Big tractor syndrome

/ Big tractor syndrome #161  
Once again, I still have not seen any bias against the BX.
Most people simply would want a larger machine for 13 acres. Including me.
If you are happy with it, That's great.
I personally would want bigger. The end.

/ Big tractor syndrome #162  
My answer has always been to the problem is get two I don't see how anyone can get by with only one tractor,

/ Big tractor syndrome #163  
My answer has always been to the problem is get two I don't see how anyone can get by with only one tractor,

I find 3 to be perfect for me.

/ Big tractor syndrome #164  
Once again, I still have not seen any bias against the BX.
Most people simply would want a larger machine for 13 acres. Including me.
If you are happy with it, That's great.
I personally would want bigger. The end.

I could not have said it any better.

/ Big tractor syndrome #166  
I had 2 tractors. One rarely got used any more. So I sold it.
I now have 1 tractor and 1 zero turn = perfect.

/ Big tractor syndrome #167  
Haven't read all 17 pages, so, there. I think people would be surprised with what you can accomplish with a Ford 8n/NAA with the right attachments and attitude. I cleaned out a tank (pond or dirt pond for those east of the Mississippi and north of Tulsa) with an NAA using a chisel, a back blade, and, a rear bucket years ago. Took a week but it got done at the fraction of hiring a dozer.

My dad does just about everything he needs done on a 1000 acre ranch with a 2710 Kubota. Dirt work, spraying, shredding. Now, he's retired and has nothing but time but he gets it done. I've operated some 90hp tractors that would do just about anything another 120hp tractor I ran would do (both MF.)

/ Big tractor syndrome #168  
I don't have a BX but I sure would like to. I stopped at 11 tractors, but have thought about making it an even dozen.

/ Big tractor syndrome #169  
Haven't read all 17 pages, so, there. I think people would be surprised with what you can accomplish with a Ford 8n/NAA with the right attachments and attitude. I cleaned out a tank (pond or dirt pond for those east of the Mississippi and north of Tulsa) with an NAA using a chisel, a back blade, and, a rear bucket years ago. Took a week but it got done at the fraction of hiring a dozer.

Having owned an 8N, I wouldn't be surprised at what you can get done with one, but the reality is, I cost as much per day as a dozer does, so it wouldn't save me a penny.

I can make more money, but I'm having zero luck making more time. :(

With that said, I'd love to have a BX around here for small chores.

/ Big tractor syndrome #170  
JoeinTX;3720560. Took a week but it got done at the fraction of hiring a dozer. My dad does just about everything he needs done on a 1000 acre ranch with a 2710 Kubota. Dirt work said:
There is the answer! Took a week!!!!

I don't have anything against the smaller units. As many others here I would certainly add one to my arsenal if I could right now. BUT on the same note I know the limits compared to other machines. As I stated before I have run them many times and some of that work was the same chores I performed both with my big machine and my 755 which is similar in HP but bigger physically.

So here goes.
Deep snow the BX got stuck and couldn't push the snow banks back to make room for more.
When digging some rather large holes to plant 6 huge trees my neighbor purchased off of me when I got a good deal on a large quantity the BX took all day and the job still wasn't done. I had to go finish the last hole for him with my machine and he was astonished at how quickly I did it Then he tried pushing the huge trees into the holes but couldn't budge them with the BX. But even with a small HP like the JD has it was able to push those big trees right into the holes without any problem. He tried to use my tiller once but ended up having to borrow my machine as well because he couldn't pull the tiller threw the field with any confidence or at a reasonable pace and was struggling for traction on all the uphill slopes. The taller more aggressive stance and tires that would not let the machine bottom out made short work of it again. You posted a vid of yourself towing out a supposedly stuck delivery truck that I could have pulled out with a lawn mower that dosnt even have 4 wheel drive but I ask will it pull that tuck out when its buried down to the axel in mud or will it be able to get enough traction to pull a truck out of the snow bank without digging around it for an hour first?

Add up the time it takes to do a given job. Then figure how much less time it would take to do the same job with a bigger machine. Each time you do so record that amount and see how quickly the smaller machine becomes more costly in the long run. Also take into consideration the wear factor. Yes it will wear much faster working longer hours to do the same task, this is fact and no one with a mechanical aptitude could make any other reasonable argument against it. My JD has worn itself out doing jobs that were just too big for it over time but that old international is still doing the heavy work with ease and will be a good buy for someone when I sell it later this year and its twice as old as the smaller JD. I only wish I could have had it here to do all the heavy work I struggled to get done with the JD. But transport of a machine of its size back and forth from Job sites and other properties is a costly endeavor so I struggled with some jobs that now I wont have to with the new machine.

No bigger isn't always better depending on the persons usage and desire for taking on different tasks but many of us here just like to keep adding to our list of ever changing Ideas and for many they don't get easy as the list grows but instead harder and more time consuming each and every time. I figure in an other 10 years I might be able to sell off anything bigger than a BX and then only have light work for maintaining the property but for now My money and time is much better spent on a bigger machine that dosnt struggle or take all day to get the same results that I can obtain in less than half the time!

Again good luck with your new machine, I hope it is all you will ever need but please stop trying to tout it as the cure all for its not even close! The reason I have a Cat, international, JD, Kioti and a lawn mower is much too obvious to those of us who have been around.

!

Again congats on your new machine!