Big tractor syndrome

/ Big tractor syndrome #171  
There is no accounting for one's experience with a machine and knowing what you can do with it. Only time and practice. We see a lot of people here on this board, new to tractors or land owning, who come here wanting to know what tractor they need to till their garden or cut a pasture or to hobby hay farm. No idea and the answers can be far and wide. Do I need 30hp or 40hp or 50hp? I don't know, what do you know about tractors or implements? What's the time frame? For profit or fun? There is no "right" answer often times. You can move a mountain with a 40 horse tractor or a D11 Cat but the defining criteria is when you want it done by. How much should I spend? Can't tell you. How much do you have to spend and do you know what you're spending it on?

/ Big tractor syndrome
Having owned an 8N, I wouldn't be surprised at what you can get done with one, but the reality is, I cost as much per day as a dozer does, so it wouldn't save me a penny.

That is something that I think is where our sticking point is. In reading between the lines here (and I could be getting this all wrong) you see time on the tractor as work. The comment that you cost as much as a dozer does and saving you money finally made the light bulb go off in my head.

I have been doing the computer thing from the early 80's. Quite a while ago I quit consulting.....I just valued my time more then the money I made....and I made good money doing that. For me time on the tractor is my away time. Where I work now (law enforcement) I am on call 365x7....so I am always stuck with that rotten cell phone, and you can feel it vibrate even on a tractor, but I am away from a rotten screen. I am outside watching the birds, looking at the dirt and the bugs, blue sky and fluffy clouds with green grass and not the same smells I deal with day in and day out. Smells are a very strong memory trigger and some work smell take me back to another much more stress filled time. Getting on the tractor is my get away. For a long while diesel reminded me of military, but finally I now think of the tractor when I smell that smell.

Sorry I rambled....but I am thinking that a great many of you look at these chores as real chores and work....to me it is fun time. I LOVE it outside, I LOVE to mow the yard and have the martins fly around the machine grabbing the bugs that fly up.

But as you see the machine to get something done as fast as possible and go on to your fun time, I look at the machine to save my back, I can't use a shovel anymore, I cut some barb wire fence last weekend, about 2hrs later I could not move my left arm and was hitting the Oxy pretty hard.

If I have read between the lines and gotten this right, then I do understand.

If not guess I am still clueless.

But the words I used to describe the little machines are accurate in what other people have called them. Only the Kubota dealer really wanted to sell the bx, JD wanted to sell me a 3 series, MF the 17xx IIRC....even those dealers don't push those machines.

When the young man came out to give me my new tires (thread in Kubota section) he asked how I liked the grapple....I told him I loved it and that I picked up 3 RR ties with it....that shocked him....that little machine lifted 3 ties....yup...did not seem to have a problem doing it. He was a very nice and polite young man...(I almost said kid again) but even he was shocked at what I was doing with the machine....we even looked at stumps....he said the one had to weigh around 500lbs.

I think that people really underestimate the machine....yes it is smaller and if your goal is getting the work done as fast as possible this is not for you.....but if you just want to take the time and see the humming birds starting to come back while you are "working" then this might be for you.

/ Big tractor syndrome #173  
Sorry I rambled....but I am thinking that a great many of you look at these chores as real chores and work....to me it is fun time. I LOVE it outside, I LOVE to mow the yard and have the martins fly around the machine grabbing the bugs that fly up.

But as you see the machine to get something done as fast as possible and go on to your fun time, I look at the machine to save my back, I can't use a shovel anymore, I cut some barb wire fence last weekend, about 2hrs later I could not move my left arm and was hitting the Oxy pretty hard.

I think for many of us (at least many of the weekend warriors) there are some things we do with our machines that are true chores, and some that are more fun. I like running my tractors, and getting stuff done with them, but my to-do list is so long that speed is important to me. I can run my machines as much as I could possibly want on any given day, and still have a long list of things that I need to get done with them....regardless of whether they're fun, or true chores.

/ Big tractor syndrome #174  
I also think some of the conflict of opinion here is experience on this website. It's common to see new members be very confrontational in their approach. Often taking offense at everything that's said against their opinion. As time goes by most of us mellow. We understand that it's not personal. It's simply a difference of approach to the same topic.

Cherokee's responses tend to have a degrading slant to them. I don't believe he means to sound that way. I also believe that tone will change with time.

I can name others that started the same way. And now they have gotten accustomed to the tone on this forum and have moderated. I'm sure when I started here I was considered the same way. Fortunately the oldtimers were patient with me and now we are great friends.

/ Big tractor syndrome #175  
I also think some of the conflict of opinion here is experience on this website. It's common to see new members be very confrontational in their approach. Often taking offense at everything that's said against their opinion. As time goes by most of us mellow. We understand that it's not personal. It's simply a difference of approach to the same topic.

Cherokee's responses tend to have a degrading slant to them. I don't believe he means to sound that way. I also believe that tone will change with time.

I can name others that started the same way. And now they have gotten accustomed to the tone on this forum and have moderated. I'm sure when I started here I was considered the same way. Fortunately the oldtimers were patient with me and now we are great friends.

I suspect the problem is that Cherokee decided at the out set that he was being up sold in tractor size without the need for it. Most experienced tractor owners/operators don't have to ask what size tractor is needed for a given job. Most of the experienced people are interested in hearing about the slight differences between brands and models and the cost.

Without experience well it is a crapshoot, you think you know what you need, you buy what you think you need, you defend what you bought. If you stick around and keep up with the forum, use your tractor for a few years you start to gain some experience.

/ Big tractor syndrome #176  

I hope you are right, but I can remember quite a few who burned a lot of bridges and are long gone. You've been around a lot longer than I, so I don't know what you were like, but I doubt you were remotely like this, I sure as heck hope I wasn't. Now, I've pointed out many things about which I have changed my mind, but I've always tried to respectful and refrained from denigrating the advice or experience of others and that can be hard at times.

/ Big tractor syndrome #177  
I hope you are right, but I can remember quite a few who burned a lot of bridges and are long gone. You've been around a lot longer than I, so I don't know what you were like, but I doubt you were remotely like this, I sure as heck hope I wasn't. Now, I've pointed out many things about which I have changed my mind, but I've always tried to respectful and refrained from denigrating the advice or experience of others and that can be hard at times.

Sometimes I still get a little arrogant. Murph and James keep me in check....... I use you as a barometer sometimes as well Larry. :D

/ Big tractor syndrome #178  
Sometimes I still get a little arrogant. Murph and James keep me in check....... I use you as a barometer sometimes as well Larry. :D

I got me eye on ya!:cool::eek::dance1: Its all good!

/ Big tractor syndrome #179  
We are all looking out for you Richard:)

/ Big tractor syndrome #180  
And I truly need it and appreciate it my friends. :D