Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,111  
The problem people have is they try to compare Harbor Freight stuff to premium tools. Of coarse they often come up short of snap on. When you come are "Pittsburg" to Stanley I feel they are equal tool for less money. Goes for "Farm Hand" tools at TSC as well; same factory in China probably but 25-50% more than HF's brand. If it feels flimsy in store, it probably is. If you buy the battery powered fly swatter as anything more than a joke, well, I don't know how to help you.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,112  
Look for some reviews - on HF and elsewhere - for that 20 ton press.

If I remember correctly 'Dargo' noted in this thread long ago that his broke a weld the first time he used it. However he claimed he had broken nearly everything he bought at HF.

good idea, i went and checked it out and now i know what to look out for. still for $150. even if i have to do some welding and bolt the jack plate and buy some real arbor plates it's not that bad of deal. unless i can find one on CL.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,113  
Can anyone recommend a tiny apartment-resident tool kit? I've seen these at Ace hardware (expensive!) but not at HF. Does HF sell one smaller than their $25 versions?

Younger Daughter just moved into a studio apartment in NYC and realized she can't even hang drapes on the windows until she gets a few tools. I was thinking about sending her a little pre-made kit, but I don't see one at HF. I may just buy her the components that I don't already have as extra and make a kit to send her: tape measure, 8 oz hammer, multi-tip screwdriver, pliers, tray of small nails screws, cuphooks, etc.. Total size to fit in a Priority Mail carton.

Any advice?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,114  
Can anyone recommend a tiny apartment-resident tool kit? I've seen these at Ace hardware (expensive!) but not at HF. Does HF sell one smaller than their $25 versions?

Younger Daughter just moved into a studio apartment in NYC and realized she can't even hang drapes on the windows until she gets a few tools. I was thinking about sending her a little pre-made kit, but I don't see one at HF. I may just buy her the components that I don't already have as extra and make a kit to send her: tape measure, 8 oz hammer, multi-tip screwdriver, pliers, tray of small nails screws, cuphooks, etc.. Total size to fit in a Priority Mail carton.

Any advice?

Dude you just totally have to get her the "PINK TOOLS" I told my ex gf this was perfect as her sons were always taking her tools! :laughing:

Pink Tools from Sears.com

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,115  

Any advice?

Been there and done that and the only way out was to buy a small assortment of things from HF and call it good. The pre-assembled small packages were filled with truly poor quality tools even by HF standards.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,116  
Dude you just totally have to get her the "PINK TOOLS" I told my ex gf this was perfect as her sons were always taking her tools! :laughing:

Pink Tools from Sears.com
That would be a great solution for that particular problem! :thumbsup: I saw a similar pink kit at Ace hardware. $26 for seven tools and a purse. About the same as the $19 the 'iWork 50-Piece Pink Home' on your Sears page. Sears' prices are much better.

But this daughter would kill me if I sent her stuff she considered pretend, or mocking. The black variant of that iWork kit is about what I'm looking for.
spin_prod_247615101

Or maybe the Craftsman Evolv kit - similar and may be better quality tools.

I would add a couple of items, for example 8" genuine Channellocks for brute force and for plumbing emergency repairs. And maybe a 8 x 12 junior framing square or a try square. Certainly a little tray of small nails, screws, cuphooks, etc.

Thanks DFB for pointing me in the right direction.

Sixdogs - Hmmm. If I find Sears quality that bad, I will duplicate the kit from HF components instead. I agree junk pretend tools are useless.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,117  
Been there and done that and the only way out was to buy a small assortment of things from HF and call it good. The pre-assembled small packages were filled with truly poor quality tools even by HF standards.
I did something similar for my wife at one point. I got a Stanley kit in a carry bag from Walmart (similar to the one linked by California, but yellow/black) and added some channel locks, vise grips and a socket set.

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,118  
That would be a great solution for that particular problem! :thumbsup: I saw a similar pink kit at Ace hardware. $26 for seven tools and a purse. About the same as the $19 the 'iWork 50-Piece Pink Home' on your Sears page. Sears' prices are much better.

But this daughter would kill me if I sent her stuff she considered pretend, or mocking. The black variant of that iWork kit is about what I'm looking for.
spin_prod_247615101

Or maybe the Craftsman Evolv kit - similar and may be better quality tools.

I would add a couple of items, for example 8" genuine Channellocks for brute force and for plumbing emergency repairs. And maybe a 8 x 12 junior framing square or a try square. Certainly a little tray of small nails, screws, cuphooks, etc.

I be proud to have my gf wear a pink toolbelt :D
For an old friend one time I put in a new lowered sheetrock ceiling in her bathroom of she wanted to help do it. Plus she wiggled her way around her kitchen making a pork roast dinner all the while wearing my double pouch belt.

New friend and true Nebraska farm gal says tool belts make her pants fall down :laughing:

Cant beat having good quality tools though good luck with it

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,120  

Thanks for the heads-up, guess I don't have a small engine new enough to require it yet.

I swear it's the tool and/or fastener manufacturers who are behind this...gotta constantly come up with a new weird slot so you need to buy a new set of tools. You always discover these things on a Sunday afternoon when you're all greasy and you already have something all torn apart.