Loader Don't let this happen to you.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #81  
......... There's nothing wrong with putting a tire on with an impact provided the final torque is done with a torque wrench.

Wrong......

/ Don't let this happen to you. #83  

1) My compressor cuts off at 125#. If I touch the trigger of my CP wrench it gets the torque to 100# before I can get my finger off the trigger and that's too tight.

2) If lug nuts are not snugged down initially alternating them (1-3-5-2-4) you can warp a wheel or disc.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #84  
It's not that hard to tighten them down with a chordless impact wrench without overdoing it. I can still do the final tightening/torquing with my torque wrench in the proper order.

You can always back down the cutout pressure on your compressor to a lower setting when using your impact wrench, to prevent over doing things.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #85  
..........chordless impact wrench without overdoing it. I can still do the final tightening/torquing with my torque wrench in the proper order.

I sold my chordless wrench. Can't we just agree to disagree.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #86  
I sold my chordless wrench. Can't we just agree to disagree.

Yes, but you didn't just disagree in your post above to clayhardrock. You simply said "wrong....." which he wasn't, and that was all I was pointing out.;)

/ Don't let this happen to you. #87  
Yes, but you didn't just disagree in your post above to clayhardrock. You simply said "wrong....." which he wasn't, and that was all I was pointing out.;)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

/ Don't let this happen to you. #89  
1) My compressor cuts off at 125#. If I touch the trigger of my CP wrench it gets the torque to 100# before I can get my finger off the trigger and that's too tight.

2) If lug nuts are not snugged down initially alternating them (1-3-5-2-4) you can warp a wheel or disc.

Compressor psi does not set bolt torque. My impact is rated at 600 off and 450 on at 90 psi. My compressor goes on at 125 psi and off at 150.
Plus there are torque settings 1-4.

If your impact is as twitchy as you describe, you may need a different one or check your air supply is delivering 90 psi to the tool. Cheap guages can read 90 and be at 150, seen that. I have 3 different 1/2" impacts that have max torque from 250 to 450#. And those ultimate torque levels take a huge amount of hammering.

Just because you haven't calibrated your tools at a psi input and various torque settings (1-4 in my case), don't assume others haven't. I regularly zip down lug nuts in 3 steps then hand set the final with a tw. After the first step, all the nuts are often finger tight. The second step is getting them all bottomed lightly and the last step puts them a 1/2 turn or so which is 60-80 #.

Of course, nothing wrong with doing it by hand with a calibrated wrench. Just takes more time. But don't blindly trust, because cheap wrenches can read waaaaaay off too and they drift over time and especially if dropped or abused.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Don't let this happen to you. #90  
Sorry, I guess I was at least partly responsible for a HUGE thread drift, but I remain in the camp with clayhardock, john_bud and RG. I will agree to disagree with graydog.

May we please now return to our regularly-scheduled thread?

- Jay