Mostly scrap built (but still awesome) land plane

/ Mostly scrap built (but still awesome) land plane
Should I hold off on the sand?... not that it'll make that much of a difference... but if it's questionable if the wheeler can pull it...

/ Mostly scrap built (but still awesome) land plane #72  
Ovrszd,

OMG your serious about a rider? Have Collin find and fill out an application for a Darwin. That would be history to have the application filled out in advance.

A man had his kids ride in the bucket of a Bobcat. They bounced out, he ran over them, and they are dead. Do you think he fells like an idiot now?

What would be an indicator of even lower IQ is if people told him it could happen but he ignored them anyhow.

I think this post must be a plant to see you gullible people can be.

Joke must be on us!

Hmm, was that directed at me? If so, yes I'm serious about having a rider/ operator. I suppose it's hard to picture... it'll become clear soon enough.

Keep in mind that it'll be at a snail's pace... and the only place he could fall would be off at the height of about 18".

I'm not going to debate this on here. If you'd like, you can start another thread in the safety section.

/ Mostly scrap built (but still awesome) land plane #74  
Should I hold off on the sand?... not that it'll make that much of a difference... but if it's questionable if the wheeler can pull it...

Do you have a place to drag it around as it is built now? That's what I would do, go out and see how it pulls now. Colin can stand on it, see of the ATV can get it started moving.

Yeah true. I can just leave the end caps off until I can give it a test. One end of my driveway has a nice big parking area that I can circle around on... but the other ends on a paved cul-de-sac. That's the reason for the casters and neighbor's seat.

Another question; should the tongue be long or short? I'm thinking short will keep from lifting or lowering the front of the plane as much as the terrain rolls. Again, picture it as a trailer with no tires/ wheels/ axle when it's grading, but BAAM! tires when it's being moved. Long enough to jacknife should be good.

Put an honest 4hrs on this today.

Started by capping the ends

After squaring everything up and checking everything 10X, I welded 'er all up.

Started working on the tongue

I ended up flipping the hitch down... figured it was better to pull from down low instead of up high

Here's how far I got

...and just for reference I took this shot to reference where the casters will go. Just picture the jacks on top of them.

That's it for today. I think I'll take it for a "dry" run without the blade once the tongue's done.

You know the old expression; "if you can't tie knots, tie lots!" I'm that way with welding. I figure what I lack in welding ability, I make up for in design. Those pipe ends have over 12" of weld... each end. Shouldn't let go anytime soon. :)

/ Mostly scrap built (but still awesome) land plane #78  
I haven't really been following your thread, but one thought occurs to me.
You might want to drill an extra set of holes on the back side of the angle so that you could install the blade reversed. That should allow you to "backblade" for leveling softer soil or gravel.

/ Mostly scrap built (but still awesome) land plane #79  
That land plane is looking great.

Chad

/ Mostly scrap built (but still awesome) land plane #80  
Looking good, you've got me inspired to build one. You might consider bracing that hitch on the ATV. I can't see yours, but on my Grizzly it was simply bolted to the differential casting, had no strength to resist the higher torque that a 2" receiver hitch adds. For example if someone stepped on the tongue of that 'trailer' what resists the bending on the ATV hitch?