Wheel bearings

/ Wheel bearings #11  
Haven't packed mine (tandem equip hauler) in 14 years. .... but been meanin' to.

I did repack the bearing in an old utility trailer that I rebuilt for my son. They were shot...mostly rust. I'm glad that I did. Better get to my hauler this spring before it's too late. Bearings and seals are expensive.

Not really. Order them online and they are dirt cheap. My cost to the door for 3500# axles is $20 per axle for everything. 8000# axles are $34.

My labor is more.

Chris

/ Wheel bearings #12  
Change the grease seals while you're at it.

Recently came into ownership of a trailer which I have not yet inspected/packed the bearings. Does anyone know of an easy way to determine the size of seal to purchase before actually taking the hub off the axle? These are non-braking hubs.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Wheel bearings #13  
Is there a manufacturers tag on the trailer? It should have the serial/vin number for there too.

/ Wheel bearings #14  
Is there a manufacturers tag on the trailer? It should have the serial/vin number for there too.

It's a home built trailer and states that on the title too. Was hoping that the bolt pattern, axle diameter, or something else like that would be a dead-giveaway. If not I'll just plan to start the work on a day I can drive in to town and buy the right size seal.

/ Wheel bearings #16  
Not really. Order them online and they are dirt cheap. My cost to the door for 3500# axles is $20 per axle for everything. 8000# axles are $34.

My labor is more.

Chris

Looks like I got ripped at NAPA...$46 for bearings and seal for single axle small utility trailer...but the counter guy was quite helpful.

/ Wheel bearings #17  
It's a home built trailer and states that on the title too. Was hoping that the bolt pattern, axle diameter, or something else like that would be a dead-giveaway. If not I'll just plan to start the work on a day I can drive in to town and buy the right size seal.

Be sure to take the old seal with you.....the counter guy can't guess at the right one.

/ Wheel bearings #18  
Recently came into ownership of a trailer which I have not yet inspected/packed the bearings. Does anyone know of an easy way to determine the size of seal to purchase before actually taking the hub off the axle? These are non-braking hubs.

Thanks,
Jeff

No real way. I maintain better than 50 trailers an they can very. 90% use basic seals, bearings, and races based off axle capacity but the other 10% can be mail order only items.

Chris

/ Wheel bearings #19  
Looks like I got ripped at NAPA...$46 for bearings and seal for single axle small utility trailer...but the counter guy was quite helpful.

Napa is my last resort. ORILEYS is the best around here. For me I plan all my work weeks in advance and order everything through eBay, Amazon, or Web sites for 1/2 the price.

Chris

/ Wheel bearings #20  
The seal is based off the hub and spindle size and the info can come from that or from the large bearing. Very often you can read the number on the old seal and that's really all you'll need for a new one. This is not difficult.

Only rarely have I bought a seal at a NAPA or place like that. They are way too expensive. Mail order is the only way to go, especially for farm equipment. I pack a lot off oddball sizes and have always found the parts regardless of how obsolete.