Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #41  
Congratulations!!!! You are going to love how comfortable that seat is, and when it's time, how easy it is to change the blades. The trick is getting the front of the deck up high enough for the bolts to come all the way out. I bent a piece of round rod into an S shape and put it on my floor jack. It hooks under the front of the deck and I can jack it up just high enough to get the bolts out.

Right now I'm using Fusion blades on mine. I was told they hold an edge a lot longer then the other types of blades and I've found that to be true. Gator blades, and Bahia blades work fine, but they do dull pretty quick.

Have fun,
Eddie

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #42  
Congratulations!!!! You are going to love how comfortable that seat is, and when it's time, how easy it is to change the blades. The trick is getting the front of the deck up high enough for the bolts to come all the way out. I bent a piece of round rod into an S shape and put it on my floor jack. It hooks under the front of the deck and I can jack it up just high enough to get the bolts out. Right now I'm using Fusion blades on mine. I was told they hold an edge a lot longer then the other types of blades and I've found that to be true. Gator blades, and Bahia blades work fine, but they do dull pretty quick. Have fun, Eddie

Eddie;

We use a lifting sling and raise the front end of our JD Z820-A with the FEL on the Kubota. Fast, simple and no crawling under it.

Rick

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #43  
Eddie;

We use a lifting sling and raise the front end of our JD Z820-A with the FEL on the Kubota. Fast, simple and no crawling under it.

Rick

I don't have a zero turn but I got one of those electric welches from HF and mounted it on a steel rod in the garage it does like 1700 lbs and is great for lifting up the mower to get to the blades.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #44  
Guesseral, you will love the ztr mower. We have a 48" at our home and a 66" at a place in the country. They make mowing soooooo much easier and faster than any alternative I am familiar with. I used to mow an open flat yard of about 2 acres with a tractor and a 7 1/2" finish mower. I now mow the equivalent area with many more obstacles, turns, etc. in about half the time and much easier with the 66" ztr. And it sounds to me like you got a very good price. Get the tractor also, when you can, and you will really have some fun.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property
Thought a "where are they now" update might be interesting so here it goes. I've had to mow 5 times this season and it is amazing how easy and quick this thing is. What use to take 3 1/2 to 4 hours now takes only 1 hour. The quality of cut is infinitely better and there's no more visible clippings. My wife even got in to the action and has mowed the lawn the last 2 times (even though the last time she initially forgot to lower the deck to cutting height :duh:). All in all I'm very happy with the decision to go with a zero turn rather than a tractor with MMM. Plus, as some one stated earlier, now I can start angling for a tractor without a MMM! Anyway, thanks for all the comments and opinions.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #46  
Sounds like you made the right decision. I learned the same lesson a few years ago. Now I would never buy another one of those little lawn tractors that I used to like. For mowing a few acres it's hard to beat a zero turn.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #47  
I agree Zero Turns are hard to beat.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #48  
You made a great decision and opted for a good commercial grade mower. Anyone trying to save money and buying a cheap ($3000 or less) box store mower will regret it in a few seasons. The decks are not that great and will rust out quickly, the transmissions are cheap and if malfunctions happen which is very likely, they are throw away but will cost about $1000 per wheel to replace which basically makes the mower a use and trash mower as not much can be repaired. I bet you like that suspension seat on the Scag. I like the suspension on the Ferris and it is pretty smooth but I have been thinking of putting a suspension seat on it especially since I have one setting on the shelf in my shop. I would then have the best of both worlds in mowing.

NOW, start looking for that tractor that you wanted.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property
NOW, start looking for that tractor that you wanted.

Definitely!

Question for everyone... do you hose off the grass clippings after every mow or is that not necessary in a residential application of these machines?

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #50  
I usually blow the clippings off with my leaf blower or air hose after every mowing. Once a month I will use the air line to blow out clippings from around the spindles.