Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ?

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ? #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I just recieved a used floor model welder I bought on ebay for $109.99, free shipping via USPS to Fedex. The box was pretty beaten up, but that's not unexpected, so I open it. Inside, I notice the bottom corners of the welder are dented, and the amperage control knob is broken. I also find several broken pieces of black plastic in the packaging. It seems fairly obvious that the shipper dropped the box (57 lbs) at some point. I messaged seller, who to his credit said he would get with his shipping guy and confirm they sent it out in good condition. The shipping had no insurance.

I didn't have a 240v outlet that fits the plug (20 amp 240v plug; 2 hots and a ground), so I can't confirm if it works yet (getting breaker and such this afternoon to test it out).

The original add showed a box of rods and some cheesy torch goggles included, and said "contains all items pictured" but they did not come in package. The items not included are between me and the seller.

Who's job is it to fight with Fedex? Is that all on me? Is it the sellers responsibility till it arrives at my door? Am I SOL if it's not insured? Am I able to do a partial credit for the damage if it does work? The amperage knob can still be turned, the base of it is intact, but should I be stuck with less than I bought... right?

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ? #2  
I always thought shipping damage was the responsibility of the receiving end to file for. I would contact FedEx or whoever shipped it and file a damage report whether insured or not, they are responsible to handle responsibly. Document the condition of the package, the contents and pieces found in the bottom.

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ? #3  
We did some work at a Fed Ex terminal this fall . I find it hard to believe anything arrives in 1 piece . Conveyors , belts ,sorters , looked like a demo derby . Then the loaders crash it into the trailer and away they go . There was a gal spotting trailers and she was good . Some guy came out and read her the bible . She got out of the spotter and walked to the gate . Shift would change and you would see the actual sorting crew . No doubt your welder was damaged . Both UPS and FE will sell you insurance but it is worthless . There is an older thread about the UPS policy ,tis a joke .

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ? #4  
Shipping damage is on the eBay seller. I bought a telescope a few weeks ago and it came damaged in shipping. Seller refunded my money including initial shipping. I had to pay shipping back.

What to do if you have shipping problems

Remember, the seller is responsible for the item until it is in the buyer's possession. eBay protects buyers if items arrive damaged, and sellers should consider insuring their items to protect themselves against damage or loss.

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ?
Shipping damage is on the eBay seller. I bought a telescope a few weeks ago and it came damaged in shipping. Seller refunded my money including initial shipping. I had to pay shipping back.

What to do if you have shipping problems

Thanks, that is mostly good news. If it works tonight when I wire it, I would hate to pay to return it, so we will see...

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ? #6  
Thanks, that is mostly good news. If it works tonight when I wire it, I would hate to pay to return it, so we will see...
You may be able to work something out with the seller - maybe a partial refund to compensate for the damage and they send the rest of the accessories.

You may be able to work something out with the seller - maybe a partial refund to compensate for the damage and they send the rest of the accessories.

This is what I'm hoping. Seems like a waste to both parties for him to get back damaged goods, resell, and pay shipping again.

Guess I'm just a tad bit nervous buying online, and don't really know all the fine details of how it all works; heck I had to have my wife log in to pay for it....

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ? #8  
Did you sign for the package ?? If you signed for it, Look at the small print. It may read that you signed noting no damage to the package or item. If you signed for it .You may be SOL

Did you sign for the package ?? If you signed for it, Look at the small print. It may read that you signed noting no damage to the package or item. If you signed for it .You may be SOL

Nope, was left on the porch

/ Ebay, Fedex, and shipping damage ? #10  
I would contact FedEx, Paypal, Ebay