totally get what you're saying. I get that to you it seems like just an irritant. What is happening is often the way hackers with malicious code get into vulnerable systems and then steal information like your bank info, credit cards, etc. They can also use your processors power to daisy chain hundreds or thousands of computers together to perform denial of service attacks on networks and banks, companies, etc.
If I were you I'd get someone really knowledgeable and have them see if it is possible to eradicate the malware from your pc, unlikely in many cases, and if not then slick the hard drive and start fresh. This is a common practice for many techs to slick a drive to get it back to square one instead of spending inordinate amounts of time trying to find lines of code that may be anywhere on your drive. It's obviously your choice as to what to do but it may be stealing your face while you go about your daily business. Trust me it's broke, but you don't have to fix it if you don't want to....

/ Search engine
About one month.

If I restored computer to about November do you think it would eliminate the problem.

If I change the settings back to Google Chrome and make that the default, the computer will hold in Google, but if I shut off Google and re-select Google it then reverts to Yahoo.

I have Malwarebytes, Spybot installed and sometimes it tells me something is trying to change the default, but it says it stopped it from changing. When I go look, Yahoo has changed the search engine and made it the default.

Last edited:
   / Search engine #17  
J.J.
I don't know how to fix the problem. The following might be a workaround: My tablet does certain things better with certain search engines so, I have icons for four on my desk top. They take me straight to the one I want to use for the task at hand. I don't think I have one set as default.

/ Search engine
I thought I had a bunch of restore points, but now all I have are recent.

I have restored several times this year. but those restore points and previous restore points do not show.

When you restore, does it wipe out the old restore points?

I have logged in and out of Google several times this morning and Yahoo did not show. I hope it is not a timed event.

Maybe that dump everything Yahoo fixed things.

/ Search engine #19  
Yes, hopefully that dump everything Yahoo took care of it.

On the restore note:
Normally, when you do a restore, it goes back to the date you choose. It should not wipe the previous restore points. It should also let you go forward, I believe.
Some malware infects the restore points. Once in there, the restore points are useless, as it just keeps restoring the infected system.
That's why everyone needs to be vigilant about anti-virus and anti-malware updates.

/ Search engine #20  
On a MAC, I would suggest you at least delete the Preferences (a little file in the system folder that holds the code to the settings in the program). I don't know enough about windows but if it has it...

The different choice would be to completely uninstall your browser, then re-install. You would loose your bookmarks but it might be the price to pay.

This assumes no viruses.