Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid
Deere uses a red dye in the hydraulic oil to help identify oil leaks on the
assembly line.
Deere has adopted a part number for the red dye, MT3668. This is
available in a 12 mil. bottle which will treat 5 gallons of hydraulic oil.
It is very red makes fluid look like blood since installing it have found and stopped 2 leaks

Thanks. That is helpful info.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #12  
IslandTractor ,

Several manufacturer make a fluorescent dye to determine leaks in oil based fluid.

It might be used to see fluid level.

They shine a black light over all hoses, or where they want to look for leaks, and if there is a leak, the dye will fluoresce, glow yellowish green

Dye-Lite® All-In-One.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #13  
Reminds me of my dad, who worked in the aircraft field. He showed me Magnafluxing, probably 50 years ago, where dye was wiped on suspected part's cracks, then wiped off. Any crack would show up under special lighting, quite nicely. Coloring hydraulic fluid so you can better see it seems like a great idea.

IslandTractor ,

Several manufacturer make a fluorescent dye to determine leaks in oil based fluid.

It might be used to see fluid level.

They shine a black light over all hoses, or where they want to look for leaks, and if there is a leak, the dye will fluoresce, glow yellowish green

Dye-Lite® All-In-One.

I was interested not for leak detection, but rather to be able to see the almost clear HST oil on the dipstick. Having it colored anything other than clear would be a big help. Now I really need to use the "blotter paper" method to see where the level is. Not convenient in the field.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #15  
Too bad you are not closer I would give you enough to do your system. We sell it by the gallon. If you can't find any let me know and I will ship you some. CJ

Too bad you are not closer I would give you enough to do your system. We sell it by the gallon. If you can't find any let me know and I will ship you some. CJ

thanks. I'll look for it this spring. I imagine the JD dealers or on line source will have it now that I have a part number.

Do you also find it hard to read the HST dipstick level on your essentially identical DK?

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #17  
thanks. I'll look for it this spring. I imagine the JD dealers or on line source will have it now that I have a part number.

Do you also find it hard to read the HST dipstick level on your essentially identical DK?

I always look for the reflection of the oil in the light so yea it can be a pain. I usually do it when it is cool so the oil is thicker. It was 32 below this morning so it may not even wipe off the stick!!! CJ

I always look for the reflection of the oil in the light so yea it can be a pain. I usually do it when it is cool so the oil is thicker. It was 32 below this morning so it may not even wipe off the stick!!! CJ

That would help but I only use my tractor in warmer weather and trying to see the level is a pain.

I found an online source of MT3668 for less than $4 a bottle so I will order a couple.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #19  
I have a fluorescent leak detector, I don't think fluorescent dye will be a big help with seeing the oil on a dip stick, unless you want to use a black light and special and glasses, every time you check the oil.

How about putting a piece of mat black shrink tube, on the dip stick?

I have a fluorescent leak detector, I don't think fluorescent dye will be a big help with seeing the oil on a dip stick, unless you want to use a black light and special and glasses, every time you check the oil.

How about putting a piece of mat black shrink tube, on the dip stick?

I'd be afraid it would get loose and fall into the reservoir.:eek: