Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described?

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #31  
I think you'll be impressed by the advancements in the 1/2 ton trucks since 2006. Brakes are the biggest improvement in my opinion. The brakes on my '14 Silverado are similar in size to what the HD's had on them from 2004-2010.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #32  
I think a 1/2T will do everything you want.

Now it may not be a possibility, but another option to consider is the one I went with, namely 2 vehicles. I've got a car for my daily commute and an older Dodge 3/4T for the towing I do. Overall for me it was far more economical to do that than it was to get a 1/2T due to the length of my daily commute. The trick is finding an older truck in decent shape that you can pay cash for....

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #33  
Exactly. You asked a simple question, "Could you tell me how diesels are more pricey and how much is pricey?"

You made no claim, nor did you imply, they were not pricey.

We all know what the tone of his comment meant. Here it is again. Keep in mind this guy has a diesel tractor and UTV so he knows oil changes are more expensive and he passes by gas stations so he knows diesel is more expensive. Everybody knows diesel engines are an expensive option at the dealership.

I assume this is with respect to a gas engine. Could you tell me how diesels are more pricey and how much is pricey?

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #34  
We all know what the tone of his comment meant. Here it is again. Keep in mind this guy has a diesel tractor and UTV so he knows oil changes are more expensive and he passes by gas stations so he knows diesel is more expensive. Everybody knows diesel engines are an expensive option at the dealership.

I assume this is with respect to a gas engine. Could you tell me how diesels are more pricey and how much is pricey?

Actually, since he put his words in writing and didn't say them out loud, we don't "all know what the tone of his comment meant". That's part of the problem with this internet thing. It's hard to gauge tone, sarcasm, etc.

If he says he wasn't trying be a jerk, who are we to say he was?

Also, @Chris, jeez, what kind of tires are you buying?? My E-rated BF Goodrich ATs cost $750 cash out the door. Michelin's were 1200. Those are 235/85/16s for my f-250.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #35  
Hey, were forgetting one important reason to get a diesel, because you want one. To be honest, that's why I own one. I do use it for a truck but not every day. I'm sure a 1/2 ton would make more sense for me also but there have also been times I've overloaded and over worked a 1/2 ton in the past. Kind of the same thinking on why to buy a Corvette. A cheap economy car would make more sense wouldn't it?

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #36  
Actually, since he put his words in writing and didn't say them out loud, we don't "all know what the tone of his comment meant". That's part of the problem with this internet thing. It's hard to gauge tone, sarcasm, etc.

If he says he wasn't trying be a jerk, who are we to say he was?

Also, @Chris, jeez, what kind of tires are you buying?? My E-rated BF Goodrich ATs cost $750 cash out the door. Michelin's were 1200. Those are 235/85/16s for my f-250.

I just bought Goodyear Wrangler Tires and they were $289 each. Add tax, mounting, balancing, and TPMS rebuilds and it goes up quickly.

Also, you are running skinny 235 's on 16" wheels. My F350 has 305/65/17's and my F150 has 275/70/18's factory. I don't think any modern 1/2 ton runs anything small than a 17" wheel. Each rim size you go up you might as well add $50 per tire to the price.

Chris

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #37  
Dang and here I was thinking I got a pretty good deal the other day from the local tire place on some 275/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers for 1700 which included a leveling kit and everything associated with buying tires.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #38  
I am in the same process due to some non English speaking driver running a stop sign in front of me last week. Other driver received ticket and DMV report came out today showing other driver 100% at fault. My 2001 3500 DRW diesel/Allison is totaled. Bought it new in 01 it had 70 k miles on it.
I have a 2013 3500 with 3000 miles on it my RV hauler and Saturday ride.
My thinking on the the 1500,2500 discussion is wife and kid pull small 2 horse goose neck aluminum trailer with replacement truck. I have no doubt that 1500 would do the job and if it was just me moving tractors and equipment I would go that way I did it for several years with 1500.
In the event of panic stop, flat trailer tire or violent lane change. I believe the 2500 will be safer and a better choice for them.
I pulled a 16,000 lb 40 foot 5th wheel with 01 3500 for many years. It did it but I was always on edge and needed to " sit up in the seat " as some say. New 3500 handles it easily.
I would vote 2500 just for wifes sake .
Scott

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #39  
Then you've got the upfront cost of the diesel in the first place. Maybe you aren't counting that in the "pricey to run" formula, but you gotta account for it somewhere.

While a Diesel adds $8k or so at purchase over a 1/2 ton gasser. From what I see the Diesel will be worth about that same $8K more when it is a used truck 1-10 years later. You have to consider that also if you consider it upfront.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #40  
"E" rated tires on the 3/4 ton are more expensive... Brakes too. Pretty much all parts on 3/4 ton are more expensive...