Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #641  
I got a Surface pro a week ago that came loaded with 8.1. I didn't want RT since that seams to be a crippled OS. I wasn't sure if I would like it but now that I'm getting a feel for it I like it more. I understand why M$ went to 8. The idea is that the Windows phone, tablet,s laptops, and desktops will all use the same software. Learn one and you know them all.

:thumbsup:

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #642  
After struggling with 8.0 for several months, my new laptop was diagnosed with a failing HD which was causing all the flakey activity, not the 8.0.
HD replaced under warranty and reloaded 8.0, then 8.1 and classic shell. Works like a dream. Smooth , fast, and solid with many options (apps) not available or hidden on my XP setup. Yesterday I bought a custom tower with 8.1. I'm in the process of loading it up. Everything has gone swimmingly so far. With 2 - 8.1 machines, they match up seamlessly, see each other and loading has been great. I'm a fan.

Steve - SouthIowa

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #643  
I just went to go delete a piece of software last night and was asked "Do you want to delete this from all your logged in computers and phones?" (something to that effect) And then watched it delete from my laptop while I watched from across the room :) Awesome...

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #644  
Many years ago, I heard that if a fellow had a watch, he knew what time it was, but if he had TWO watches, he was never sure because they were unlikely to show the same time, and I reckon that was probably true 50 years ago. But maybe a similar thing could be said about computers. Going back and forth between my old Windows 7 machine and the newer Windows 8.1, it seemed there were constant problems. I'd get one straightened out and the other would have problems.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking; that it's just me, and unfortunately, I'm sure you're right.:eek:

However, I figured the simplest solution, and a space saver, too, is to get rid of one of them. So I just finished boxing up the old desktop machine, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. I'm going to take it to a son-in-law, he'll format the hard drive, re-install Windows 7, and see if he can find someone who can use it.

And I've got lots more room here now.:)

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #645  
Well, with my usual luck . . . . I bought a new computer with Windows 8, which I upgraded to 8.1, because I figured chances were good that my old Windows 7 machine would soon become obsolete. And by the time I bought this Windows 8.1 machine, Windows 7 was no longer available.

And today . . . I got an e-mail from Hewlett-Packard that "Windows 7 is back by popular demand". They now offer both laptops and desktops new with Windows 7.:duh:

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #646  
Well, with my usual luck . . . . I bought a new computer with Windows 8, which I upgraded to 8.1, because I figured chances were good that my old Windows 7 machine would soon become obsolete. And by the time I bought this Windows 8.1 machine, Windows 7 was no longer available.

And today . . . I got an e-mail from Hewlett-Packard that "Windows 7 is back by popular demand". They now offer both laptops and desktops new with Windows 7.:duh:

well go figure. when i ordered my Lenovo laptop a few months back i was able to get the business model with win7 as standard. and it works great. glad i skipped win8.

i hear there trying to fast tract win9 now.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #647  

Bird,
You just have to run with both feet.:laughing:

Windows 9 code name "Threshold" will be announced in April for a release in early 2015.

Then you'll be 2 systems behind running W-7.

Me too.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #648  
It's likely there will be a general release of Windows 9 this spring...

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #649  

Bird received the same notice and since I had quit using this Win 8 or *.1 or what ever was some soft ware dream . And had gone back to a nc6000 then had a bad screen so plugged into a old monitor
M/s XL system been shut off since 1998 and the clock wouldn't go over into 2000. it spend several days updating the programs to get up to date. But then it was a stable system and works with out
flipping around having to locate where the screen was that I was typing on. All this to read on my screen that Win 7 will be again returned.
Maybe the whole group at M/S smoking on the wacky weed for a voice on high what top do." And got it."
Way back in this forum I had mentioned when we get older and telling of our life using the Win 8 it would be in
words not normally used.
Now wonder if this PCA-JNK could be traded in for another.
ken

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #650  

Just after telling my niece yesterday that the only place selling Win 7 laptops was Dell I got that very same email from HP also.

HP win 7.jpg