TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,061  
Funny that this post came up. Yesterday talking with wife about a new garden plot and she said we need to install a water hydrant next to the new garden plot. I measured it off and it is 180 feet from my closest water now, so it looks like I will be making a trip to Lowes to pick up 1" pipe, fittings and a hydrant today or soon. Its going to be a little backhoe time to get that 180 feet of ditch opened up and I put my water in at minimum the length of the backhoe bucket so the ears are dragging in the dirt at each scoop. This is about 18" and should never be a problem with ripping it up or freezing. I like the 7" bucket for installing water lines as it is plenty wide and doesn't leave such a wide trench to backfill. It works just right to push in some dirt and then compact it by running the front wheel of the B26 in the trench, I usually make two lifts to get better compaction.

Gary;

Saw this on YouTube and thought about your project.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ntj0YLrcng

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,062  
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,063  
rlgustafson - Thank you. I have a similar water hydrant project in mind and live about 5 miles from an Agri-supply. Much closer than New Zealand.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,064  
My driveway was in real bad shape. This winter has been brutal on driveways and roads. We have had a lot of freezing and thawing.

Here are the before pictures.

I used the woods LR72 rake to pull the gravel back up out of the ground. It needs more work but there is no need in trying to get it perfect til spring. We are supposed to get more snow tomorrow.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,065  
For all the small crushed rock in the grass, know that a leaf blower will do a great job getting it back into the driveway. No more raking if you get it before the grass starts growing.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,066  
For all the small crushed rock in the grass, know that a leaf blower will do a great job getting it back into the driveway. No more raking if you get it before the grass starts growing.

That is what I have been doing this year,I picked up that trick on here, maybe from you. The leaf blower works great for that. I'll wait for this next storm to pass and clean them up. I took some trees down today and use the leaf blower to clean up the branches, twigs, and saw dust from the yard.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,067  
My driveway was in real bad shape. This winter has been brutal on driveways and roads. We have had a lot of freezing and thawing.

Here are the before pictures.

I used the woods LR72 rake to pull the gravel back up out of the ground. It needs more work but there is no need in trying to get it perfect til spring. We are supposed to get more snow tomorrow.

Looking good Roger we had about 16-18" of snow on the ground earlier today. I came home from the gym and we have another 2 or 3" inches of fresh snow on the ground and its still coming down.

It was minus -18f friday morning which is darn cold for us and i had a pipe freeze up in my well pit

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,068  
Looking good Roger we've had about 16-18" of snow on the ground earlier today. I came home from the gym and we have another 2 or 3" inches of fresh snow on the ground and its still coming down.

It was minus -18f friday morning which is darn cold for us and i had a pipe freeze up in my well pit

Thanks Dave. I bet 18'' of snow is like nothing for your 8540 to handle. It was warm here today, maybe high 40's or low 50's. It is only 35 now. They are saying we have a potential to get 5 or more inches of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. -18 is crazy. We had about week were the temps dropped below zero.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,069  
Thanks Dave. I bet 18'' of snow is like nothing for your 8540 to handle. It was warm here today, maybe high 40's or low 50's. It is only 35 now. They are saying we have a potential to get 5 or more inches of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. -18 is crazy. We had about week were the temps dropped below zero.

That snows been there a while we got a 18" snowfall in early January Its only gone above freezing for 2 or 3 days in that time. The snow is so hard in some spots i could walk across it. I intentionally waited for the snow to stop before i took the tractor out because we have not had more than about a 6" snow storm since i bought the tractor.

Its definitely pretty impressive to be able to move that much snow I think i grinned and giggled all the way down the drive way. Its also pretty impressive to be able to drive through 18" of snow without using the bucket and Not even have the draw bar touch the snow. At about 2 feet of snow i start to have issues driving through the snow without using the FEL to scrape some of the snow off.
I will say this after this winter If i ever get a smaller tractor it will definitely be a cab tractor this winter has been killer. I could not use a cab tractor in my size, but an L series the size of yours it would work great

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,070  
That snows been there a while we got a 18" snowfall in early January Its only gone above freezing for 2 or 3 days in that time. The snow is so hard in some spots i could walk across it. I intentionally waited for the snow to stop before i took the tractor out because we have not had more than about a 6" snow storm since i bought the tractor.

Its definitely pretty impressive to be able to move that much snow I think i grinned and giggled all the way down the drive way. Its also pretty impressive to be able to drive through 18" of snow without using the bucket and Not even have the draw bar touch the snow. At about 2 feet of snow i start to have issues driving through the snow without using the FEL to scrape some of the snow off.
I will say this after this winter If i ever get a smaller tractor it will definitely be a cab tractor this winter has been killer. I could not use a cab tractor in my size, but an L series the size of yours it would work great

We got around 20'' a couple of weeks ago. I tried drive through some of it with the L4240 and it went right through it. It was a dry snow, a wet should would have been tougher. The BX will go though 16". I actually made a video of it but it was not that good. The L4240 handles the deep snow really well, so much better than the 8N. It is surprising what the BX will do in the deep snow, it is just slow.

Me and my Dad went to clear a driveway a couple week ago for a guy. I was piloting the BX and he was on the 4240. We were on a dirt road and 4 deer ran across the road a couple hundred feet in front of us. As I got closer I could see another deer could not make its mind up, if it wanted to jump the fence or run up the back and across the road. It finally made its mind up and ran across in front of me. It was only about 7' away from the tractor. I swerved at it:laughing: That would have been funny hitting a deer on a BX.