Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #651  
Well, with my usual luck . . . . I bought a new computer with Windows 8, which I upgraded to 8.1, because I figured chances were good that my old Windows 7 machine would soon become obsolete. And by the time I bought this Windows 8.1 machine, Windows 7 was no longer available.

And today . . . I got an e-mail from Hewlett-Packard that "Windows 7 is back by popular demand". They now offer both laptops and desktops new with Windows 7.:duh:

yep.. i saw that email too.

methinks too many unhappy with win 8.0 caused the backlash.

On the other hand. winxp survived a lot longer than i expected.. mostly due to netbook platforms using it.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #652  
when buying any computer you are better off getting one built by either a local geek or from a less known company on the internet. You can get the operating system you want and not have all the free trail and out dated software junk preloaded on it. The cost is the same just a few days longer waiting. Most all the paid programs have equivalents in the open source free programs that are actually better. Windows 8 is geared for phones and tablets it sucks on a PC stay with 7

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #653  
We have a small family owned PC company in our county. This weekend the posted on the count chat list that there were offering a service to install Windows 7 for people who have Windows 8 on their systems. :shocked: I suspect that means they are getting calls from people get Windows 8 off their systems.

I am back to using Windows 8 for a project at work. Still hate it. One thing that really pisses me off is why can't MS provide a desktop theme in the same colors as previous Windows? I can't stand these new colors they are using, heck one of them is puke yellow/brown. Who wants to look at that all day? The old colors I am used too and my eye easily parse windows with those colors. Unlike the high contrast themes. I don't like to modify systems that much since I like to have them as close to default as possible. I don't have time to play around with configuration settings so that the screen colors don't burn my eyes out yet I had to sit there and waste time twiddling with colors. :mad: This is such a simple thing for MS to provide but they literally stick you in the eyes with their bloody gawd awful themes.

When will Windows 9 ship? :laughing::laughing::laughing: Windows 8 is like Vista, except worse. :rolleyes: Much worse.

Later,
Dan

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #654  
when buying any computer you are better off getting one built by either a local geek or from a less known company on the internet. You can get the operating system you want and not have all the free trail and out dated software junk preloaded on it. The cost is the same just a few days longer waiting. Most all the paid programs have equivalents in the open source free programs that are actually better. Windows 8 is geared for phones and tablets it sucks on a PC stay with 7
On the other hand, you can also get the same ordering from the big companies and ordering business class machines. You wll also have an easier time finding drivers in 2-3 years when you need to reload Windows...

Aaron Z

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #655  
On the other hand, you can also get the same ordering from the big companies and ordering business class machines. You wll also have an easier time finding drivers in 2-3 years when you need to reload Windows...

Aaron Z

yep.. a new pc today.. even if loaded with win 7 from the retailer. should have better chance for drivers than an old machine someone is holding onto.

look at most new hardware coming out.. no xp drivers. heck.. some don't have vista. ;)

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #656  

Aaron Z
this is not an issue, the big companies use the exact same hardware and same soft ware.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #657  
this is not an issue, the big companies use the exact same hardware and same soft ware.
Having spent many hours trying to find updated XP drivers for motherboards in whitebox desktops, I will have to disagree.
Much faster and simpler to go to the big company website, punch in the serial and pick what drivers you need.
If you save $50 going with a whitebox and then have to spend 3 hours chasing down updated drivers when you need to rebuild Windows, you haven't saved anything.

Aaron Z

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #658  
this just in..... from yahoo today regarding HP's win 7

"The promotion reminded O'Donnell and others of the dark days of Windows Vista, when customers avoided Windows 7's predecessor and instead clamored for the older Windows XP on their new PCs. Then, customers who had heard mostly negative comments about Vista from friends, family and the media, decided they would rather work with the devil they knew rather than the new one they did not.

"It's not a perfect comparison," said O'Donnell, of equating Windows 8 with Vista, "but the perception of Windows 8 is negative. I said early on that Windows 8 could clearly be Vista Version 2, and that seems to have happened."

Others, both professional analysts and independent pundits, have linked Vista and Windows 8 on the flop-o-meter."

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #659  
When will Windows 9 ship? :laughing::laughing::laughing: Windows 8 is like Vista, except worse. :rolleyes: Much worse.

From the same Yahoo article:

"Compounding consumers' apparent aversion to immediately upgrade to the latest Windows OS, Microsoft is expected to release a major Windows overhaul next year. The software giant is said to leaning toward naming the new release Windows 9 to distance and differentiate it from Windows 8."

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #660  
You guys are gonna have the MAC buzzards back in here if you don't quit whining about windows 8.1 :D

My wife still loves it. I set it up to have the software she uses open in desktop mode and put some shortcut buttons in the taskbar.
The default desktop screen, right out of the box, is a nice even blue, with no icons or wallpaper themes on it.

I told her I could make the Metro background the same color and un-clutter the shortcut boxes in Metro, but she said don't bother.

Hers is a desktop computer with a regular monitor, not some silly little thing that you pinch, squeeze, swipe, and squint to see.
But it would connect to all that kind of stuff and act as one system if we wanted it too. That was the design purpose of W-8.
Before that everyone was complaining of multi system incompatibility. There will always be complainers and others who are users.
I'm sure we all have purchased vehicles and farm equipment that had features we didn't like. ( Look at the other forum posts):laughing:
We either learn to use them, avoid the part we don't like, or get rid of them. And yes, we complain about them too, including me; but the swallows just smile and keep grabbing bugs as we mow.