Wheel bearings

/ Wheel bearings #1  

jel1988

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra Max 22, John Deere D120
I bought a 6*12 SA utility trailer about 3 years ago when should I repack the wheel bearings? The trailer is only used once a month, roughly 50 hours of road time.

/ Wheel bearings #2  
Right now would be an excellent time to repack them. IF you do it now, then you will know exactly what is going on and will have no worries for a year or so. I repack mine every three years.

/ Wheel bearings #3  
I bought a 6*12 SA utility trailer about 3 years ago when should I repack the wheel bearings? The trailer is only used once a month, roughly 50 hours of road time.

I would..Sears has a bearing packer for like $12--squish and go type..Love mine. Much faster and cleaner than the manual method or trashing a camp pie iron :eek:

/ Wheel bearings #4  
I'm old fashioned and do it the way I was taught, 50 years ago. Handfull of grease and cram it in on both sides. It works, just a little messy. Gas cleans up your hands good but varsol is safer.

/ Wheel bearings #5  
I'm old fashioned and do it the way I was taught, 50 years ago. Handfull of grease and cram it in on both sides. It works, just a little messy. Gas cleans up your hands good but varsol is safer.

I prefer this method too. Dad showed me how quite a few years (not yet 50) ago and I still take comfort in "seeing" it done right. :dance1:

/ Wheel bearings #6  
I hand pack all mine every three years or 10,000 miles.

Chris

/ Wheel bearings #7  
I think that it is time more than miles. In the bad ole days, all cars had front wheel bearings that were essentially the same as trailer bearings. Those bearings got repacked when the brake shoes were replaced. What kills trailer bearings is sitting around with temperature changes that induce moist air into the bearing, which condenses over time. A trailer being used heats up the bearing and hub and drives off moisture.

/ Wheel bearings #8  
Haven't packed mine (tandem equip hauler) in 14 years. .... but been meanin' to.

I did repack the bearing in an old utility trailer that I rebuilt for my son. They were shot...mostly rust. I'm glad that I did. Better get to my hauler this spring before it's too late. Bearings and seals are expensive.

Last edited:
   / Wheel bearings #9  
For the hours it takes (2 or so)per trailer and the couple of $$ worth of grease it is worth it to me for the peace of mind. I inspect the brakes and clean the bearings before repacking them.
I do my hay wagon (4), trip plow (2), army trailer (2) and boat trailer (2). I will let a shop do the Kioti.
The Jeep has the 'new school' sealed bearings. I don't like it, but there isn't much I can do about it either.:mad:

Last edited:
   / Wheel bearings #10  
If I pack them so I know when it's been done, I could--and do-- go 10 years or more on an infrequently used trailer stored indoors. No problem.
I've re-packed many bearings over the years and they can go far longer with today's modern grease. Anyway, I prefer the hand-pack method but I use rubber gloves to ease the clean up. Change the grease seals while you're at it.